Mod projector fog lights into spot lights

300winmag

Enlightened
I recently bought a couple pairs of nice projector fog lights, I want to keep one set stock but want to mod the other set into spot lights.
I took one apart and I think all I have to do is remove a cut off shield and put the lens a little further away from the bulb. Or does it work the other way?
At any rate just the way these lights are designed it will be easy putting in a spacer between the two half's of the light or take some material off the light to bring the bulb closer. Just need some info on the know how folks.
Thanx for any help.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Depending on which (exact - brand and model) fog lamps you're working with, you will likely wind up with more of a flood light than a spot light. This is achieved, as you surmise, by removing the cutoff shield — or, practically speaking, cutting away those portions of the cutoff shield that are actually in the light path, and leaving the portions, if any, that serve to space the lens from the reflector. There's no systematic/predictable direction to move the lens that might tend to narrow or widen the beam. You may be able to experiment along that line by removing the lens from its holder and manually moving it with respect to the reflector in a darkened room, but often there's no narrowing/widening effect of doing so, just focusing/unfocusing.

Good luck!

300winmag

Enlightened
I took the front half of the lens off, put a flash light behind it and moved it closer and further away but it's hard to tell with that shield in the way.
I guess I will have to hook them up to a battery and just play around a bit.
I have some other lenses from an aurora in a junk yard, they seem to focus my single LED lights pretty good but they are big and you need them far away. It is time to tinker I guess. Thanx