Music you like but don't want your friends to know you like it

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's not much in the way of music I would feel "embarassed" to admit that I like. It's not a problem with much of it being earlier electronic; and instrumental so-called "new-age", as the artists are usually not recognized by people I mention it to, for example David Arkenstone, Patrick O'Hearn, Peter Maunu, etc.

No trouble "admitting" to liking Carpenters' music at least some of their tunes, and just picked up one of their CDs, which is a throwback to earlier/simpler times. I still like simplicity of CDs and now that people appear to be getting rid of theirs, thrift shops here are full of them at typically $1-$2 each, which used to cost ten times that, and I find most are in great condition.

Dave
Further on this, when I find something I like and recommend somebody else listen to it, rarely do they do it. Not sure why, perhaps people "know" what they like and already have enough to listen to. It's usually "oh yeah, yeah, I got busy" and I never hear further. Someone coming back to say they hated it would be more useful feedback, though not what I had hoped. I have picked up on some fantastic music from others which might not have been found otherwise, or much later by chance.

Another example, Little Boots aka Victoria Hesketh, British electro-pop/dance genre composer/performer has some good tunes. Dance is not my fave but find some are catchy e.g Satellite. Some are a bit ditzy but still fun to listen to, nothing too serious.

Dave

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There's not much in the way of music I would feel "embarassed" to admit that I like. It's not a problem with much of it being earlier electronic; and instrumental so-called "new-age", as the artists are usually not recognized by people I mention it to, for example David Arkenstone, Patrick O'Hearn, Peter Maunu, etc.

No trouble "admitting" to liking Carpenters' music at least some of their tunes, and just picked up one of their CDs, which is a throwback to earlier/simpler times. I still like simplicity of CDs and now that people appear to be getting rid of theirs, thrift shops here are full of them at typically $1-$2 each, which used to cost ten times that, and I find most are in great condition.

Dave
Who? lol I know what you mean. I have so many songs by so many artists when someone says "who is that?" I often say "I have no idea, hang on, let me look at the playlist".

My son has gotten most of his cd's and vinyl records at thrift stores.

yearnslow

Enlightened

Been listening to this for a week or so. I think they've got an album out on iTunes?
I don't care if my friends think it's weird!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always been a fan of old school acid rock. Never tripped acid or anything. Never even done any drugs at all. But most people nowadays wouldn't understand the complexity of those old bands and what they were trying to do.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I have an interesting take on this. Back when I was in late grade school or middle school, my brother and sister made fun of literally anything I listened to on the radio. I got so disgusted and turned off by it I just gave up on listening to music altogether. When people ask me what songs or artists I like, I honestly don't have any answers for them. Only thing I can say about the subject is the majority of songs I hear I don't like. At all. Occasionally I hear one or two, perhaps while shopping, but I can't be bothered to find out what the song is. My siblings both listen to music and have their preferences. My niece actually studied music in college. I guess the "music" part of my brain largely doesn't exist. It's not that I can't distinguish sounds. I've often used the different pitches coming from inductors in some switching regulators to help determine what's going on. I can easily hear when something is even a little off while riding my bike. I know music originally developed as a form of communication before writing. I guess most people are wired to like it and remember it. Either I'm not, or I got PTSD from my childhood experiences with it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
@bykfixer Considering most of the music you post, I'm surprised that you like the 70's disco music. 👍

Ahhh, 1976, the Bicentennial year, now that was a special year!
Man, we had Soul Train on tv, Casey Kasem on the radio, bell bottom jeans and flowered button up shirts. Fat Elvis was still wowing audiences, Vietnam was in the rear view mirror, and I was coming out of my shell as a kid.

My older siblings were listening to Doobie Bros and the Rolling Stones on hard the get FM radio stations, mine was a cheap AM radio that played "the hits". I think a 10oz non returnable pop was still a nickel. Maybe a dime that year. I know in one summer they went from a nickel to fifteen cents in just a short period.

My oldest sibling successfully changed me over from a soul music fan to rock fan when Frampton Comes Alive hit the airwaves like an atomic bomb. But to me disco music was just soul music done by white people. The OJays, Earth Wind & Fire, Barry White, and other great bands with orchestas in the background. Franki Vali and ELO were also high on my list of musicians the dames liked but my breathan on the baseball diamond denied liking.

I just liked music. I played a coronet in school. Not well but I tried. Teachers got upset I didn't learn to read music. I didn't need to. I heard it once and I could play it if I liked it. Disco had horns, and violins, and percussion instruments like bongos and bells. Peer pressure dictated I be against disco, so I enjoyed it when nobody was around. I never bought any disco albums but did have some 45's. But back then there was so much great music on the radio, one minute it's a disco song playing, the next minute Elton John belting out a Beatles cover, Doobie Bros, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and the like.

By 77 I was into a new Elvis. Elvis Costello. And Iggy Pop, had seen Aerosmith and Foghat live. I was a full on rock & roll fan. I did see Pablo Cruise at Lion Country Safari (now Kings Dominion) that year. Still a lot of variety of great music on the am radio though. But my skateboard bretheran were into a new wave of tunes from bands most had never heard like Ultravox, XTC, Talking Heads and yes Elvis Costello. A lot of the skateboarders were military brats from Califonia and Hawaii. So they had nice cars with nice, loud stereos belting out music while we were "kickin' out the jams" on skateboards. By then I was on my 3rd or 4th KISS album and KISS Alive had been released. My older siblings haaaaaaaaated KISS, which kinda made me like 'em more, really.

By 78 the KISS thing was a fad gone by. Yeah I bought the solo albums. But the Cars, DEVO, Blondie, Police, the Clash and a whole crop of west coast favs were playing on my record player. Never mind AM radio. It was FM for me. By then I had my older brothers hand me down MCS all in one stereo system with Pioneer speakers. The FM radio could pick up the radio stations at the beach on clear, cool nights so I got to hear the newest of the new wave numbers. I'd stay up all night listening to those stations with my hand me down headphones on.

Here's one I'd never let them know I liked

But ya gotta admit it's pretty catchy.

And for you weird Al fans

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Man, we had Soul Train on tv, Casey Kasem on the radio, bell bottom jeans and flowered button up shirts. Fat Elvis was still wowing audiences, Vietnam was in the rear view mirror, and I was coming out of my shell as a kid.

My older siblings were listening to Doobie Bros and the Rolling Stones on hard the get FM radio stations, mine was a cheap AM radio that played "the hits". I think a 10oz non returnable pop was still a nickel. Maybe a dime that year. I know in one summer they went from a nickel to fifteen cents in just a short period.

My oldest sibling successfully changed me over from a soul music fan to rock fan when Frampton Comes Alive hit the airwaves like an atomic bomb. But to me disco music was just soul music done by white people. The OJays, Earth Wind & Fire, Barry White, and other great bands with orchestas in the background. Franki Vali and ELO were also high on my list of musicians the dames liked but my breathan on the baseball diamond denied liking.

I just liked music. I played a coronet in school. Not well but I tried. Teachers got upset I didn't learn to read music. I didn't need to. I heard it once and I could play it if I liked it. Disco had horns, and violins, and percussion instruments like bongos and bells. Peer pressure dictated I be against disco, so I enjoyed it when nobody was around. I never bought any disco albums but did have some 45's. But back then there was so much great music on the radio, one minute it's a disco song playing, the next minute Elton John belting out a Beatles cover, Doobie Bros, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and the like.

By 77 I was into a new Elvis. Elvis Costello. And Iggy Pop, had seen Aerosmith and Foghat live. I was a full on rock & roll fan. I did see Pablo Cruise at Lion Country Safari (now Kings Dominion) that year. Still a lot of variety of great music on the am radio though. But my skateboard bretheran were into a new wave of tunes from bands most had never heard like Ultravox, XTC, Talking Heads and yes Elvis Costello. A lot of the skateboarders were military brats from Califonia and Hawaii. So they had nice cars with nice, loud stereos belting out music while we were "kickin' out the jams" on skateboards. By then I was on my 3rd or 4th KISS album and KISS Alive had been released. My older siblings haaaaaaaaated KISS, which kinda made me like 'em more, really.

By 78 the KISS thing was a fad gone by. Yeah I bought the solo albums. But the Cars, DEVO, Blondie, Police, the Clash and a whole crop of west coast favs were playing on my record player. Never mind AM radio. It was FM for me. By then I had my older brothers hand me down MCS all in one stereo system with Pioneer speakers. The FM radio could pick up the radio stations at the beach on clear, cool nights so I got to hear the newest of the new wave numbers. I'd stay up all night listening to those stations with my hand me down headphones on.

Here's one I'd never let them know I liked

But ya gotta admit it's pretty catchy.

And for you weird Al fans

Barry Manilow turned out some great stuff - Somewhere in the Night and I Write the Songs were two of my faves.

It's funny how AM radio was responsible for so many mis-heard lyrics because the fidelity was so poor. We have an oldies FM station in town and I've heard some of my old favorites with "new" ears thanks to FM's relative clarity. As a result I've found a number of songs where I've misunderstood the lyrics for years because I couldn't hear them clearly until now. It kind of makes some of the oldies new again.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an interesting take on this. Back when I was in late grade school or middle school, my brother and sister made fun of literally anything I listened to on the radio. I got so disgusted and turned off by it I just gave up on listening to music altogether. When people ask me what songs or artists I like, I honestly don't have any answers for them. Only thing I can say about the subject is the majority of songs I hear I don't like. At all. Occasionally I hear one or two, perhaps while shopping, but I can't be bothered to find out what the song is. My siblings both listen to music and have their preferences. My niece actually studied music in college. I guess the "music" part of my brain largely doesn't exist. It's not that I can't distinguish sounds. I've often used the different pitches coming from inductors in some switching regulators to help determine what's going on. I can easily hear when something is even a little off while riding my bike. I know music originally developed as a form of communication before writing. I guess most people are wired to like it and remember it. Either I'm not, or I got PTSD from my childhood experiences with it.

For a similar reason, I also hate soft-boiled eggs and boiled chicken skin, well, only if there is absolutely nothing to eat, I eat them..

Perhaps you would like to make music yourself, if you assemble a theremin, there is an interesting electrical circuit and a human part of the circuit, coils, coils, coils