Music and Musician Discussion Thread

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more of them. Probably won't ever be another band like this one. They were put in the same country rock easy listening category as the eagles and firefall, but they were raggae, country, Appalachian, southern rock and pop.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now after all I posted you would think the OMD would be my favorite musicians. Not so.....they are amongst my favorite ones. I consider talent, type of songs and personality all in the mix. Ol Joe Walsh is a trip. That dude is animated and you can tell he's having a good time. He reminds my of snoopy the dog on these peanut cartoons when all the characters are playing music including snoopy.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
A few years back Joe released a new cd that came with a "Joe Walsh for president" t-shirt.
I was surprised at how many of my old school coworkers did not recognize his name.

I said "Joe Walsh"……"Rocky Mountain Way?"……nope, "Life's been good to me so far?"……nope "Hotel California?" ……"oh that guy, I thought you meant the guy with the tv show with the missing kid" (John Walsh)...

Best entertainer since Bobby Darin in my view.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, he's got talent and a lot of good songs out there. Some people from my generation on facebook said (who?) when I mentioned him. All I had to do was say- you know, ol Joe....the one that does rocky mountain way.

When Joe was interviewed one time they asked him how he came up with that song. He said he already had the music, but no lyrics. He had moved from Florida to Colorado after leaving the james gang and he was cutting grass on his property that had a view of the rocky mountains.
Suddenly the words came to him and he let go of the self propelled mower to run in the house to write them down before he forgot them.

In the meantime his mower had gone onto his neighbor's property and cut into a flower garden. He said those were some expensive flowers.

The lyrics are about how he is better off in Colorado with his new band "barnstorm" then down in Florida with the james gang.
It wasn't his bandmates- it was their manager of whom Joe wrote "he tells us this and he tells us that- changes it everyday. Says it doesn't matter".

I think the reason why people don't know or remember him is that although he had some dynamic songs out there he didn't have enough radio presence out there in the " top 40" with the exception of being in the "eagles" which was a group effort- that was in the 70s. In the early 80s he did "I can play that rock in roll" with a video of him destroying a hotel room just trying to kill a single fly. He also played that song on SCTV's fishin musician with John Candy. He did hit top 40 with space age whiz kids, but I didn't like that.
That was his last good album called "you bought it- you name it". He also did "in the city" in 79 on the eagle's " the long run" album. After that he was strung out on alcohol and drugs and didn't put out anything else dynamic till 2012 with his "analog man" album which in my opinion is the highest quality album he's ever done. It has more good songs on it than any of his previous albums, but they don't quite touch his older dynamic songs, but they are quite good for a 71 year old man. I don't think it got any good airplay though, but it won't disappoint his fans I guarantee.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the OMD stuff I put up there became unavailable, so I found some more and posted it. Here is their if you want to get to heaven remake/remix. I didn't like it at first, but after listening to it and the original- I like them both. I don't agree with the message, but if if the lyrics were tweaked a little it would be alright.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Above from the left is John Dillon, Supe, Buddy Brayfield, Randle Chowning (sings if you wanna get to heaven), Steve Cash (sings black sky and does the main harp playing)(rip), and Larry Lee (sings jacky blue).

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bykfixer, I reviewed Joe's "the confessor" album. It's ok, but not up to par with his 70s stuff or his latest album. The songs on the confessor album would be considered fillers on his 70s albums.

No offense, it's just that I expect more out of what he puts out after hearing some of his earlier stuff with the jame gang, barnstorm and his past solo albums. He used to put on a good show at his concerts until the mid 80s and later. It was like he didn't care anymore and was just running off of his name which in the past meant you were going to rock. When he got clean and sober he got good again and he's putting on better shows in his 70's than he did in the mid to late 1980s when he was younger, but intoxicated and high.
He also contributed to some of the eagle's songs. He just mindlessly starting playing the opening riff to life in the fast lane and they built a song around it.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years back Joe released a new cd that came with a "Joe Walsh for president" t-shirt.
I was surprised at how many of my old school coworkers did not recognize his name.

I said "Joe Walsh"……"Rocky Mountain Way?"……nope, "Life's been good to me so far?"……nope "Hotel California?" ……"oh that guy, I thought you meant the guy with the tv show with the missing kid" (John Walsh)...

Best entertainer since Bobby Darin in my view.
Yeah, he was joking around, but I think he really ran for president. His motto was free gas for everyone from what I remember. There is another Joe Walsh that has also ran for president and he was a conservative congressman. He had a conservation talk show a year or two back. My local station dropped him, so I don't know if he still has that going.

Meanwhile Joe Walsh the musician has a talk show on youtube now. It was a recording of a local show he hosted at a independent radio station. Don't know if he is still doing that or not, but he has it seems a youtube livestream now and has guests. The topic is always music.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to jam to this dynamic song--can't believe I had forgotten it. This IS the original version and banarama's version was only a cover. Only thing is I thought the lead vocalist was a dude....That's not a dude fer sure-- she's bodacious drop dead gorgious. She almost looks as good as momma.:)

Last edited: