More on Hydrogen Cars...

Darell

Flashaholic
Good for you ikendu, and Brock, and all you other TDI fans!

I've never smelled a biodiesel exhaust that had NO smell though (compared to, say an EV's exhaust). The ones I've been around have smelled much like french fries.

Regular diesel exhaust destroys my appetite, but biodiesel exhaust makes me hungry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
mmmbblll....mumble...grumble. Darell, I wish you'd shrink that photo up there so won't have to keep scrolling back n' forth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
mmmbblll....mumble...grumble. Darell, I wish you'd shrink that photo up there so won't have to keep scrolling back n' forth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. Never feel shy to say the word. I put them up small enough so that they don't screw up my browser/screen size/resolution situation. I know it isn't the same for everybody. I just cut it. Everybody's seen it who wants to by now.

Empath

Flashaholic
Thanks for trying to take care of it, but I wasn't trying to get you to cut it.

Darell

Flashaholic
Oh, I know. I just took the lazy way out. I've gone back and linked the picture, which is what I should always do, I suppose. Makes the thread load faster for everybody.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell said: I've never smelled a biodiesel exhaust that had NO smell though (compared to, say an EV's exhaust). The ones I've been around have smelled much like french fries.

Well...this test was conducted in a parking ramp in downtown Iowa City, so... there were probably a lot of competing smells to deal with...it likely does have some smell. It is just so dramatically diminished from the regular diesel smell to seem like no smell at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Although...maybe:

100% Dino Diesel smells...
100% BioDiesel smells like french fries...

40/60 B40 is the perfect balance in between for NO smell??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously though...since I filled up on BioDiesel on Friday, it is the first time in my life that I feel really free to drive around "guilt-free". All my life I've been interested in alternative, renewable fuels. Shoot man, I was reading about solar cells when I was like 10 years old. It has always been...well, in the next 20 years or so...there will be cars like...

It was always "artist's renditions" on the cover of Popular Science or something like that.

NOW MAN... I am DRIVING an alternative fuel vehicle that is RENEWABLE...and it feels...GREAT! FREE!

...and all for a measly $15-20 extra per month! No more waiting!

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ikendu said:
NOW MAN... I am DRIVING an alternative fuel vehicle that is RENEWABLE...and it feels...GREAT! FREE!

...and all for a measly $15-20 extra per month! No more waiting!

[/ QUOTE ]
Your enthusiasm is catching, as usual. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Never be afraid to dream... imagine an alternative fuel vehicle with more performance and FREE fuel. Ah yes. Now you have MY situation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Darell you will have to start another thread about the system your installing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your wish. My command: Darell's PV system thread.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way my diesel wagon finally came in, got it Monday, already put 200 miles on it and it is still above the 7/8 mark on the fuel tank. Anyone car to wager when the low fuel light comes on, my wife is betting on 600 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm more excited by this than you may know. I want pictures! How many miles now?

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
Darrell-

Thanks for 411. I was completely in shock when i hitted tzero website. unbelieveable so fast 4.1 sec at 0-60mph. avg 100 miles at 60mph crusing. I like it! Problem is the costs and their website stated cost between porsche and ferrari. Obiviously they talking about 60-80,000.00 dollars for purchase a Tzero EV vehicle. Nobody could afford purchase EV :-\

I guess I stick with TDI instead. I live in california and they dont sell the TDI vehicle. I asked some folks who have the TDI vehicles resident in california. They told me they have to go out of state like Nevada/Arizona/Oregon to purchase the vw TDI then bring in california.

Ikendu- Beware do not use BioDiesel for your VW TDI. VW dealer warned every TDI owner to not use BioDiesel or your warranty will be voided. I am member of VW Vortex and I have 1989 VW GLi 16V. I always interested to read in the TDI forum that how i found out that few of someone who work for the vw dealer and they gave a warning to everyone to remind not to use the biodiesel. If you still have a warranty on your TDI vehicle.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still under warranty...and I'm using biodiesel.

I've heard spotty reports about whether this is or is not a problem. Some folks warn against using or letting the dealer find out that you are using biodiesel...others tell of no problems, warranties being honored...even laws that prevent warranty cancelation unless the manufacturer can prove that the problem was caused by the fuel.

In any event, my license plate says "SOYFUEL" and I got the car to actively promote the use of the fuel...so, I really don't have a choice. I'm definitely "out there" publicly using biodiesel. If it ever would turn into a warranty problem...I'll just have to deal with it.

BTW...it won't be long now until it has been a year that I've been on biodiesel. The car runs great on BD, in fact, now that it is winter, I'm having to run a 20% blend ("B20") so the fuel will flow properly in the cold.

Wow! What a difference. I long for the return of the warmer temperatures so I can get back onto 100% biodiesel. It is so much cleaner and the car runs smoother and quieter on B100.

Actually, since I run now with petroluem for a small percentage of the year, I've calculated that my use of petroleum fuel has been cut by over 75% (so, I'm more than "carrying my weight" for getting the U.S. off of imported oil...U.S. imports a little more than 50%).

And...if I calculate my annual miles per gallon of petroleum based fuel, I'm getting about 190 mpg (in terms of petroleum usage)!

Now Darell...let me bask in the glory of that for just a moment before you remind me that your cool SUV uses NO petroleum so it gets like "infinite miles per gallon". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chr00t said:
Thanks for 411. I was completely in shock when i hitted tzero website. unbelieveable so fast 4.1 sec at 0-60mph. avg 100 miles at 60mph crusing. I like it! Problem is the costs and their website stated cost between porsche and ferrari. Obiviously they talking about 60-80,000.00 dollars for purchase a Tzero EV vehicle. Nobody could afford purchase EV :-\

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah... that was SO seven months ago. The current Tzero does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and has a range of 300 miles. Can be completely recharged in under 2 hours, or can be slow-charged from just about ANY outlet in the world (minimum 12 Amps). Yes, I said 3.5 seconds 0-60. And that isn't even a professional driver.

Remember that this is a technology car. The cutting-edge platform to develop and test their latest technology. Think of this car as the $300 LED flashlight. Few really need it, most folks want it, and it paves the way for the "consumer versions" that follow. And nobody really says "nobody could afford flashlights" because of it. And people DO buy Porsches and Ferraris. While the Tzero is cheaper than a Ferrari, it still beats it. Probably even in range. ACP will use this same tech in a "sane" vehicle very soon, and it will cost the same as an equivalent gas version. I cringe when I hear "nobody could afford [to] purchase [an] EV." It simply is not true, and is just what the automakers want you to think. The only reason we can't buy them is because the auto makers aren't making them!

I do appreciate your interest...

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell said:...ACP will use this same tech in a "sane" vehicle very soon, and it will cost the same as an equivalent gas version.

Come on, Darell, share...

Any links on this? More info? You know I'm lookin' for a replacement for my gas guzzling, "stinky gas car", Honda civic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what if we just mae gas cars more eficant,ive heard that a gas car is only like 10% efeciant 90%of the gas is wasted maybe i miss heard it though

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can bet that if such a vehicle comes out, they'll govern the thing to where it won't do 0-60 in anything less than 7 seconds.

0-60 in 3.5 seconds is faster than even some of the fastest super sports cars from Europe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with ikendu Darell, cough up the details on that!

My car often smells like french fries, on the inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but only for a few days after my daughter has been eating them in the back seat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif after that I generally get around to fishing all the fallen ones out...

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'd love a sane EV that was being sold to the masses. Hopefully they can provide nation-wide service. How tough could it be to train a few independents nation-wide? These things don't require that much maintenance and repair, right?

Is it a ground-up or a conversion? A ground up would be sweet but I'd settle for a converted Chevy Malibu or Toyota Echo.

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
ikendu- Now I understand what you mean. Allright no problem, I am consider go purchase used a TDI vehicle and have it run biodiesel. Are you serious about 190MPG with biodiesel B100 during summer time. How many MPG during winter time with B20 mix with diesel? I assume 60mpg with B20?

Darell- wow unbelieveable fast! I wish i could afford buy tzero right now! I would use it for just drive around the city .

I have 96 Cherokee Jeep Sport 4x4. I upgraded ignition, performance parts, Fuel Power/Lube Control, Oil bypass filter and etc. I gained 20mpg to 24mpg (once successful 27mpg with 55mph on I-5 highway). I still struggle with stop -go and city BAD MPG. I get 17MPG - That is why i am looking best gas mileage like VW TDI. If TZERO is cost cheaper under 30,000.00 price tag and i might go for it.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
chr00t said:...Are you serious about 190MPG with biodiesel B100 during summer time[?]

No...not like that. What I mean is, I get 44 mpg on 100% biodiesel. But, each mile that I travel on biodiesel consumes no petroleum. In the winter, I have to run a blend to keep the fuel flowing. So...in the winter, I am using some petroleum. When I add up all the miles I travel in a year and the amount of petroleum I consume in the winter, my effective petroleum mileage is 190 mpg.

If I lived on Maui (in Hawaii), I could use 100% biodiesel all year long 'cause of the warm temperatures. I'd never consume any petroleum...but I'd still be getting only 44 mpg on the biodiesel (made from non-petroleum sources).

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chr00t said:
I have 96 Cherokee Jeep Sport 4x4. I upgraded ignition, performance parts, Fuel Power/Lube Control, Oil bypass filter and etc. I gained 20mpg to 24mpg (once successful 27mpg with 55mph on I-5 highway). I still struggle with stop -go and city BAD MPG. I get 17MPG - That is why i am looking best gas mileage like VW TDI. If TZERO is cost cheaper under 30,000.00 price tag and i might go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very cool chr00t!! You are the first person that I know to upgrade/modify your car to get higher mpg. Because I am sick of my co-worker keeps telling me about what he does to his car just to get more horse power and sacrifice the mpg. And again, I have to see a lot of them on the street screeching their tire burning more fossil fuel than they need to and they are so proud of them.

For you who upgrade/modify cars for hobby, higher horse power is EASY to do. Learn from chr00t, it is much more challenging to make your cars more efficient, not the other way around.

Latest posts