MTE C2 (rebel) 70602 5 mode - review

aceo07

Enlightened
I received the MTE C2 70602 today. It is the rebel(?) led version that uses AA battery. (It is not my flashlight, but one that I ordered at the request of a friend. This means I will not be doing anything that changes the flashlight and will only be using it for short periods of time.)

It's diameter is about 20mm and length is 94mm. It's about the same size as the Fenix L1T, but a few mm longer. The body construction looks very good on the outside. No scratches or blemishes or poor coloring. The lettering the text is good. It has a smooth reflector. The led looks to be centered. Upon unscrewing it, it looks like it was greased and there are 2 slots for o-rings. It comes with only 1 o-ring.

It has a textured button, that is wider than on the Fenix. It is takes more pressure to click. It is a reverse clickie. Click to turn on, click to turn off. Once it is on, you can press lighter on the button to change modes. I don't know how it is accomplished, but it does not need to click to change modes. The tail is screwed in tight and there is no extra give. This definitely makes changing modes easier since clicking does take some effort.

There are 5 modes: rapid strobe (blinking), SOS, high, normal and low. The list is in the order that I see it operating in the most times I turn it on. The power/button connect seems to be poor. Sometimes the light will not turn on at full power, and not even as bright as the low mode. It may take a tap or twist/untwist to get it onto full power. Tilting the flashlight while on may also turn it off. This might be fixed by cleaning the threads or extending the spring so it provide a tighter connection. This is not something I will do on this flashlight.

The rapid strobe can be annoying if flashed in your eyes. It seems to be at high brightness. The high mode is probably 30-40 lumens. It is about as bright as my HDS U60 moded with seoul at level 4. Normal is probably around 20 lumens and low is 8 lumens or something. This is of course all guessimates with no real measurements.

The tint is light purplish. There is a hotspot, similar to the Fenix L1T, and the beam seems decent to me. There is a donut from 2 inches away from wall, but it doesn't matter. Nothing else to mention about it or anything that I notice as being negative.

If the connection issues were fixed, this could definitely be great competition for Fenix. The price is 1/3 of Fenix's models.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll have the light for a couple more days. I cannot perform runtimes since I do not have equipment and I will not make physical adjustments to this light.

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I have the single mode MTE rebel but unfortunately is was a dud. Going back to DX for a replacement.

aceo07

Enlightened
I noticed that the Fenix actually doesn't have battery rattle, which the MTE does. I assume this may be why it has connection issues. When I shake it, it will flicker and change modes.