Multi-stage 1AA Review - Part III: Runtimes, beamshots & more!

Cemoi

Enlightened
Many thanks and congratulations to selfbuilt.

Do you make similar comparison reviews for 1AAA lights?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just to update, the JET I PRO is on its way to me, but tracking info shows it hasn't landed in Canada yet. Looks like early to mid next week is as soon as I could have it in my hands to start testing. I'll keep you posted.

Do you make similar comparison reviews for 1AAA lights?
Not as such - the last AAA light I bought was the Jet-µ, and I did a comparison of it to the Fenix L0D at the time:
Jetbeam Jet-µ and Fenix L0D-CE 1AAA shootout: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and TEMPERATURES

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt,

Have you finished testing the NDI in the lowest output on a 14500 yet? I received my new nipple top 14500 from AW today and it is a perfect fit in this light. It gives more output than using an L91 on tactical mode, and surprisingly is nearly the same on the lowest level.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Have you finished testing the NDI in the lowest output on a 14500 yet? I received my new nipple top 14500 from AW today and it is a perfect fit in this light. It gives more output than using an L91 on tactical mode, and surprisingly is nearly the same on the lowest level.
Unfortunately I had to stop my initial run to test some other lights that arrived, but you can see the first part of it in my low mode 14500 graph.

As you've noticed (and you can see by comparing my graphs), the initial output of the NDI on low on 14500 is virtually the same as on alkaline on low (and L91 and NiMH) ... roughly ~2 on my output scale.

This is quite impressive, as most lights loose their lowest low modes on 14500 (e.g. Rexlight is about twice as bright at its lowest setting compared to standard batteries - if you compare my graphs again).

I've been meaning to get back to finishing that NDI 14500 low runtime test (but I've been EDCing ever since initial testing was completed). But it is time to get it back into the lightbox .... I'lll keep you posted. :whistle:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I see. The testing never stops does it. :laughing:
I got the same results with my lightbox. My numbers are different, but on a Lithium L91 it scored an 11, and with a 14500 it scored a 13. That is less than half a lumen difference between the two. I LOVE this light now that I'm using the 14500 cell. So much better than a L91 when you figure more output,longer runtime, and free lumens!!!
Don't worry about getting it done right away for me. Finish whatever else and get to it when you have time.
I also wanted to let you know that your work is really appreciated, and with this multi light review you upped the bar for runtime graphs for multiple lights. Keep it up! :)

Unfortunately I had to stop my initial run to test some other lights that arrived, but you can see the first part of it in my low mode 14500 graph.

As you've noticed (and you can see by comparing my graphs), the initial output of the NDI on low on 14500 is virtually the same as on alkaline on low (and L91 and NiMH) ... roughly ~2 on my output scale.

This is quite impressive, as most lights loose their lowest low modes on 14500 (e.g. Rexlight is about twice as bright at its lowest setting compared to standard batteries - if you compare my graphs again).

I've been meaning to get back to finishing that NDI 14500 low runtime test (but I've been EDCing ever since initial testing was completed). But it is time to get it back into the lightbox .... I'lll keep you posted. :whistle:

Cemoi

Enlightened
Fenix L1D (Q5 and R100)
(...)
Although the R100 is hard to find, the lights retail new ~$55.
Fenix-store only carries the Q5 version and told me that it is currently the only version shipped by Fenix. Anybody knows where I could find a R100, preferably from a store that offers free worldwide shipping since I am in Europe?
Thanks in advance.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I just broke down a placed an order for the Zebralight Q5. Been eyeing this one for awhile, and figured its time to add it to the collection. :grin2:

Likely to be several weeks before it comes in, but I'll add it to this review once it does.
:wave:

BobbyRS

Enlightened
I just broke down a placed an order for the Zebralight Q5. Been eyeing this one for awhile, and figured its time to add it to the collection. :grin2:

Likely to be several weeks before it comes in, but I'll add it to this review once it does.
:wave:

Great I've been thinking about buying this light too. Looking forward to it.:D

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Amazing work - I keep comin back to this thread, lol. Will be interesting to see your take on the Zebra, though obviously a different sort of light.
Thanks selfbuilt !

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
How is it that "low" and "medium" modes on the Zebralight have the same output for the same amount of runtime?
It doesn't. As you'll see in the figure legend, only the Med mode of the Zebralight is shown on the Lo runtime graph (since the Zebralight Med is close to many lights low modes).

Zebralight Lo mode is still pending (likely it will be >3 days), and will have to wait until I'm back from my trip at the end of the month. I'll add with it with the Med results on the Lo graph when its done.

For the time being, I've added a note to the review to point out that the low mode runtime is still pending.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just added low mode runtimes on alkaline for Zebralight.

As advertised, the light ran for 3.5 days at a very respectable output level. Unfortunately my datalogger cut out at that point, so I don't know when the run really ended (by 4 days the light was completely dead). :sssh:

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Excellent job,releaves alot of choices for me and narrows it down to an asorted few:thumbsup:.

Patriot

Flashaholic
One of the best AA light reviews ever! This answers all of me 14500 light questions.

Thanks Selfbuilt. :goodjob:

Yapo

Enlightened
Hey Selfbuilt, I was just wondering if you could do a quick rough test on how the ouputs of a few of your single AA lights hold out at the lower voltages of nimh batteries...If possible (and if safe) on a battery at 1.0V or less.

Because i find that on my Jet-I IBS rated for (0.7-4.2V) that 100% becomes noticeably dimmer by 1.3V and by 1.2V all modes on my light are about as low as the minimum 5% low and by 1.1V even the 5% low instantly dims down when you turn on the light.

I just wanted to find out if its just "my" light/battery's problem or if its to do with Jetbeam's efficiency problem or if this is how it is for the current single AA light technology.

Thx.