Most powerful: Luxeon 5W LED or Surefirire M2?

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
Hello, if both Nitestar Luxeon 5W LED Flashlight ALX-352L and Surefire M2 (xenon) produce 120 lumens, in your opinion which is the most smarting beam between them, please?
Thank you

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitestar's lumen rating is inflated. SF's lumen ratings are more accurate.
Lumens and reflectors being equal, an incandescent is going to punch harder and farther than an LED. And pertaining to your other thread, I would take a good incandescent to the African jungle and an LED light as backup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to what leukos said, the 5W lumen measuring is probably talking about overall lumens, not throw. 5W luxeons arent really used for throw unless you use certain reflectors. Mostly, they are used for general flood lighting. If you want throw, I only suggest you get the incan. And ditto on an LED for a backup from what leukos said.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like leukos and Mags pretty much have it covered. I would go with a Surefire M2 for throw and a LED for backup. Some of the newer LEDs, such as Surefire's latest KL1 can throw pretty well, but not as well as incans.

Along the lines of lumens, you also have to consider size of the hotspot. More lumens does not always = more throw. When you go from a P61 to a P91 you might get a tad more throw, but the size of the hotspot is just much bigger.

-Mike