More Money - More Problems?

Al

Enlightened
Just an impression I'm getting ...

With the onset of more technologically (spelled that right?) advanced AA chargers at higher & higher prices becoming available, it seems that threads on CPF are then generated discussing the problems and anomalies that users are experiencing with them. Are we getting what we pay for?

What would be the recommendation - based on knowledge & experience - of a readily available charger that does what it's supposed to do at a reasonable (means inexpensive) price and doesn't harm or overheat the batteries?

Translation: Plug it in, add batteries, go about your business and return to
the charger confident that your batteries are fully charged
and ready for use.

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
I dont have expensive chargers just the Energizer 15 minute charger $27 and a couple Panasonic BQ-390 travel chargers $10 each. I dont feel I have to know my batteries are perfectly charged. I figure I am saving so much not buying Alkalines anymore and filling up landfills that the price of chargers is no big deal. The new chargers that have all the bells and whistles will have their problems corrected in time.

wacomme

Newly Enlightened
I'm with Al and his "translation". With all of the technology available today, it's simply amazing there's no "plug and play" charger available today. That may be somewhat an over-exaggeration, but not by much. Even the Triton charger seems overly complicated. I want a charger that you plug into the wall, plop in (no clips, except for batteries that require them) an assortment of batteries (NiMH. Li-ion, lead acid, low voltage, high voltage) in various conditions (low charge, high charge, fresh, needs to be discharged) and leave them there until they're ready to use. We have universal remotes for TVs; I want a universal charger. Battery charging is something I shouldn't have to "think" about.

OK. There's my rant.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an old Rayovac PS1 charger years ago. It has 4 separate charging channels, does AAs or AAAs, auto senses nicads vs. nimhs vs. rechargeable alkalines, cost me about $10, and has never given me any problems. It may be a little slow (~12 hours for a fully discharged 2000 maH) but I've got time...

Latest posts