Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Re: Music and Artist discussion thread

Yay! I received my "Ofiicial Artist Channel" certification this morning :cool:

it`s only 2 years late! LOL

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like you went through a hard time also bykfixer- the more you love them the worse it is.

Congratulations Katherine, please keep us updated.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened

What's an "official artist channel certification" Katherine?

It`s basically a way to let your fans know that the person they`re interacting with is Really you and not some made up spoof chan, it`s means my Youtube chan (and music) are official and legit. It also links your personal account to the account your music publisher/distributer generates for you.

And here`s me having a year off because of burnout! LOL :D

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

ladygaga is the best singer we have today. she is perfect no autotune just perfection. she sounds better live then artist who had the vocals fixed digalty

Lady Gaga is certainly a talented singer (loved her in A Star Is Born), but there are many others her equal if not better if you're considering all music genres.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I gone and did it....I posted some country and redneck stuff in the "music to the marrow" thread. I think there is good music out there no matter what genre it is- except that old elevator music from the 70s. I tried to like it, but just can't. Guess I'm not cultured enough.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder what happened to Guitar Guy?
If y'all like the skynerd and 38 special sound I suggest "Van Zant". It is Johnny and Donnie Van Zant's efforts to release some country albums, but to me it still sounds like southern rock. I had two of their albums and liked them. They both sing on there. Some of their songs are really good and some I don't agree with. They have a God and country theme to them. I like how on "get right with the man" how Donnie says if you want to hear God laugh tell Him you plans. I put two songs up on the music to the morrow thread.

scout24

Flashaholic

For here or the RIP thread: Bunny Wailer (Neville Livingston) founder of The Wailers with Bob Marley and Peter Tosh, has passed away. Icon and legend, writer and musician of historical note for reggae fans. Last of his generation... I saw The Wailers perform with others in 1988 at an outdoor reggae fest, details are a bit hazy but it was a great afternoon of high energy music. RIP...

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

May they rest in peace.
Good ideal Scout24, this is a good place to pay tribute to all the musicians that pass on and your memories of them and their contributions. :thumbsup:

There are so many good musicians that have passed on including Neil Ellwood Peart who was the talented drummer for rush. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's strange how molly hatchet, .38 special and blackfoot existed before 1979, but in 79 they all skyrocketed and got commercial success. All the original members of molly hatchet have passed on and the name blackfoot is now owned by Ricky Medalocke and has totally new band members. Ricky oversees it and makes a guest appearance every now and then. 38 special has only one founding member left- Don Barnes. Donnie Van Zant (the one that started it all IMHO) left in 2013 due to inner ear nerve damage. Don Barnes sang most of their hits starting in 79. Before 79 they had a more molly hatchet sound which is evident on their 2nd album and blackfoot's first album had more of a skynerd sound, which isn't unnatural since Ricky Medalocke was one of the founding members of skynerd and has come back to skynerd to replace Allen Collins (RIP). May the former members of these bands that have passed on rest in peace.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Too bad the RIP thread died the other day……

You're the Captain by 38 special, Dreams I'll never see by Molly Hatchet and Left Turn on a Red Light by Blackfoot are some of my favorite songs ever. The Van Zant brothers really played a big role in rock n roll music in the 70's and 80's. Johnnie was my favorite.
If I recall Dreams is a cover of an Allman Bros song.

Speaking of Allman Bros, anybody ever see drummer Butch Trucks son Derek play the geet-tar. Hoooooly smokes! That guy is wicked fast and never misses a note. His hand is quicker than the eye. You can definitely tell he grew up around the Allman Bros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KXuYQ5jl0

Here's one of Dereks good ones.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just checked out your link bykfixer. He's got talent for sure.

I'm sorry about the rest in peace thread. I posted in there (and towards the end also), so I sure hope I didn't play a role in that. They said that someone can start a new one I think.

Johnny Van Zant had his own band in the 80s and he sang and played drums in it. He had a hit with "I'm the last of the wild ones", but I think it only got airplay on AOR stations. My favorite of the three brothers is Donnie because he is a cutup. I can appreciate a since of humor.

Yes, "deams I'll never see" was based off of the Allman Brother's song "dreams".

The Allman Brothers was a good band- a lot of talent in there. Too bad though they lost two of their members early on and on the same motorcycle. Dwayne Allman first while trying to get a peach from a truck hauling peaches- while going down the road and then Berry Oakley on the same bike. I don't remember all the details, but if memory serves me right it was a freak accident.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

The Outlaws was a great band too. I like Henry Pauls voice.

Although I don't listen to them much lately the Kinks is one of my favorite bands. If not for that Lola song many would not know who they were. But the lyrics is what I like best about the Kinks. Each song tells a story.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Having been an SRV fan since the late 70's, I just finished reading; Texas Flood: The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan.
What a tragic end to a phenomenal guitarist who had just put his life together.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

The day after SRV perished was a very somber to a whole generation of rock n roll fans.
Stevie was a hero to a whole lot of people. I suppose it had a lot to do with him getting his life straight. The day Stevie perished my generation stood still for a couple of days. I never was a huge fan but I did understand the profound loss to the world of music. As an outside observer I saw a lot of long faces and heard a lot of SRV music everywhere I went.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like "there goes another love song" by the outlaws. It also has some good guitar on it.

Didn't the kinks also do "paranoia will destroy you"? I liked that one. "Lola" had a good melody to it...man, I wonder if that really happened?

Stevie Ray Vaughan just came out with his latest album, his last album when I started listening to his music. I bought the album and wanted to see him in concert, but for some reason I didn't go when him and Eric Clapton came to the Hoover amphitheater. That is where the incident took place. He asked if he could get a ride in Clapton's helicopter and Eric said yes and to just go on ahead because he wanted to stick around a while and he would catch up later. The helicopter crashed not long after it took off. That was my last chance to see him live in concert.
I forget which song it was I saw a while back on youtube, but he was doing a concert and he was getting down on that guitar probably as good as Derek Trucks was in the video you posted bykfixer. Stevie had talent and I was glad to hear he was getting himself straight.
You know, the strange thing was the accident was probably going to happen no matter who rhode in the chopper. Eric didn't know it at the time, but whatever business he had here that made him stay behind saved his life.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just shared on "music to the marrow" two small videos of sctv's the fishing musician with John Candy starring Joe Walsh and his band including the famous session musician Waddy Wachtel. Joe pulls a prank on John and John gets him back after Joe plays a song for him.

Edit: I took them down

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*

now a days im into very fast christan heavy metal

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just shared on "music to the marrow" two small videos of sctv's the fishing musician with John Candy starring Joe Walsh and his band including the famous session musician Waddy Wachtel. Joe pulls a prank on John and John gets him back after Joe plays a song for him.

I remember watching that show, I was a huge SCTV fan back starting in the late 70's.