Movies you watch again and again?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished rewatching my DVD of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. All star cast, classic murder mystery, fantastic costumes, incredible train footage, just a total class act. I cancelled my cable some time back, and I'm missing my Turner Classic Movies, especially the film noir.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've watched Evan Almighty a couple of times recently. It's a nice family oriented comedy and what's interesting to me is that it's such an effects-heavy film. They used green/blue screen, CGI, animatronics, miniature models and puppets to pull off al of the illusions. They also had real animals on the set. It's a master class in special effects.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Black hawk down.. just watch that again after watching Covenant.
Great movie. I read the book and then watched the film.
One thing that stood out to me was that they had GPS units but for the most part left them at the barracks, because they were too cumbersome, and this was supposed to be a quick in and out. At one point two teams were in the same building, separated by a wall and didn't know it.

Now, we all have GPS in our phones. And for the most part we don't leave home without them.

swampgator

Enlightened
One thing that stood out to me was that they had GPS units but for the most part left them at the barracks, because they were too cumbersome, and this was supposed to be a quick in and out. At one point two teams were in the same building, separated by a wall and didn't know it.
You have to look at the whole picture of that raid.

Daylight. Quick snatch and grab. Urban environment.

GPS units back in the early 90s were big cumbersome units. Think the size of an old bag phone but around 10 lbs.

The operators wouldn't need GPS for that op.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Just finished rewatching my DVD of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. All star cast, classic murder mystery, fantastic costumes, incredible train footage, just a total class act. I cancelled my cable some time back, and I'm missing my Turner Classic Movies, especially the film noir.

Yeah, too bad TCM requires cable.

Film Noir is a great genre. Some of the films in the category can be downright strange, but most have this tension and tone that other films generally don't touch. Plus, some of the best directors of "the golden age of film" were darned good at directing such films. Lots of good-to-great ones, out there.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Crash", staged in L.A., not to be confused with anything of similar title ("Crashing" etc.)

It's a complex interwoven plot with people from all parts of society. Cast includes Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, Brendan Fraser, Sandra Bullock, Thandie Newton, Terrence Howard, Marina Sirtis and others.

Dave

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black hawk down.. just watch that again after watching Covenant.
Years ago I spoke with SSG Matt Eversmann (played by Josh Hartnett) at a work conference and he autographed my BHD DVD. Great guy.

Img_1187.jpg

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see the film but read part of the book. It kept getting worse and worse. Novalogic made a video game about it and I played that on Windows Vista if that gives you and idea how long ago.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember how the producers had to throw in some movie magic.
In reality, McQueen's character's Ford Mustang would never have been able to keep up with the Dodge Charger that the bad guys were

The Charger has a higher power to weight ratio than the 390 GT Mustang but is longer & heavier overall and thus less nimble on tight and twisty roads (like most of those in the movie), the 0 - 60 MPH times favour the Challenger by 1 second which places the cars closer than one might initially think when you add the mass of an additional passenger.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The car chase in Bullitt is the one all are judged against.
Ronin has a good car chase