Music to the Marrow (To What Are You Listening?)

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I was in the army and was at the end of Kapooka (initial training) before march out, the platoon sergeant played this as we all got our rank slides put on us by the secco's who'd beasted us day and night.
It was pretty intense at the time. I loved it!

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
1968 I wasn't really into the whole psychedelic rock scene..

What Iron Butterfly lead singer was trying to sing is "In a Garden of Eden" He was so messed up on drugs and alcohol it came out as "In a Gadda da Vida"

At 17yo I thought he was speaking Latin (-;

RIP Doug Ingle
I saw Iron Butterfly perform at my high school in 68' :buttrock:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
@F89 were you part of Australian selective service (draftee) or enlistee?
Vietnam is the last time we had conscription in Australia. Although I'd argue that we should bring it back right now.
That's before my time.

I always intended to join out of high school but due to my circle of friends and my general less than ideal life choices it remained on hold.
Later I went to join in my mid twenties but had some minor trouble and was on a good behaviour bond which I'm not proud of. It made things difficult and halted my progress then by the time I'd moved on, generally in the wrong direction, I was not particularly interested when they got back to me and said they could make arrangements to take care of my situation and let me join.

Many years passed and in my mid thirties I went through the enlistment process and went off with a bunch of kids mainly (late teens to early 20 somethings) to Kapooka.
That was over ten years ago.
I served for six years.

Around the start of my service I settled down and became a family man. I'm not getting any younger either.

One sentence could have answered your question, Gary but there you go.

Regarding my story, the only Vietnam reference to it is that I was in Charlie Company at Kapooka and there's a motorcycle club of Vietnam vets connected to it and one bloke was there (from the club) while we were getting our rank and shook our hands while Redgum was playing. That and I've trained at all the places mentioned in the song.
Might sound a bit corny to some but it was an awesome time between those brass strips that meant a lot to me and everyone else, I'm sure.

I'm glad I joined and had those experiences. I'd have always been wondering and likely regretting if I never got there. I certainly couldn't have put it off a lot longer.

These days they can't get people to join and are having to result in some pretty **** weak methods.
Politically and socially I think my country and honestly most of the free world could really use taking and big step backwards in the way we conduct things. A bit of the old fashioned if you get me?
We need to preserve our ways and our ideals.

I better cut it there before I really start banging on.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting AC/DC cover by the Jets.
It almost looks like he enjoyed spewing up all that harbour water.

Vietnam is the last time we had conscription in Australia. Although I'd argue that we should bring it back right now.
That's before my time.

I always intended to join out of high school but due to my circle of friends and my general less than ideal life choices it remained on hold.
Later I went to join in my mid twenties but had some minor trouble and was on a good behaviour bond which I'm not proud of. It made things difficult and halted my progress then by the time I'd moved on, generally in the wrong direction, I was not particularly interested when they got back to me and said they could make arrangements to take care of my situation and let me join.

Many years passed and in my mid thirties I went through the enlistment process and went off with a bunch of kids mainly (late teens to early 20 somethings) to Kapooka.
That was over ten years ago.
I served for six years.

Around the start of my service I settled down and became a family man. I'm not getting any younger either.

One sentence could have answered your question, Gary but there you go.

Regarding my story, the only Vietnam reference to it is that I was in Charlie Company at Kapooka and there's a motorcycle club of Vietnam vets connected to it and one bloke was there (from the club) while we were getting our rank and shook our hands while Redgum was playing. That and I've trained at all the places mentioned in the song.
Might sound a bit corny to some but it was an awesome time between those brass strips that meant a lot to me and everyone else, I'm sure.

I'm glad I joined and had those experiences. I'd have always been wondering and likely regretting if I never got there. I certainly couldn't have put it off a lot longer.

These days they can't get people to join and are having to result in some pretty **** weak methods.
Politically and socially I think my country and honestly most of the free world could really use taking and big step backwards in the way we conduct things. A bit of the old fashioned if you get me?
We need to preserve our ways and our ideals.

I better cut it there before I really start banging on.
I wish you would've banged on a bit more when you replied to my politely posed query. Reads as if you've led a most interesting life.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish you would've banged on a bit more when you replied to my politely posed query. Reads as if you've led a most interesting life.
Is that when I was commenting on letschat7? If so I felt like I'd pretty much summed it up.

Interesting? Perhaps, that's one way to put it anyway.