Movies better than the book

ledbetter

Enlightened
This is going to be pretty short list because the opposite is the norm, but here it goes:

The Godfather
Being There
Jurassic Park
Day of the Jackel
King Rat

Close, but no cigar:

Slaughterhouse Five
Hombre
Valdez is Coming
One Flew Over the ****oo's Nest(why is this with asterisks??)
Crash(book by Ballard)

These movies all have really great actors who brought the characters to life.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
The TV adaptation of Alex Rider was really phenomenal. Better than the book? Possibly. They changed it up enough to keep fans on their toes but still kept it faithful. The actors totally nailed it.

It's free on IMDB TV, totally worth your time.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it may seem weird but i cant read books or long storys .which sucks i want to read the stand

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the mention of Alex Rider, and since a TV series was mentioned, I'll add the Bosch TV series. Welliver and cast make the series much more interesting than the books. Not a Connelly fan.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two goats are grazing in the Hollywood hills. They find a tin can. One goat nudges the can open. Inside is a film. He eats the film. The other goat says "Was that good?" The first goat says "It was ok, but I liked the book better."

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When somebody makes a movie about servicing a Colt 1911, a 1997 Honda Prelude, a Road & Bridge spec book or the Bible I'll compare those to the book.

Now in my view the movie "A River Runs Through It" was way better than the book. I did not finish reading "USFS 1919: Ranger, Cook and Hole in the Sky" novel yet.

3_gun

Enlightened
Never happened to me .. so far. Little over lap in what I've read and what I watch. Kinda have a been there seen/read that outlook

Poppy

Flashaholic
hmmm, I think I liked the book better than the movie when it came to Jurassic Park. I remember being disappointed in that they deviated so much from the book in making the film.

IF TV series count, The Last Kingdom would be a 36 hour movie. It is historical fiction based on Bernard Cornwell's "The Viking Sagas". I am currently reading the 13th book in the series "War Lord".

There are so many characters with names that are somewhat similar that it is particularly challenging to be able to keep track of who is who. The TV series has the same problem for me, being that they also somewhat look the same. Dirty, long hair, dressed in leather etc. I found binge watching "The Last Kingdom" made it much easier to keep track of who was who, and the various locations they were in.

"The Walking Dead" TV series, is much better than the comic book series it is derived from. It would be about 147 hour movie! Honestly I only read a dozen or so of the comic books, so I can't get into an in depth discussion of the topic. :popcorn:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF TV series count, The Last Kingdom would be a 36 hour movie. It is historical fiction based on Bernard Cornwell's "The Viking Sagas". I am currently reading the 13th book in the series "War Lord".

There are so many characters with names that are somewhat similar that it is particularly challenging to be able to keep track of who is who. The TV series has the same problem for me, being that they also somewhat look the same. Dirty, long hair, dressed in leather etc. I found binge watching "The Last Kingdom" made it much easier to keep track of who was who, and the various locations they were in.
Wait..what? I don't watch TV, but read everything Dean Koontz and Bernard Cornwell put out(except Cornwell's Sharpe series) . Now I gotta find out what TV Uhtred looks like!

I read very fast, and books play like movies in my head as I read them, so it will be interesting to see the whole cast, for that matter.

btw, The Walking Dead being about zombies was a big surprise to me when it first came out. My dad was one of the original "Walking Dead"(1/9 Marines were the most heavily engaged Marine Corps unit in Vietnam, with the highest casualty rate of any in history), and I thought it was going to be a Band of Brothers kind of thing :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Regarding The Last Kingdom, they are in production of the 5th and final season.

Your Dad must be a few years older than me. When I was eligible, the draft was lottery, and I missed it by about 70 numbers. I'm glad I missed it. I don't know if I would like the man that I would have changed into.

Please Thank your Dad for his service. He went when others were fleeing to Canada.