Must I wear gloves to use this light?

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
As a victim (pre CPF) of sitting down with an inadvertantly turned on high power incand in a pocket (you stand back up really really quickly) I can see the wisdom of a warning for non-flashaholics.

My Mom had skin as thin as tissue paper and a hot light could easily have burnt her badly within a second.

She also was wise enough to know that anything really bright would also probably have the potential to get really hot.

She would have gotten a really good laugh from this and said 'Just a simple light gets hot phrase in the instructions would suffice.':ironic:

Chadder

Enlightened
I guess this means I should quit putting my activated flashlights in my mouth!! Of course if I put it in a headband them :poof: there goes my hair!
What little I have left!!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like some of these guys have referenced, any body who's owned an old Lux-V L4 knows EXACTLY why they have warning #3...

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my SF lights has that "Caution: Hot Surface" in their heads, but I should say that they NEVER got hot, even during a long time use in high mode.

They´re all LED lights, with TIR optics.

:shrug:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Do normal people need a warning, no. Sadly there is a portion of people out there that are very "special".

Nope! Even special people can be taught how to handle a bright light.

It's the stupid folks out there who need the warnings. ;)

HKJ

Flashaholic
Another light, this time the warning is much more sensible (No reason for gloves):

DSC_3474.jpg

z17813

Newly Enlightened
If SF labeled their lights with a picture of a 6P burning a hole through my hand and the beam searing my retina, I'd be much more careful with how I handled my lights.

If that had that image then someone would sue them when it didn't work like a laser ;) :rolleyes:

You can't win :ohgeez:

Chadder

Enlightened
Another light, this time the warning is much more sensible (No reason for gloves):

DSC_3474.jpg

I wonder which one is the newest? I would guess the second one. Maybe they caught it before us and made the correction. I can just imagine the guys doing the pacaging having a good laugh at the folks in management. It probably made its way up the chain after a few thousand went out. Thats what we call "internal quality control" or "Final Inspection".

don.gwapo

Enlightened
What about a SF with stainless steel head with a 1000 lumen drop-in. Probably you need protection in holding this light after a few minutes coz the head will be very hot to handle. :D.