Modding Skyray king to diving

Benoit

Newly Enlightened
Do you think the skyray king could be easily moddified to diving purpuse.

I dream about a dual skyray king for the GoPro :)
No cord, only the 4 18650, this could give enough time for a dive and then trade batteries on surface.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could it be modified easily? No.

Its not a video light and its not a dive light. It does not look like it has a waterproof AND pressure proof switch or lens.

Flashlight Enthusiast
skyray king is cheaply made to get a lot of lumens and that is all

it is not ruggedized in the slightest

using a 4x18650 pack underwater... and one little failure mode, shorts all 4 batteries...BOOM it can outgas and explode
underwater and shrapnel you and your apparatus. I would not chance diving with an ultra-cheaply made high power lithium light

chance of a gas explosion above water in a lithium light is very rare, but underwater, with a cheese light.... the risk is exponentially increased
and the sky ray king is junk in a can. I know, I have 2 of them. I like them but boy are they junk.

best to get a dive-rated light...or at least something built far better.

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 9 feet the light is subject to 18.5psi Diving lights at 100 feet are subject to about 60psi, big difference in the forces involved.

Norm

Thats not allowing for the internal pressure of 1 bar ( 14.5 psi) so at 9 feet the pressure differential is 4 psi ( or something like that.... I prefer bar and meters).

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thats not allowing for the internal pressure of 1 bar ( 14.5 psi) so at 9 feet the pressure differential is 4 psi ( or something like that.... I prefer bar and meters).

I was just trying to fit in with our non metric friends :)
As the initial post was in imperial units.

Norm