Mum needs a light, this has been an effort.

Wil

Newly Enlightened
The back story: Mum has a whole bunch of cheap, crappy A, C and D incandescent flashlights around the place. It's a joke and I needed to do something about it.
I rounded them all up and binned them but put one of mine on the table at the front door, just in case.
I went home and started looking for the perfect light for her, I found it. The Sunwayman V20A R5. I bought and paid for it, settle back to wait. I got sent the T6 :( It loses LM's when running AA's so it got sent back and I'm still looking.
Now, I can't fully explain how much she struggles with anything even remotely technological. The Tivo, Android tablet, Windows phone, even her iPod Touch is hard for her at times and that's an Apple product... I have to stick with AA's.

I liked the V20A because it had a forward clicky, variable ring, close to 200lm and uses AA batteries, it was just simple. Things this light has to have.
Does anyone know of something else that would be suitable?

This is a light that will be used for everything from looking in cupboards under the sink to down her 50m long backyard. Hence the variable ring.

Here is the list in case:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries - AA's only. Mum can't handle anything else.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
* I'd like to cover all three of these if I can.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges
* The longer the better.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
* This will be her "go to" light.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
* I have to keep this REALLY simple. And her being able to quick-flash someone with a bright light if she needs to makes me feel better.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want a selector ring.
*She has trouble using an iPod Touch, this ring is pretty much not optional as she will struggle with a mode button :(

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
* Any of these are fine.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix E21, Jetbeam BA20, and Klarus P2A could work. All are 2 AA lights with 2 modes. High mode = tight bezel, low mode = loose bezel. The Sunwayman V20A could work because of the selection ring, but when I let some of my friends and colleagues use my V11R, they sometimes had trouble finding and twisting the output selection ring (they end up unscrewing the light).

Wil

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix E21, Jetbeam BA20, and Klarus P2A could work. All are 2 AA lights with 2 modes. High mode = tight bezel, low mode = loose bezel. The Sunwayman V20A could work because of the selection ring, but when I let some of my friends and colleagues use my V11R, they sometimes had trouble finding and twisting the output selection ring (they end up unscrewing the light).
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately all the ones you mentioned, while having a tail switch, are twisties. No variable ring, no dice :(
As for undoing the head, my Mum isn't that bad. She likes the variable ring on my V20C a lot but just wants AA's.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
So, does she prefer a widely variable output? If so, there aren't too many choices. Nitecore has their Infilux, but it cost much more then the V20A. Niteye has their Eye12 and MSA20 that could work; the MSA20 has the variable ring at the tail but I'm not sure how the UI works.

Wil

Newly Enlightened
So, does she prefer a widely variable output? If so, there aren't too many choices. Nitecore has their Infilux, but it cost much more then the V20A. Niteye has their Eye12 and MSA20 that could work; the MSA20 has the variable ring at the tail but I'm not sure how the UI works.
Yeah, she'll be using it as a primary light so it will need to have a broad variable output.

NiteCore Infilux IFD2 - Perfect. It covers everything she'll need and IPX-8 which I forgot to mention. (It's my Mum, price< safety/reliability/usability/simplicity)
Niteye EYE12 - As above, perfect as well.
Niteye MSA20 - Really cool but that UI might be a bit confusing for her.

I'll check out the tints, throw/flood and compare run times.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate that!

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Have you looked at the quark 2 x AA tactical ? You program it to give her the two light levels she wants, she twists the head one way for Hi, the other way for Lo. It's like a binary control ring (just don't tell her how to re-program it so she doesn't confuse herself).

Wil

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the quark 2 x AA tactical ? You program it to give her the two light levels she wants, she twists the head one way for Hi, the other way for Lo. It's like a binary control ring (just don't tell her how to re-program it so she doesn't confuse herself).
I know it has a tail switch but it's still a twisty. No infinity variable output is not an option.
Two modes is kind of stepping backwards with this one too but thanks anyway.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think you picked the right light for her and the only change I would have made would have been to go with the V10A, which will operate on any single AA she can find. It's the light I got my mom and she loves how easy it is to use, and the compactness as well.

Wil

Newly Enlightened
I think you picked the right light for her and the only change I would have made would have been to go with the V10A, which will operate on any single AA she can find. It's the light I got my mom and she loves how easy it is to use, and the compactness as well.
Oh I definitely did but the problem is I can't find the R5 anywhere, just the T6 that's only 160lm where the R5 is 210lm. The V10A isn't an option unfortunately as it's only 140lm.
Compactness is actually an issue here, the 2xAA size is perfect for her use habits and intended uses. A 52 year old woman with mild arthritis can manage the variable output ring so long as it's long enough to hold with the other hand.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Oh I definitely did but the problem is I can't find the R5 anywhere, just the T6 that's only 160lm where the R5 is 210lm. The V10A isn't an option unfortunately as it's only 140lm.
Compactness is actually an issue here, the AA size is perfect for her use habits and intended uses. A 52 year old woman with mild arthritis can manage the variable output ring so long as it's long enough to hold with the other hand.
If the compact size is good for her, as it was for my mom, then that's the light to go for.
Unless she's got a ranch to look after, I'd lay money on it that, just like my mom and her simple 140 lumen V10A, it'll be perfect. You'll have a hard time using 210 lumens around the house one night, then 140 the next and noticing a practical deficiency. Don't get hung up on the numbers - one of my most practical lights is my Nichia 119 Haiku, putting out about 90 lumens, and believe me, I have any number of other lights with much higher outputs.

In the end, it's not the numbers that count, but how the whole package works together.

Wil

Newly Enlightened
If the compact size is good for her, as it was for my mom, then that's the light to go for.
Unless she's got a ranch to look after, I'd lay money on it that, just like my mom and her simple 140 lumen V10A, it'll be perfect. You'll have a hard time using 210 lumens around the house one night, then 140 the next and noticing a practical deficiency. Don't get hung up on the numbers - one of my most practical lights is my Nichia 119 Haiku, putting out about 90 lumens, and believe me, I have any number of other lights with much higher outputs.

In the end, it's not the numbers that count, but how the whole package works together.
Lol, the V10A is too short for her. She needs something longer. While I agree with you on the 210lm being more than enough for the house, the yard is huge and I want it to be bright in case something happens out the front. She will be taking it when she goes away too. ~200lm is something I'll be sticking too. I have a number of lights to compare against, that's going to be the most useful for her.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Lol, the V10A is too short for her. She needs something longer. While I agree with you on the 210lm being more than enough for the house, the yard is huge and I want it to be bright in case something happens out the front. She will be taking it when she goes away too. ~200lm is something I'll be sticking too. I have a number of lights to compare against, that's going to be the most useful for her.
Oops, misread your meaning about the size - so it still sounds like the V20A should be ideal then. I know my mom likes her V10A.

Wil

Newly Enlightened
Oops, misread your meaning about the size - so it still sounds like the V20A should be ideal then. I know my mom likes her V10A.
That was my fault, I wasn't very clear with meaning longer is better.

I wan't the V20A R5 but can only seem to find the T6 :(
After looking at the beam profile, I've decided on the
Nitecore Infilux IFD2. It's only ~$20 than the V20A so I'm pretty happy. The Niteye EYE12 just seemed too floody for the backyard.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
How's the tint on the Infilux? I can't remember the model I had anymore, but would have liked a more neutral beam, although I'd have to say the same for my mom's V10A as well.

Maybe I need to get another Infilux too... :thinking:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If she can work with C cells, Home Depot sells the very basic all-aluminum Defiant 3C, batteries included, which just happens to feature the Cree XM-L pushing 550 lumens - if you've got a yard you want to light, all of it, this will do it. It's sized like the usual slender 3C light, so while it won't fit in her purse, it will be of a familiar "house light" size; it has a plain rubber on-off side switch (no modes/twist) and includes a lanyard cord, $20.

ibd11PtmnTWdmr.jpg

Wil

Newly Enlightened
How's the tint on the Infilux? I can't remember the model I had anymore, but would have liked a more neutral beam, although I'd have to say the same for my mom's V10A as well.

Maybe I need to get another Infilux too... :thinking:
It looks the same as V20C, I'll need to do a comparison again so not sure what you'd call it but I like it a lot. Colours look natural and everything is lit very well. This will give you an idea ;)

If she can work with C cells, Home Depot sells the very basic all-aluminum Defiant 3C, batteries included, which just happens to feature the Cree XM-L pushing 550 lumens - if you've got a yard you want to light, all of it, this will do it. It's sized like the usual slender 3C light, so while it won't fit in her purse, it will be of a familiar "house light" size; it has a plain rubber on-off side switch (no modes/twist) and includes a lanyard cord, $20.

ibd11PtmnTWdmr.jpg
Given she wants AA's, that won't work. That's too big for her, it'll most likely be awkward and heavy but wouldn't fit in the cupboards I mentioned anyway. That and the rechargeable batteries thing... More effort than it's worth. No variable output will blind her if she's looking around in the car, not even modes... She wouldn't take that if she goes away. There are so many more things but I think I made the point, lol.

hb-light

Newly Enlightened
I suggest a zebralight h600w...as my name implies.. i love zebralight lol...I personally have a zebralight sc600 and sc50+... I use these lights for everything...i've stopped using lights around the house all together...it's in this pepper spray like format

it has front tail cap... has a low, med, and high modes that can easily be assessable from off.. each mode has a sub mode (i.e. low 1 and low 2)... it has strobe too... they all have the same simple ui...

...it comes with a head band to wear as a head lamp (but i don't think your mom would be using this), but you can get a clip with it... the clip is usually suited for a smaller version of zebralight called the H31.. it clips firmly on the light... so she can clip it on her clothes for hands free activity...

around 89bux + the clip... I strongly feel this is a good light... if you want a indepth explaination of the ui...just search on youtube....

HOWEVER.. it's very small about 4.0inches... it needs a single 18650 battery..., but despite what you said in the description...18650s are very easy to handle... I highly suggest getting a intellicharger i4 charger (look it up for reviews).. a very easy and capable universal charger to handle.. basically just put it in and watch the lights... also that it may be too small... if she clipped it to her clothing or something she wouldn't have an issue dropping it... I feel these issues are easily dealt with by using the clip and the charger that i mentioned...

durability wise... I have no idea about the H600... I've had the zebralight sc50+ for about a year and a half now plus a few spills on hard flooring and it still works great... I've only had the sc600 for a couple of weeks now... and it had a 12 foot tumble from the top of the staircase directly hitting the floor... a few scratches on the bezel and body... i wasn't feeling good about it... but picked it up and works perfect...

in terms of the tint... it's supposed to resemble a warm incandescent emmission eventhough it's an led (xml)... i think it's supposed to be better for your eyes at night... not sure on that one though... but if you're that concerned with night vision you can always reduce the output from high to medium etc...

I have an eye deficiency relating to night blindness.. so i can't comment on how normal people would see... but the sc600 (with a cool white) for ME is good for about 20 yards...the H600 has a lower lumen output (due to its incandescent colour) but that shouldn't make that much of a difference... but a person with standard vision i'm guessing would be able to see twice the distance i see...maybe more...

Judging from the sc600 that i already have i'm going be getting the h600 for xmas myself.... here's the rest of the specifications if you need em....

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Wil

Newly Enlightened
Make sure and let us know how the chosen light works out as a 'Mom light'. Thanks for the video link too.
I will do, not sure when but within 4 or 5 weeks I hope. The Nitecore Infilux IFD2 should be good I think.
Lol, Marshall does great reviews.

I suggest a zebralight h600w...as my name implies.. i love zebralight lol...I personally have a zebralight sc600 and sc50+... I use these lights for everything...i've stopped using lights around the house all together...it's in this pepper spray like format

-ZIP-

hope this helps...
Lol, kinda the light I'm trying to steer away from but I love your enthusiasm. Thanks anyway.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my 80year old grandma a Surefire E2L AA. Put a keychain ring at the clip, made her a lanyard. Simple UI, click once low mode and another for high. Good throw with sufficient spill. Runs forever on Lithium AA. Large enough so she does not loose it and easy to reach.

Get a Z68 tailcap and the light will tail stand for ceiling bounce.

Last edited: