Moving to new server and upgrading software

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Over the coming days, I will be moving CPF and the Underground forums to a new server. Unfortunately, this means I have to upgrade the forums' software also. :ironic:

At the moment, I am working on the Underground so it is closed. Once I get the bugs worked out with that, I will tackle CPF. I will let you know when I plan to close it.

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick update -

I managed to get the Underground fully upgraded and restored on a test site. It works. But there is going to be A LOT that will need to be done after CPF upgrades. I'll be honest - the main reason I hadn't upgraded to the latest version(s) of vBulletin is because I don't like it. I don't like how it looks and I don't like how it functions. There are a few things the same but many different.

So once I run a few more tests on the Underground, I'll make it official and go live on the regular site. Hopefully, I can get that done tonight. Then start in on CPF.

I'll keep you all posted.

bykfixer

Supporter
Don't like what? The way it looks? Handles? I totally get the whole hate to upgrade thing as often times the upgrade acts like a down grade in some ways. (Fingers crossed new v-bulletin, new chrome and iOS 14.x.x.x all play nice together.)

Anyway, thanks for the heads up(s), as it gives us time to prepare like getting email addys from folks we are/were exchanging PM's with etc.

Last edited:

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Don't like what? The way it looks? Handles? I totally get the whole hate to upgrade thing as often times the upgrade acts like a down grade in some ways. (Fingers crossed new v-bulletin, new chrome and iOS 14.x.x.x all play nice together.)

Anyway, thanks for the heads up(s), as it gives us time to prepare like getting email addys from folks we are/were exchanging PM's with etc.

Looks and handles, as I said above. There is going to be A LOT you all are going to have to adjust to. I've been playing around with the upgraded Underground forums and it's just A LOT to get used to. One thing of note is verbiage - we won't have "forums" anymore. We'll have "channels". WTF is a "channel"?!?! :duh2: - It's a "forum", ffs :eek:hgeez:

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Well... you can go check it out now, if you want. I'm working on things and it will be changing here and there as I do. But at least I don't have to shut it down while I'm messing with it.

The NEW CPFUnderground.

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Seems sleek and streamlined. EDIT: It just changed lol. Went from white to dark, I love dark. White again, I'll wait. :p
Yeah - editing is really weird with this version. It's kind of easier but takes getting used to. I like the dark also. I might go with that in the end.