Modding my girlfriend's Maglites! Suggestions?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone!

Okay, at long last I have finally gotten the go ahead to mod one of my girlfriend's Maglites. This is the only brand of light she owns. She's stubborn. Will post pics once complete.

What pushed this over the edge? She got a chance to play with an $1.50 light I modded to P60 red thrower 1A. She said "let me know how much it costs to mod the Maglite and I'll pay you."

I'm not going to let her pay me. ;)

Light #1: A 2 D battery Maglite, incan.
Failed: 1. Sureshot Lite Grip 15, a pistol grip accessory for Maglite.No longer available, none located in stock, maker's site is gone.
Done: 2. Glo-Toob Flash Cap for Maglite, already in hand. I have the red one.
WIP: 3. String wrap of the barrel, holding a zip tie sheath to the light. No problems here.
Failed: 4. Laser sight with pressure pad. No pistol grip, no laser sight.
Pending 5. A full head dropin to be determined.

Still considering which options to go for with a full-head dropin. As my girlfriend is going to use this thing, no over-the-top hotwires. I know I'm going to have to clean the switch. I was planning to use a pink pencil eraser and No-ox-id (which I already have.)

Pending 6. Holster. My GF sews professionally, so she's going to roll her own.
WIP: 7. Multifuel battery setup where possible, including sleeving 2d to 3c, 2AA to D parallel adapters. GF says she will learn "battery stuff." :)

Light #2: AAx2 incan Minimag(s)
Done: #1 Niteize tail switch and dropin. Starting her off with safe low-output.
Pending: Actually modded minimag, not a dropin. There may be up to 5 minimags.

Light #3: 6D Maglite, his and hers.
Pending: Awaiting shipment

Can CPF offer up any cool suggestions for my girlfriend's first modded Maglites?

Any weird maglite parts we should know about?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Modding my girlfriend's 2d Maglite! Suggestions?

Are Malkoff drop-ins still top of the line for maglite drop-ins?

Also, are you looking to upgrade the output or more the usability (or both)? I'm assuming she has an incan Maglite?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not quite sure, been out of the loop on mag dropins for a while.

Gene's 270lm beats Tim's 210 on alkalines, afaik. http://tmeijer.nl/en-index.html

Got me thinking about the Malkoff now. I'll look at any available options.

I do not believe Terralux's claims. I have one of their triples already in a Magcharger (4.5v iirc?) It's good (I suppose,) tint a bit cold. Had to clean the switch or the modes would freak out, time to clean that switch again in fact. I'm doubting a 3v alkaline dropin will be much brighter (if at all.)

Also, are you looking to upgrade the output or more the usability (or both)? I'm assuming she has an incan Maglite?
Basically, yes. All of that. Probably one with modes.

Girlfriend update: I introduced her to the Glo-toob Flash Cap, screwed into it's magnetic necklace base. I showed her the Mag, saying "I will put this on the end of your light." Her curiosity is up now.

Also: The Lite Grip 15 is completely unavailable, afaik. Scratching it from the list.

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are those single mode? Can't find mention of modes on the site. Anyone know if they are flat runtime or diminishing output? Is there a spec sheet somewhere? I'm looking carefully at those. Considering NiMH AAx2 parallel D converters x 2 with a Malkoff for her first 2D mag.

Hi MV,

Nice thing your doing. My wife has a hot wire herself. If you want straight dropins I have XML2 and XHP-50 here.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Maglite-1000-2500-lumen!!-Cree-XHP-50-or-XML2
Oh thanks, that's fantastic!

For the 2 D body you you could sleeve it and use 3 C cells in it for the XML2 or 2x 26650 or 18650s for the XHP50
I sent her a message, she's rooting around to see if she's got a 3D incan. Excellent info about the sleeve conversion to 3C. Adding a line item in post 1.

I think her first mod might be the Malkoff, can't start her off at the top :) Planning to get both of your modules at some point, sir. :)

I'm also planning on buying his and hers 6d mags. :)

Haven't demonstrated the Terralux triple in the Magcharger yet, so the cat isn't yet out of the bag. That's for the grand demonstration. Incan minimag, niteize minimag, incan 2d, then Malkoff 2d, then Terralux, then VoB's blasters. A hotwire one day, but not to start with.

Ahh yes, the plans are taking shape! :)

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vestureofblood, fivemega, malkoff and jrob conversions. Research that group.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay, I've decided to start slow with the tamest. Tonight, I present her with an AAx2 minimag with niteize tail clicky and dropin, plus pocket clip and diffuser boot setup. One set of alkaline to play with, one set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium for after that part is past. Don't want leaks in my girlfriends Maglites. :)

...by candlelight over dinner that I've prepared. Tuna and salad. Next comes a tame 2d incan refresh that retains alkaline compatibility. :)

By the end of this thread, hopefully we're up to fairly insane levels. :)

Edit: Lol, this thread is hit #1 in a search for "girlfriend's maglite!" :)

Edit 2: She has lost her 3d mag somewhere, realized it that day. As luck would have it, I have her the minimag that night. Perfect timing! We did beamshot comparisons comparing the incan versus the dropin, with and without a candle for comparison.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Nice! She might slowly get sucked into this hobby as well.

Malkoff drop-ins are single mode, I don't recall seeing a runtime chart so I don't know what the runtime chart looks like.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beamshot of my GF's minimag with the red diffuser (part of the Mag Minimag accessory kit.) Background light is a candle.

I offered her a pile of all accessories I could find for the MM. She took the boot, the tail switch, and the mag holster. I was kind of surprised.

nbqlhw.jpg

Next gift: Maglite 2d with Malkoff dropin. Coming soon: 3d mag with VestureofBlood dropin 1000 lm. If it's brighter than Magcharger with Terralux, then she gets the Magcharger before the VoB dropin.