Moon light mode and old age

fnj

Enlightened
Lots of great points made in this thread. Just a few I'd like to add:

1) Efficiency is critically important to some of us (not surpisingly, opinions vary). I have a homemade nightlight in my bedroom that runs 24x7 (it doesn't even have a switch). A single AA lasts 6 months to a year in it, so it's a good bet that the output is under 0.1 lumens, and completely unfocused in any way other than the 5mm LED capsule. It makes all the difference for me in terms of general room illumination. No matter what time of day it is, with that tiny bit of illumination I never wake up inside an impenetrable coalsack, even if the power has quit, as is its wont. I guess my suggestion is, a lot of people might want to try this with one of their flashlights. If the circuit is highly efficient, like a ZebraLight or an old HDS or NovaTac, or some Quarks, and not much else, it is fairly practical to use for this duty. Others, which can't last more than 4-8 days or so at any setting are not useful for this particular duty.

2) With the benefit of 67 years, few would say I am actually "old", but I do have experience with degradation of vision as well as other systems. Truly low settings rely entirely on dark adaptation. And what I found out about dark adaptation is that the old adage about vitamin A is absolutely true. If your dark adaptation goes, you can treat it very effectively, and bring it 100% back, with Vitamin A treatment. A good quality fresh 10-15 oz Carrot Juice such as Bolthouse will do the trick. A full bottle will give you 700% of RDA. And that's what it takes if you are pretty far gone. After a couple of weeks of 1/2 to 1 bottle a day you will probably see a dramatic difference. I sure did. You can also use supplements, but there exists the possibility of harmful OD'ing with some of them. Seek knowledgeable help if you go that route, but the juice will no way ever hurt you unless you drown in it.

After your treatment regimen has achieved dramatic results, the maintenance requirement for vitamin A is of course greatly reduced.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Lots of great points made in this thread. Just a few I'd like to add:

1) Efficiency is critically important to some of us (not surpisingly, opinions vary). I have a homemade nightlight in my bedroom that runs 24x7 (it doesn't even have a switch). A single AA lasts 6 months to a year in it, so it's a good bet that the output is under 0.1 lumens, and completely unfocused in any way other than the 5mm LED capsule. It makes all the difference for me in terms of general room illumination. No matter what time of day it is, with that tiny bit of illumination I never wake up inside an impenetrable coalsack, even if the power has quit, as is its wont. I guess my suggestion is, a lot of people might want to try this with one of their flashlights. If the circuit is highly efficient, like a ZebraLight or an old HDS or NovaTac, or some Quarks, and not much else, it is fairly practical to use for this duty. Others, which can't last more than 4-8 days or so at any setting are not useful for this particular duty.

2) With the benefit of 67 years, few would say I am actually "old", but I do have experience with degradation of vision as well as other systems. Truly low settings rely entirely on dark adaptation. And what I found out about dark adaptation is that the old adage about vitamin A is absolutely true. If your dark adaptation goes, you can treat it very effectively, and bring it 100% back, with Vitamin A treatment. A good quality fresh 10-15 oz Carrot Juice such as Bolthouse will do the trick. A full bottle will give you 700% of RDA. And that's what it takes if you are pretty far gone. After a couple of weeks of 1/2 to 1 bottle a day you will probably see a dramatic difference. I sure did. You can also use supplements, but there exists the possibility of harmful OD'ing with some of them. Seek knowledgeable help if you go that route, but the juice will no way ever hurt you unless you drown in it.

After your treatment regimen has achieved dramatic results, the maintenance requirement for vitamin A is of course greatly reduced.

LOL

Bolthouse carrot juice is almost $7/liter, I think more than the cost of recharging batteries.

:thinking:

582f675d57b6972ca73b63682dc9e8b9.jpg

:D

Seriously, if you improve your night vision with good health practices (Even smoking is bad for night vision, etc...), including carrots, etc....you will see better even with a flashlight, as the available lux will simply reveal more detail to you.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no way I'd be seen using a flashlight in a restaurant, moonlight or not.

As you may have young eyes but many of us do not and the extra help by a bit of moon mode is good and you do not at all stand out like the local village poser.I find the mode very useful on an evening flight back from Berlin as it does not bother who i am sitting next to.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no way I'd be seen using a flashlight in a restaurant, moonlight or not.
That's funny, because I enjoy ANY opportunity to use my lights. Also, I've found as I've gotten older I've been experiencing an increase in contrast between moderately bright light sources and patches of darkness. For instance, at a restaurant with dim lighting and candles on the table, that candle seems to cause my eyes to dim down enough that I can really use a bit of help reading the menu, and since all my friends know of my flashlight affliction, they find it amusing to see me pull out my light, while for me it's the highlight of the meal :D.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) .... I guess my suggestion is, a lot of people might want to try this with one of their flashlights. If the circuit is highly efficient, like a ZebraLight or an old HDS or NovaTac, or some Quarks, and not much else, it is fairly practical to use for this duty. Others, which can't last more than 4-8 days or so at any setting are not useful for this particular duty...

Curious if you've run any efficiency tests between these brands at sub-lumen levels, or are just judging "highly efficient" based on marketing specs. Reason I ask, is that I've run THIS side-by-side efficiency comparison, and on a lumens-hrs basis (lumens x hours) found, well.... the results differed significantly from their marketing specs (and by multiple factors for some).

Good tip on Vit. A. You should check out TEEJ's Trit lantern :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I've also got the Peak Eiger with a QTC in twisty format, but it tends to be... twitchy. The QTC is nice when it works.... but it doesn't work consistently...

Agree with you on the Peak QTC, I have the El Cap. In theory, it's infinitely variable UI can dial in just what you want, and it is definitely is VERY efficient - right there with the best actually, but between the QTC settling and semi-regulated driver, it just requires too much "attention" to run at a consistent sub-lumen output.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
And with a small AA or AAA flashlight with moonlight mode, I'm never seen using it. ;). You'd be surprised how useful even a bare sliver of light can be when reading something in what some restaurants call 'ambiance'.

Agree with you on the Peak QTC, I have the El Cap. In theory, it's infinitely variable UI can dial in just what you want, and it is definitely is VERY efficient - right there with the best actually, but between the QTC settling and semi-regulated driver, it just requires too much "attention" to run at a consistent sub-lumen output.

I've had it START low, only to suddenly jump up to 30-50% brightness after 4-5 seconds. Or I can twist it almost 2/3 of the way up, and it barely glimmers. The same 2/3 twist at other times gets the expected 2/3 or 3/4 to full output.

In theory, the QTC should be efficient due to it only letting what's needed through. In reality... I'm thinking the environment around it (temperature and humidity) play just a big a factor as how far you compress the QTC material in the switch as well as how 'worn' it's gotten.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had it START low, only to suddenly jump up to 30-50% brightness after 4-5 seconds. Or I can twist it almost 2/3 of the way up, and it barely glimmers. The same 2/3 twist at other times gets the expected 2/3 or 3/4 to full output.

My El Cap doesn't sound nearly as volatile.... output moves around a bit and needs frequent adjustment initially, but it's very predictable. I think what gets me more is the battery crusher design. I use a momentary max from ON (any lower mode in use) feature frequently, and to do similar on the Peak feels abusive to the cells and is a little disconcerting with Lithiums.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say it doesn't feel as bad on the Peak Eiger twisty body, but... yeah, it's twitchy. No matter how slow I go, it always seems to need different distances, depending on the day, to get the same output. Even when temperatures are (approximately) the same... and it may not stay at that level either.

funkychateau

Enlightened
I just turned 60, and I use the lowest setting on my Zebralight SC600-II as a tailstanding night light in my bedroom. I find that if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can see by the light from the ceiling bounce. If I need to go to the restroom, I pick up the night light and go. If I need to investigate elsewhere in the house, I double-click to get to the "normal" low mode, which doesn't totally ruin my night vision.

A bonus is the long battery life in this mode. I use the night light at least 8 hours per night, plus a little bit of miscellaneous use, and I have not recharged the 18650 since (approximately) late June.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just turned 60, and I use the lowest setting on my Zebralight SC600-II as a tailstanding night light in my bedroom. I find that if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can see by the light from the ceiling bounce. If I need to go to the restroom, I pick up the night light and go. If I need to investigate elsewhere in the house, I double-click to get to the "normal" low mode, which doesn't totally ruin my night vision.

A bonus is the long battery life in this mode. I use the night light at least 8 hours per night, plus a little bit of miscellaneous use, and I have not recharged the 18650 since (approximately) late June.

Another reason why the moon/menu mode is of far more use than the silly strobe settings on most lights.