Music and Musician Discussion Thread

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Music and Artist discussion thread

Lol xxo, that's a movie. It seems humorous, but it's too long for me to watch right now.
I thought it was a music video. That's ok though

Once you start watching, its hard to stop. Great movie.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

There lots of amazing female vocalists out there, like:

Ellie Rowsell

Angel Olsen

and Frazy Ford

and can't forget Polly Jean Harvey

GPM, this one is long but not a movie just a concert set.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I had to make myself pull away. I like those 70s humorous movies.
They call me trinity and my name is nobody were 2 that come to mind. A tease: https://youtu.be/IP11jDHwX98

The old movies were so much better than most of what we have now.

I guess I shoulda, just posted the trailer, which is funny too.

it's always good to see the Ramones! Brings back memories.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

It seems those old movies had a lot of creativity. I watched those videos. Seems like I have heard of that one by the black crows before, but didn't know it was them. I'm not into just female musicians only, but they are like a breath of fresh air and they season the airwaves. I'm learning there are a lot of good modern musicians out there. I'm kinda stuck in the late 60s to the late 80s on what I know. In that span of 20 something years the music was just phenomenal. Maybe though it also had something to do with the timeline it was set in. Especially in the early and late 70s songs just kept coming out that made a person say "whoa!". The disco era in between was kinda drab IMHO.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

i notonly hear music i see it. its hard to explain buy i see the notes. around 2000 or so i saw music was chsnged digalty.

I can't even read music. I know I can hear a certain song and it takes me back whether good or bad- mostly good. I look forward to Christmas for the music. I like the music better than any gift or holiday food. Some well known musicians can sing those old hymns so beautifully.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

I first heard this song when I started working for Auto Armature back in 89 and it got my attention a little. It kind of reminds me of that place.https://youtu.be/tDl3bdE3YQA , This woman and her song are a trip. I'm not concerned with what she says about religion because " religion" is such a generic term nowadays and even includes satanism.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool song, Raggie, I like that!

GPM I liked that Edie Brickwell song back in the day - probably haven't heard it in 25 years. I don't remember much else from that band, kinda a one hit wonder?

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool song, Raggie, I like that!

GPM I liked that Edie Brickwell song back in the day - probably haven't heard it in 25 years. I don't remember much else from that band, kinda a one hit wonder?

I tried to listen to the rest of the album, but it was bland, so I was thinking along the same lines. She did a couple more albums with them, had a solo career and did some songs with Steve Martin. It's like she disappeared but she didn't. I wonder if some bands are built around a single song and the rest of the album(s) are just filler to cash in on fading fans. I'm not condemning that way, I'm just disappointed that that's all they've got.
Yeah raggie33, that video you posted was unique.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened

Good thread guys. I'm a rock n roller, lead guitarist, and guitar collector from way back. I started to post a reply, but just hit the freakin' touch pad on the laptop with my palm somehow and deleted most of it. Will catch up to you guys tomorrow. It's too late and now I'm pissed off.

That Trouble tune sounds pretty cool.

JT

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for dropping in Guitar Guy. Come on back when you can.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

Speaking of one hit wonders- the band till tuesday comes to mind. I looked them up though and they have other good songs out there, but "voices carry" will still be the song they're known by. One of their later albums was good, but the record company didn't promote it for some reason. Aimee Mann, their lead singer has a solo career now and she is still going. She doesn't look like the same person since she dropped the punk hairstyle and makeup. She kinda looks like Bailey from that show WKRP in Cincinnati- glasses and all except her hair is now natural blonde. She plays "voices carry" acoustic style now. The only identifying thing left on her from her previous style is her top teeth. Wow, that means they're all original- at least the top ones. I think she looks good although she is getting on up in years, but aren't we all?

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

Top 40 love songs (yuk)- I hated those things. I would change the station and try to find something tolerable, but the only thing on the radio that sounded good was a dr. pepper commercial that used Robert Palmer's (RIP) "bad case of loving you" song. Our album oriented rock station went away and radio was just dry unless you liked top 40 and it seems like half of it consisted of those ol love songs. I met this female named **** one night and things just happened. Before I knew it we were in love and a little later on she beat me to the question of marriage.
I never felt like that before and crazy as it sounds those ol love songs seemed different when I heard them- like they took on a new meaning.
Anyhow, for reasons beyond my control we broke up and I started not liking love songs again....kind of anyway. Some still remind me of the good times we had together.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I remember a time during the divorce period of my life how Pearl Jam songs were seemingly about me. I used to wonder how happily married Eddie Vedder understood exactly how I felt at that time. Even songs by the Cars that made no sense at all seemed to make sense at that point. I won't call it a low point in life but will say I don't care to repeat it, nor would I wish it upon even an enemy. Yet music seemed to keep me sane through it all.

Whenever one of those "love songs" gets stuck in my head I'm like "aaaaaugh, make it stooooooop!" lol. One year my former drinking buddy and I were discussing music we secretly liked but would not dare tell our friends. We'd set around drinking and smoking with lights down low and just laaaaaugh about the younger days. One evening we were at his moms playing cards and he starts telling his mom about it. She whispers to him "Glenn, are you gay?" he says to her "everybody I know has been divorced, no way I'm getting divorced and no I'm not gay". His sister pops in the room and points at me and says "well, your friend there is rather cute so if you don't want him I'll take him". He retorts "he likes Duran Duran". I'm like "shut up man, nobody is supposed to know that". She replies "never mind, I hate that band"…… eventually we got her to admit that deep down inside she liked Duran Duran too.

I say former drinking buddy because I've not had a drink in nearly 20 years. :twothumbs

Last edited: