More 7C Maglites.........

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I finally modded my 7C. I stuck an FM--MOP, I believe--reflector with the small hole, a potted WA1274, which fortunately, is very well centered and works perfectly with the small holed reflector (if the potted bulbs aren't perfectly centered, they may rub on the reflector hole, (especially when trying to focus) which is just big enough for them to fit through. Also, I added a Borofloat lens. For the juice, I'm using Eneloops! I figured Eneloops would definitely be the way to go, since, even though I won't be using this light much, I do want it to be ready to go whenever I might want it. I bought some of those AA to C adapters off of ebay for this. AA Eneloops in place of the C batteries really lightens it's up a lot (batter up!). I first tried the stock PR-20 bulb, so I could make a good comparison. Actually, there is no comparison, the WA1274 is *SO* much brighter and appears to be as white as can be (of course, I might change my mind about that, if I were to bring out an LED for tint comparison). I imagine the difference in output between stock and modded is the difference between a Minimag Incan and a Minimag 3AA. The difference in output is HUGE, and I just love the MOP reflector.

Oddly, I put the newly modded light back into it's plastic box! (with batteries, mods and all)

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you put it back in the box so you can ship it me. I can't seem to find your PayPal addy though.

Just kidding 'cause I'm a little envious.

I like the idea of the 1 AA to 1 C adaptors using eneloops. Easy to feed, ready when you need it and yes, bat speed will be better than 7C NiMhs.

Congratulations, Trashman. You may be the only one in the world that has this excellent set-up.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Dont know What i got my first one for... Totally new in box and Mint...Probably arround $100

I bought a realy battered one for around $80, Still functional though, and then a week later a used but good condition, with just a few chips and nicks for around $70.

The beaten up one is loaded with 5 emoli, and various high end osram lamps, and is a real monster... the other two are hibernating, untill I mod them :naughty:

Last edited:

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Damn, what's so special about those 7C's? Yes, they aren't produced anymore and yes, their battery compartment is five centimeter longer then that from the 6C. But the batterycompartment of the 6D is still a centimeter longer and much wider. And costs only about $40... :naughty:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, what's so special about those 7C's? Yes, they aren't produced anymore and yes, their battery compartment is five centimeter longer then that from the 6C. But the batterycompartment of the 6D is still a centimeter longer and much wider. And costs only about $40... :naughty:
I personally don't like any of the "D" maglites longer than 3D because of their size. My favorite mag size is 4C, and having a longer "C" maglite IMHO would just be a cool novelty more than anthing else. Here would be my preference, from favorite to elast favorite:

Also, for running things like Emoli cells, or AW C-Cells, long C hosts are perfect as that's what is needed to get into the 5-6 cell territory necessary for the high power (>100W) incan lamps. While those batteries can fit in a 6D, I personally hate battery compartments that are filled with "magic air" or PVC piping, when a narrower tube will give me the same runtime, with also less weight.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Collecting interest recently took off due to increased discussion on places like CPF. A few years ago I was passing on 7C eBay auctions for under $40 because they seemed overpriced.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
My over 20 year old 6C Mag converted to ROP is still serving me well. The thing I like about the old Mags is the aluminum is thicker than the new ones.

I'm with ABTOMAT. CPF and other forums sure have escalated the prices of these. I too passed on several of the 7C's awhile back because they were hitting $50.00.

CPF and others have also escalated the prices of even run of the mill vintage flashlights. I used to pick up old lights for a song and upgrade them just for fun. Now, it's almost impossible as everyone it seems is having bidding wars on them.

I'm not whining because if old lights increase in value, so be it. It was just nice to get the vintage lights for cheap and upgrade them. If I had one of these 7C's, I'd use the hell out of it! :)

willrx

Enlightened
Gene,
Thanks for sharing. I missed out on those days you and ABTOMAT (and others) are referring to. Nevertheless, the recent surge in popularity has given newcomers (or at least newercomers) like me an enjoyable hobby-learning alot too along the way. Feel free to post a picture of your 6C if you wish-I welcome the opportunity to see these older Mags in different forms. Thanks again.:)

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
willrix,
I totally agree and whatever something is worth to someone, well, that's what it's worth! I'm glad you're learning as I know I still am. :)

Here's the old 20+ year 6C which has been converted to a ROP:

OldMag6C003.jpg

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, I also wanted to say, forget the rise of prices in old Maglites which in the grand scheme of things aren't all that bad.

Years ago, I had a bunch of Surefire lights that I purchased in the middle '80's. One was the original Surefire 6, (or 6C), which is now known as the 6P. It was mint and in the original plastic case with the original sheath. I sold it here on CPF for $35.00 way back when. I just recently saw one sell for over $650.00! Now that's a rise in price! :)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa, Gene, that's one BA 6C ROP. My 5C ROP looks a little puny in comparison. I've been meaning to fashion one of those Navy knot cord wraps on it but it still has a NiteEyes that I find to be quite useful. I really like my two 6Cs (1166 and 1185) and I use one of them every night. 6Cs are beautiful to me.

But mint 7Cs? Will, those are just knuckle dragging useless and butt ugly to boot. Tell you what. Because you're such a nice guy and I'm such a nice guy I'm willing to help you out. Go ahead and send those stupid sticks to me. I'll send you, oh, let's say 10 bucks a piece. I'll even pay the shipping. Then soon the living nightmare of owning those bundlesome bats will fade and become a distant, painless memory. How's that sound...buddy? :D