most powerful thrower - compact - factory

boo

Newly Enlightened
Any limit and amount you want to part with, basically what is your budget, how much are you willing to spend:)

At this point, I would feel comfortable with $150-$250.
I prefer to wait on more expensive lights until I learn more and can make good choices.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at Vinh's modified lights?

There seems (coming/going) to always be a group buy price for a Nitecore TM16GT. You can group buy a TM16GT and when you have the extra money, send it in for modification. I have a TM16GT and being light greedy, that's what I'll do. For a factory made light, have you consider a Nitecore MH40GT?

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that lumens did not matter if the light came with a long deep reflector.
Have been told that candela s are important with a throwing light. Not sure about that either.
I have discovered I don`t know a lot.:faint:

"I have discovered I don`t know a lot."
-The smartest people that I know are the ones who rapidly come to that conclusion when they reach a new frontier.
It takes me a little longer sometimes, but we all get there if we try.

I was going to recommend the limited edition Armytek Barracuda, but you haven't said anything about caring about ergonomics, weight/run times or low level efficiency, just throw. Realistically it's the light I want but not what you're looking for.
There is a really cool video in German that reviews 10 compact, super throwers, that's the video you need to see.
Where is it?

Last edited:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Look up onestopthrowshop if you want something to drool over.
Good luck getting one though. :ohgeez:

Cd stands for candela, it is a measurement of intensity in the brightest part of the beam. A flood light will have much less intensity than a focused light putting out the same power.

Think of an average green laser pointer, it is only emitting a few dozen lumens but it throws light for miles, that is because the light is all landing on or near the same spot making it much brighter than surrounding ambient light.

Lumens is a measurement of total light emitted, it doesn't matter where the light goes as long as it gets out of the window (or in the case of some overspec'ed lights the amount of light that should be made by the LED).

Typically if a light has high lumens and low Cd it has a very wide and even beam that is more useful for lighting up large areas nearby.

Vice versa would be higher Cd for the same or lower lumens, this would light up a smaller portion of your field of view, but the lit up area would be brighter at any given distance than a lower Cd (intensity) light.

for pure throw ignore lumens and just look at Cd, if two lights have the same Cd but one has more lumens then the one with more lumens either has a larger hotspot or more of the light is getting into the side spill.

MX421

Enlightened
I have a Armytek Barracuda and thats my favorite thrower. Someone else mentioned the Olight M3X which i don't have, but is a great thrower as well. I also have a Fenix TK75 (2015), and it also throws very well, but is definitely bulkier. I think it compares to the TM16, but it has the capability to add extensions for additional runtime.

I think Selfbuilt had a thrower comparison thread in the review section back when i was researching.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I have to go with a larger/longer light to get the performance I want, I will.
Not sure if I fully understand your question, "any limit or amount you want to part with".
Are you referring to cost of the light?.

Throw mostly comes from having a large reflector. This will focus the light in to a tight beam for maximum distance.

This means most throwers are not pocket friendly. Do you have any idea on the physical size of light you are after?

There are other things that will affect throw too. LED size in relation to reflector size. This means in most cases an equally driven XP-G2 light will out throw an XM-L2 or XP-L light in the same reflector. The trade off is a smaller hot spot and less bright spill beam, i.e. lower lumen output.

For a modest price you can get an XP-G2 C8. These are small enough to fit in a coat pocket and throw really well. Feel free to PM me if you want to know where to get them from.

Another option is a torch using the new XP-L HI LED. These are essentially de-domed LED's from the factory. De-doming an LED will massively increase it's throw, but retain the high lumen output.

If you are wanting to keep something pocket friendly, then the new X6 SE, with a good 18650 these produce up to 1400 lumens and throw incredibly well for their compact size. I can PM you a direct link for these, or use Google to find a company called banggood and then search for X6.

Multi cell lights will be bigger and as a rule the extra batteries are there for longer runtimes and longer ability to produce max lumens. Most LEDs for throw have a forward voltage of 3.x volts. A single Li-ion can power these easily, but as the voltage drops, so does the output. Multiple batteries simply mean you can run at the high output for longer, before the voltage drops too low.

For dedicated throwers, the Olight M3XS-UT Javelot is very good. You can run it on 2x18500 to make it more compact and it throws about as good as anything else you can reasonably buy and still call portable and somewhat able to be put in a pocket. But it's a lot larger than most single 18650 lights.

Something you may want to bear in mind, throwers generally only light up a small area compared to a flooder. So lighting stuff up further away than your Meteor can manage won't be a problem, but the small beam may not look as impressive unless you are using it at distance.

boo

Newly Enlightened
Which of these two throwers would you choose and why?

Nitecore TM16GT $250. avg.

Acebeam K70 $200. avg.

ps: What does it mean when people say they would like to get
around Acebeams "Map"?.

Last edited:

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Have you looked at the Acebeam t-25?. I like this one,and has a long throw to. I see Vin mods this one to,which should be awesome.

boo

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the Acebeam t-25?. I like this one,and has a long throw to. I see Vin mods this one to,which should be awesome.

No I haven`t. Will check it out.
Trying to learn as much as I can, as fast as I can.

boo

Newly Enlightened

I checked it out. Does not have the throw "cd", i`m looking for.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which of these two throwers would you choose and why?

Nitecore TM16GT $250. avg.

Acebeam K70 $200. avg.

The K70 because it's newly released and I have a TM16GT.

ps: What does it mean when people say they would like to get
around Acebeams "Map"?.

Manufacture's Advertised Price. Check with the group buy forum.

boo

Newly Enlightened
I wonder why the Acebeam K70 is only being sold on e-bay and nowhere else?.

boo

Newly Enlightened
You can find it on Amazon for $189.00.

Thanks.
Can you recommend a good choice in batteries for this light?. (Acebeam K70)
Button top, protected, flat top unprotected high drain, 18650 s ?.

Cannot find a good phone number for Acebeam USA so I can ask
about batteries for the K70.
On one of their websites, they have a screwy number at the top.
It shows a phone symbol, then numbers that are not normal.

WEllll, thanks anyway.

Last edited: