Modified BenchMade 635 Mini Skirmish Knife Thumbho

TOB9595

Enlightened
I had a devil of a time consistently opening the Benchmade Mini Skirmish because of the smaller and chamfered thumbhole from the 630.
Yeah the 630 was chamfered also. But biger for my thumb.
I asked around and I didn't see a fix so I took a Dremel to the top of the thumbhole to gain better purchase and removed the chamfer.

I did this cause I really like everything else about the 635. I failed to open and lock the 635 too many times so this was a must for me. Or trade off the knife.

The thumbhole before grinding and smoothing with a dremel stone.
IMG_36391.jpg

After grinding and smoothing. Didn't take very long at all. I used a magnifying visor to see what I was doing better.
IMG_3663.jpg

To the casual observer it is transparent.
AND most importantly, I open the blade 100% of the time.
Tom

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Very nice and practical mod to what looks to be a nice knife. I was very impressed with the Skirmish in the first place, but knew it was too big for the edc and use catagory for me. The Mini looks about right.

Santelmo

Enlightened
I'm actually trying to decide between a Stretch and that one. I've recently retired my S&W SWAT folder after five faithful years of continous use. Yup, they may not be the best folders around having a "POS" reputation, but with their price and the time it served me, can't complain much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll second that it's big brother is a little too big to EDC though I'm a bit concerned about sharpening a recurve. Could you tell a novice on how you might sharpen it when time comes?

Santelmo

Enlightened
. . .Oh, BTW, how's the lock-up? Could you post a pic as well? Much obliged to ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened
Re: Modified BenchMade 635 Mini Skirmish Knife Thu

[ QUOTE ]
Santelmo said:
. . .Oh, BTW, how's the lock-up? Could you post a pic as well? Much obliged to ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure what pic you want.
I'll take a variety later.
Let me know if I hit it for you.
The lockup is tight. No vertical or horizontal blade play.
Since I did this a lot of folks gave me more ideas.
Dental floss or 55 inner core strands wrapped round the top opening.
AND the "One Armed Bandit" still trying to get a pic. This is a screw on thumbstud that you position on the spine. It was initially used for nail nick knives, I think.
Tom

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work Tom,

You've inspired me to do a little modding of the thumbstud on my MiniRSK.

There are two studs and the one opposite the one you use to open the blade often gets caught on the inside seam of my carry pocket. And so, I took apart the studs (Torx T6) and am looking for a panhead bolt to replace the "weak side" stud.

Wilkey

Santelmo

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
TOB9595 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Santelmo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure what pic you want.
I'll take a variety later.
Let me know if I hit it for you.
The lockup is tight. No vertical or horizontal blade play.
Since I did this a lot of folks gave me more ideas.
Dental floss or 55 inner core strands wrapped round the top opening.
AND the "One Armed Bandit" still trying to get a pic. This is a screw on thumbstud that you position on the spine. It was initially used for nail nick knives, I think.
Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooopss! Sorry if I wasn't clear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif . I meant about the lock mechanism on the blade, a framelock/monolock right? If you could shoot some pics on the how it locks up the blade? Just curious about the thickness of the slab. Thanks again!

TOB9595

Enlightened

I just saw a pack of 12 Thumabobs $9.00 which mounts on a blade spine allowing you to open it one handed

Pg 33 of the Sheffields catalog I note above
Tom

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Tom,

I'll check this out.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahhh,

I couldn't wait for parts so out came the trusty Dremel. I took apart the two-piece thumb stud and used a stone to grind down one of them. I finished the job with a medium sanding drum. Reinstalling was a cinch and a speck of Loctite Blue medium-strength removable threadlocker sealed the deal.

The weak-side stud no longer snags on my pocket seam and so the draw is smooth. Since it's on the weak side, the shaved stud doesn't affect operation or safety.

Here are way too many pics of my simple mod.

MiniRSKstud01.jpg

MiniRSKstud02.jpg

Wilkey

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Santelmo said:
I'm a bit concerned about sharpening a recurve. Could you tell a novice on how you might sharpen it when time comes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those are a pain. I resharpened a buddy's Emerson Commander using a stone where I could, and some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around various dowels to get the very curved portions of the blade. Just go SLOW and careful and check your angles. Also, don't do the backside of the blade where it's flat gound. Just hit it lightly after you're done the front to make sure you didn't leave any burrs behind.

Hope this helps.

TOB9595

Enlightened

Here's a solution from Friend Blades. He wraps the top of the hole with floss or 550 inner core. If I'd a known this It's probably what I would have done first.
Nice Job, Blades
Pic is courtesy of Blades
ed100_1023.jpg

Tom

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

The "floss" I use is my wife's cross stitch floss. They have about 1000 colors to choose from, and my brother wanted orange for some reason. My mother wanted maroon/red for her Dragonfly. I have also used the inner 550 cord(on my mini-AFCK), and then blackened it with a Sharpie, and put Elmers white glue on it. It helps alot with snagging it open on the draw.

Blades

TOB9595

Enlightened

Hey Wilkie
Nice job on the grind, Buddy!
Who needs to wait for parts when you can get the immediate gratification and satisfaction of grinding it away..
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Santelmo, I didn't catch the sharpening Q from way above.
I sharpen this and so many others on a Spyderco Sharpmaker with no problem. Quick, clean, compact.

The knives I have problems with sharpening are the Emerson Chisel grind Tantos. I'm still workin on it
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Tom,

Thanks! I left the head a bit swirly from the final sanding. Looks nice and satin-like. I love the way the knife draws now. I guess it's the simple things in life (often Dremel-aided) that can bring such satisfaction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

Santelmo

Enlightened

Thanks to Tob9595 and Sween1911 (nice sigline BTW) for their reponses.

Just bought an Endura, mainly for defense, recently since the only Skirmish on the gun store I had seen it on just sold it and don't know when they'll have another one in stock. I feel terribly naked without any EDC knife (and Q3 too of course!). Still, the Skirmish design (big and mini) seems to be a neat knife to have.

I'm still adjusting to a "hole" opening since I find it a tad too small and "slick", a throwback to being accustomed to a thumb-opener I suppose. That mod by Blades on the opening got me thinking of modding it similarly.