Must have list #2 - Unmodified lights through the ages

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I talked to Henry for an hour and a half a few days ago, which is always pretty interesting.

During the course of the conversation I brought up the Must Have List and we both wondered how it would change the list if lights had to be judged in their as-supplied-by-manufacturer form.

There are a few lights that have been kept out of the list too, like the Ion and Titan or some of the Photon Fanatic lights, because they're one-offs or out of production. Henry added, they should be as shipped from the manufacturer. No drop-ins, no emitter changes. Manufacturer options probably allowable if they were options readily available to the general public.

This may not get the same interest as the original Must Have thread, but will most definitely give a different perspective due to the variation in selection parameters. I really wanted Rich to run this one too, but he's too busy now, so here it is.

It will be interesting to see which lights do well on both lists, which ones appear due to not being allowed on the original, and which ones drop as a result of not being able to be modded versions.

With that said, I add my Ion and Titan, both of which were not allowed since they were no longer in production. Rich's original idea for the Must Have list was to only list lights still available. In this list you'll be able to see what lights have a high level of popularity, even if no longer made. Then you can go collect them in the MarketPlace! :devil:

One of the lights that did well in the original thread was the 6P, with a good number of people listing drop-ins. If the drop in is a stock Surefire drop-in, then it fits in this thread. However any aftermarket drop-ins would not be allowed.

Must Have - unmodified lights

Ra/HDS Clicky - 17

Zebralight (90°) - 9

Surefire A2 - 7

NiteCore D10 - 5
Surefire M6 - 5

Arc AAA - 4
Ra/HDS Twisty - 4
4Sevens Quark AA - 4

LiteFlux LF2XT - 3
Muyshondt Aeon - 3
Photon Freedom - 3
Surefire L1 - 3
Surefire 6P - 3
4Sevens Quark MiNi AA - 3

Arc LS - 2
Eagletac T20C2 MkII - 2
Fenix E01 - 2
Fenix TK20 - 2
Modamag Draco/Drake - 2
Surefire E1B - 2
Surefire E2DL - 2
Surefire E2E - 2
Surefire Titan - 2

Bitz - 1
Fenix P2D - 1
Fenix T11 - 1
Fenix TA21 - 1
FireFli - 1
ITP Eos III Improved - 1
Jetbeam Jet-IIIM - 1
Jetbeam RRT-0 - 1
Mac EDC SST-50 - 1
Malkoff MD2 - 1
MG L-Mini - 1
Muyshondt Ion - 1
Muyshondt Nautilus - 1
Nitecore EX10 - 1
NiteCore EZAA - 1
Peak AA - 1
Photon Rex - 1
Polarion PH-40 - 1
Princeton Tec EOS headlamp - 1
Princeton Tec EOS Rebel - 1
Surefire E1L - 1
Surefire Kroma - 1
Surefire LX2 - 1
Surefire M3 - 1
Surefire U2 - 1
4Sevens ReVO - 1

Top brands regardless of model

Surefire - 31
Ra/HDS - 21
Zebralight - 9
Nitecore - 7
Arc - 6
4Sevens - 6
Fenix - 7
Muyshondt - 5

Here's a link to the original Must Have thread in which only presently available lights are listed, but they can be modded as well. Go here if you're looking for lights still being manufactured and to see what lights people like once modded as well.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
So we are allowed to post limited production lights in this thread so long as they are unmodified? I'm a bit hazy on the rules...:stupid:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
So we are allowed to post limited production lights in this thread so long as they are unmodified? I'm a bit hazy on the rules...:stupid:
In a word, yes. (Only an answer to the first part of your post, and as yet undetermined about the last part. :nana:)

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a modder (not counting *Hotwires*), so my list remains the same.

Photon Freedom
ITP Eos III Improved
4Sevens Quark AA on a 14500

nbp

Flashaholic
In a word, yes. (Only an answer to the first part of your post, and as yet undetermined about the last part. :nana:)

What a bully. :devil:

Ok, then I nominate my Ti Ra Clicky. Need I say more?

Also the BitZ. For being one of the tiniest 1x123 lights I've seen, with awesome construction and a flawless beam.

And I would say that I am pretty fond of my Ti QMiNi AA Neutral tint.

These are limited number lights, but they are awesome. Ironic that two of them came from you Pete. :thinking: We must just have similar taste in lights. :shrug:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
LOL

All four of the lights I voted for on the other thread are indeed stock. Once again . . .

1- Nitecore EZ AA (with older U.I.)
2- SureFire L1 Cree
3- Photon Freedom
4- Princeton Tec EOS headlamp.

:party:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
What a bully. :devil:

Ok, then I nominate my Ti Ra Clicky. Need I say more?

Also the BitZ. For being one of the tiniest 1x123 lights I've seen, with awesome construction and a flawless beam.

And I would say that I am pretty fond of my Ti QMiNi AA Neutral tint.

These are limited number lights, but they are awesome. Ironic that two of them came from you Pete. :thinking: We must just have similar taste in lights. :shrug:
To the contrary, I simply didn't want to weigh in on something I had no way of judging. :naughty:

I think a lot of us have similar needs in a light, which is different from those driven by aesthetic choices, and I like to think that we're both pretty practical-minded flashaholics. Now you're making me want to get another Bitz. :ohgeez:

nbp

Flashaholic
To the contrary, I simply didn't want to weigh in on something I had no way of judging. :naughty:

I think a lot of us have similar needs in a light, which is different from those driven by aesthetic choices, and I like to think that we're both pretty practical-minded flashaholics. Now you're making me want to get another Bitz. :ohgeez:

Mike75 has a Ti BitZ for sale in the MP right now....:whistle:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Mike75 has a Ti BitZ for sale in the MP right now....:whistle:
I saw that, but if I get another Bitz it'll be an aluminum beater unit. Are you bored with that 85Tr yet?

I added my Draco to the list - love this light which is always with me and I used it quite a bit the other night working on the plumbing. I can hold it in my mouth for a long time since it weighs virtually nothing and when I don't need it anymore, just drop it and it's still hanging where it actually casts light for a could feet in front of me.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
SF-A2
SF-6P or 6PL (LED or incan take your pick. Stock or modded its a great light either way)
Zebralight H501

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wanted Rich to run this one too, but he's too busy now, so here it is.

Sorry kaichu, I've been traveling for business quite a bit, so not able to get on very often right now.

Very interesting thread. There are a number of ways a "must-have" list can be defined, and this is definitely a different spin on the concept. I felt that since this is a flashlight hobbiest forum, many will choose to modify many of their lights because they can, and it is all part of the fun. I didn't want to get too restrictive, especially on a "must-have" list for flashaholics, rather than the typical consumer. However, some lights are just too perfect just as they are, and don't need any modification at all - at least for a while...:whistle:

That said, two lights of mine that continue to remain unmodified are:
  • HDS Systems EDC
  • HDS Systems Twisty
However, once there is a Seoul SSC "P5" high CRI emitter, they are getting modified....:devil:

Please add my votes!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Sorry kaichu, I've been traveling for business quite a bit, so not able to get on very often right now.

Very interesting thread. There are a number of ways a "must-have" list can be defined, and this is definitely a different spin on the concept. I felt that since this is a flashlight hobbyist forum, many will choose to modify many of their lights because they can, and it is all part of the fun. I didn't want to get too restrictive, especially on a "must-have" list for flashaholics, rather than the typical consumer. However, some lights are just too perfect just as they are, and don't need any modification at all - at least for a while...:whistle:

That said, two lights of mine that continue to remain unmodified are:
  • HDS Systems EDC
  • HDS Systems Twisty
However, once there is a Seoul SSC "P5" high CRI emitter, they are getting modified....:devil:

Please add my votes!
You've just done such a great job in the original Must Have thread that it seemed natural to have you do this one too, but this will leave you more time to peruse the MarketPlace instead. :whistle:

Unless I'm mistaken you're referring to the Ra Twisty, which is no longer available? Since there was an HDS EDC I listed it, and put the other one in as the Ra Twisty. (RIP
icon9.gif
)