Music and Musician Discussion Thread

Empath

Flashaholic
I just figured that this could be a supplement to the popular "music to the marrow" thread where people could discuss music and artists. If the powers that be think it is a bad ideal or if there is another thread like it please just take it down. I guess technically I started it, but officially I want someone else to kick it off and see where it goes, so you all jump in there if this thread is useful.
The opening post of the thread had a noble purpose, but, it is now nearing the same purpose of our "music to the marrow" thread. It would be good to restore the special nuance of the thread theme, rather than encourage a collection of personal threads of music links.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like those songs where the last 10 or 20 seconds is the best part. Many songs during the fade out of the last few seconds have little mini solos, some tricky drum beat or something cool like that.

The Cars "all mixed up" comes to mind.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

This was a comeback song for John Folgerty. This song kinda has a special meaning for me here at this time. Hat's off to Mr. Folgerty who has kept going and still going today after his comeback from almost being squashed by a music company and the betrayal of his band members.
I dedicate this song to that certain someone.........

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
House of the Rising Sun has been recorded by Woody Guthrie, Lead Belly, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, The White Stripes, The Be Good Tanyas, Bicicletas (in Spanish), Bon Jovi, and The Animals, among many others. No one knows who wrote it and it seems to based on an old folk song that is hundreds of years old.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While working at the coast there was a talk show who often spoke of little known history and facts. Often he'd play tunes by the original artist.
It was surprising to hear some famous songs by famous artists were actually covers from long ago.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
While working at the coast there was a talk show who often spoke of little known history and facts. Often he'd play tunes by the original artist.
It was surprising to hear some famous songs by famous artists were actually covers from long ago.
There's a lot like that.

Tainted Love was a hit for Soft Cell in 1981, originally recorded by Gloria Jones in 1964:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those four or five songs I put up there went along with the time that song "venus" was popular although not quite in the same year. When songs were good they were played even after they dropped on the charts and for me it all blended together along with shambala, joy to the world-- both by three dog night and sooner or later by the grass roots and a few more and they all gave that weird small town vibe right when my family moved from Hammond, Indiana to Green Pond. Along with that came reruns of the Andy Griffeth show. I call it the Goober/Gomer age and all that with some of the weird, but good music gives me a smile when I reflect back on it.

I was going to write about this, but was tired and needed to sleep, but I stayed up posting music and finally went to bed and got around 3 hours sleep before I had to do another 12 hour shift. I had planned on writing this, but a little later as I am doing just now only to wake up from my 3 hours to find someone was dissappointed in the way the thread was going.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wondered for a while what the house of the rising sun was about. I've heard it mentioned and heard about it in other songs (devil went down to Georgia and 99 shades of crazy) and it was played on an episode of supernatural. Has anyone figured it out? In my opinion it seems like an evil place.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wondered for a while what the house of the rising sun was about. I've heard it mentioned and heard about it in other songs (devil went down to Georgia and 99 shades of crazy) and it was played on an episode of supernatural. Has anyone figured it out? In my opinion it seems like an evil place.
The rising sun was a gambling house, a brothel, a road house or even a women's prison, take your pick.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I always figured it was a hotel of ill repute left over from the cowboy days of the old west in America. Somewhere on the outside of town where local law enforcement looks the other way in exchange for the occasional cash donation to the secret policemen's ball.
It was almost referrenced in Thomas Dolby's I love you goodbye where he sung about being busted in New Orleans but let go for a small donation.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always figured it was a hotel of ill repute left over from the cowboy days of the old west in America. Somewhere on the outside of town where local law enforcement looks the other way in exchange for the occasional cash donation to the secret policemen's ball.
It was almost referrenced in Thomas Dolby's I love you goodbye where he sung about being busted in New Orleans but let go for a small donation.
That seems the most likely to me – the woman in the song is going back to a brothel after hoboing around with her gambling drunkard sweetheart.

There was a brothel in New Orleans operated by Madame Marianne LeSoleil Levant (which means "Rising Sun" in French) from 1862 until 1874, although the women's prison theory would explain the ball and chain reference if taken literally.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a ball and chain once. The ball was called "drugs" and the chain called "alcohol"……
For some the ball may be called "gambling".

Now my ball and chain are called "flashlights" and "ice cream sammiches" :grin2:

I always wondered if "the hotel California" was a "house of the rising son" where the sun sets over the ocean instead.

Reactions: xxo

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard the hotel cali was once a hotel before it became a satanic church back in1969. Might be the headquarters for others scattered around the country. Don Henley and Glenn Frey were both members before the eagles.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Shifting gears to the Vaccines.
This is not a covid-19 post, ok? No, it's about a band called the Vaccines.
Formed in 2010 this guitar band was a bit of a Ramones throw back (without the tinge of humor). Songs like "Ra Ra Wrecking Bar" "Post Break Up Sex" and "WolfPack" and by their second album were getting pretty famous with their high energy 2-1/2 minute, crank it up to 10 rockers. Their cover of the song "good guys don't wear white" by the Standells is awesome.

To be honest I have not kept up with them since 2012.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of Nirvana's recordings were covers and the then obscure Scottish band the Vaselines was Cobain's favorite – of the few songs recorded by the Vaselines, Nirvana covered 3 including this one:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That whole Nirvanna craze went around me but I did like that unplugged record they did.
I stopped at the Foo Fighters initial release.

Never got into Pearl Jam much either but will admit Eddie wrote some pretty profound songs about a broken heart.

The Foo Fighters song "for all the cows" has been on many-a playlist I've put together over the years.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shifting gears to the Vaccines.
This is not a covid-19 post, ok? No, it's about a band called the Vaccines.
Formed in 2010 this guitar band was a bit of a Ramones throw back (without the tinge of humor). Songs like "Ra Ra Wrecking Bar" "Post Break Up Sex" and "WolfPack" and by their second album were getting pretty famous with their high energy 2-1/2 minute, crank it up to 10 rockers. Their cover of the song "good guys don't wear white" by the Standells is awesome.

To be honest I have not kept up with them since 2012.

Lol, I bet that threw the adm. for a loop before they read more into it :banned2:. I thought at first you were getting onto me for talking about that here, but I didn't-- I checked to be sure. Then I read more into it and I was like.....OH! OK. He was talking about a band.