Muyshondt has really disappointed. I will never buy from him again. Am I wrong here?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank goodness for the likes of Mcgizmo, Malkoff and HDS.

Peak LED, too. They make an excellent AA the same size as the Maus.
It's pretty much bomb proof and is $60.

I've only had 1 Peak fail and that was due to an efest battery burning up a chip on the driver.
A replacement was sent to me the same day...they replaced the entire light...wasn't even Peak's fault.

ledbetter

Enlightened
One of my first posts over 10 years ago was questioning where Muyshondt lights were made. I was pretty sure they were made somewhere in Asia but was shouted down that this was false, and even threatened by a mod to change the subject or get blocked. How times change! Still I tried a few of Enrique designed lights and sold all except one of his earliest, an aaa mako, which I still have and use. Basically a tarted up Arc. He reminds me of all the knife designers out there currently whose knives are entirely made in Taiwan or PRC but who box them up and add stickers and sell them to Americans for a few hundred who think they got a great deal for titanium and carbon fiber "custom" knives that would cost a thousand/s, if available, and if made in the US. I don't buy these knives. I actively try to avoid PRC products.

Seeing that neither Enrique or any of his customers defended his products on this platform shows how little influence CPF currently has. It's all about Instawank and facebook for glamour shots and sales.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chinese knives have gotten really expensive over the past few years. Labour costs are getting higher in china aswell & even they eventually have to face reality when it comes to production & labor costs. They've also noticed that they can match or exceed quality of European & American manufacturers and that westerners are willing to pay a premium. The times of cheap products made in china are nearing an end. Ive been quite shocked recently to see European & American knife makers sell their products at lower prices then the Chinese competitors using the same materials. Chinese economy isnt doing nearly as well as many people think & its only getting worse.

LRJ88

Enlightened
There's a lot of trash talk and talk around the point in question here, as has been stated the flashlight started doing this after switching to the second battery, the issue was not found during the use of the whole first battery which could indicate that what went wrong happened sometime around when the battery swap took place.

At the moment it could be anything from a legitimate issue to a battery issue, a mechanical issue, something coming loose, it could even for all we know be buyer's remorse and intentional sabotage to that end.

It's easy to throw a lot of poop at Muyshondt, but in this case they gave an alternative to solve this and the alternative was rejected, the terms and conditions of the purchase clearly states that the object in question can not be returned. To add to this he also said the following:

"I don't like the light but that isn't why I want to return it. I want to return it because it's defective. I spent $325. I don't want a repaired light. I don't want to be inconvenienced by having to send it back to receive another light that will probably suffer from the same defect. I think I should be allowed a refund. If he didn't sell defective products we wouldn't be in this predicament."

And this smells fishy as all hell to me.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot of trash talk and talk around the point in question here, as has been stated the flashlight started doing this after switching to the second battery, the issue was not found during the use of the whole first battery which could indicate that what went wrong happened sometime around when the battery swap took place.

At the moment it could be anything from a legitimate issue to a battery issue, a mechanical issue, something coming loose, it could even for all we know be buyer's remorse and intentional sabotage to that end.

It's easy to throw a lot of poop at Muyshondt, but in this case they gave an alternative to solve this and the alternative was rejected, the terms and conditions of the purchase clearly states that the object in question can not be returned. To add to this he also said the following:

"I don't like the light but that isn't why I want to return it. I want to return it because it's defective. I spent $325. I don't want a repaired light. I don't want to be inconvenienced by having to send it back to receive another light that will probably suffer from the same defect. I think I should be allowed a refund. If he didn't sell defective products we wouldn't be in this predicament."

And this smells fishy as all hell to me.
I don't think there's a lot of objection to the overall handling of customer service? It could be better but things being what they are, it doesn't seem completely unreasonable of the seller and likely what I'd expect from this type of seller.
What myself and others are paying more notice to is that the product and marketing is a complete toss. While this may not be what the story is about, it's hard to overlook.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak LED, too. They make an excellent AA the same size as the Maus.
It's pretty much bomb proof and is $60.

I've only had 1 Peak fail and that was due to an efest battery burning up a chip on the driver.
A replacement was sent to me the same day...they replaced the entire light...wasn't even Peak's fault.
I once bought a Logan. He turned out to have an assembly jamb - the lens is installed crookedly and there is a gap. I noticed this after working in wet conditions. The beam became blurry. It was lucky that the water did not short circuit the circuit and he did not die completely, as did another flashlight, in which they forgot to put a seal behind the glass. As a result, I had to press the lens myself and seal it with epoxy. The next day, my QTC died - it looked like a square with a hole and one side was torn. I was lucky that my friends at the CPF sent a couple of spare QTC pieces. I also did not like the LED, it was clearly not a high CRI and bad beam - looked like a wind rose of blue and yellow

Robyn promised to send the another head in return in 2019, but never got in touch afterwards.
1668331176348.png

1668331193112.png

Mike G

Newly Enlightened
My unwanted five cents... to me, this is less about whether the warranty policy is legal - which it is, but whether the customer service rendered is good - which, in my opinion, it is not. It's okay at best, and definitely less than expected for something advertised and sold as a premium product (over 300 USD for a keychain light... wowzers). There's a lot of companies out there selling way cheaper products with way better customer service attached, so Muyshondt is holding out for sure.

That said, I think Mr. Delicious should send the light in for repair before reaching for the nuclear option, just to see what happens - wouldn't hurt... unless Muyshondt expects the buyer to pay for return shipping, which would squarely knock the service rating down to poor at best and definitely justify a chargeback in my eyes. Then again, I also think it shouldn't be legal to reject returns for non-perishable items, so maybe I'm just biased.

Kinda rude and disingenuous to ask for the name of his company too, imo.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Appreciate the responses. Again I think the old aeon was a great light because was someone else's design that he copied anyway. This thing is a piece of junk. If he didn't sell defective products I wouldn't be in this position. I wasn't going to return it. My fault for buying a piece of junk. But once, on the second battery it started to malfunction, I felt I was definitely within my right to return it. But he will be getting the light back and I will be calling my credit card company. Just wanted to put it out there thanks

Did you try a different battery?

Lumen83

Enlightened
Once upon a time I bought a $75,000 car and it got a flat tire. Turns out I didn't like the car so I tried to get my money back. Nope, they wouldn't give me a refund and I should not have to drive around in a repaired car. That car company sucks.
Nuf said?

You forgot to tell your lender to stop making payments to the dealership.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Once upon a time I bought a $75,000 car and it got a flat tire. Turns out I didn't like the car so I tried to get my money back. Nope, they wouldn't give me a refund and I should not have to drive around in a repaired car. That car company sucks.
Nuf said?
With one correction, it's an unsubstantiated claim there's a flat tyre, the car dealership has said they'll change the tyre but you don't want to have that done.

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
Nuf said?
Tires are a consumable good, with the expectation that you will need to repair or replace much like ink in your printer, or the air filter in your AC unit. If the policy is the policy about copper products, then the user should have known that, and I would encourage a retailer to highlight that to an annoying fact so the customer isn't surprised.

When I look on eBay, I often look to see if returns are allowed, and I will make offers if they are not to balance out that risk.

However the company is offering to correct any issues, which they should make best effort, but not necessarily required to do (regardless if it's $3 or $300 in this case). I would not dispute this with the credit card company yet, as you have not done everything within reason to rectify the purchase that you knowingly made.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuf said?
In this case, it's more likely if the gearbox is stuck in 3rd gear and refuses to shift. My familiar dealer would not return the money, only a repair, but first it takes 2-3 months for diagnostics, and in the process he would remove some original spare parts and replace them with used analogues in order to compensate for his monetary losses due to warranty repairs
Ok. Tell me if I am wrong. I purchased a $325 maus from his website. The flashlight is defective. It doesn't shut off. It constantly runs.
If the flashlight works all the time, even if you remove the battery, then this is a very good flashlight, I would not refuse this. Or do you mean that when turned on, it only works at a high level and cannot be switched to lower levels?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
However the company is offering to correct any issues, which they should make best effort, but not necessarily required to do (regardless if it's $3 or $300 in this case). I would not dispute this with the credit card company yet, as you have not done everything within reason to rectify the purchase that you knowingly made.
Sounds like the No Returns policy was buried in the fine print. O.P. did everything to get the situation rectified. Contacted the dealer. Was told they'd look into repairing it. When he asked for a refund because it failed on him so soon after purchase, he was given a flat "No. Tough lucky, buddy." What's he supposed to do? Beg and plead until they get sick of him and return his money out of frustration? Everything within reason was already done.

It failed on him. He lost confidence in it. That happens. Whether it's an irrational psychological reaction or a cautious outlook, is debatable. (Though outside the scope of this topic.) Pick anything in Life. Yes, even cars. You lose confidence in it shortly after getting it, it's a normal reaction to want your money back. One acquaintance years ago bought a beautiful Baby Browning pistol. Took it to the range twice. Week apart. It jammed badly during the 2nd outing. Was supposed to be his back-up gun. He contacted the seller and wanted his money back. Understandable.

But okay, let's talk cars. Far from a flat tire. Co-worker of mine about a decade ago wanted something small and fun, but affordable. He knew that I know about cars. So he asked my recommendation. He turns up to work in a high-mileage 2011 VW Golf GTI. Keep in mind it was brand new just the previous year from back then. I had advised him not to get it. All the usual VW issues. And, truth is, literally everyone I know who has bought a performance trim Golf; has been left stranded by it. Well, one guess what happened a few days later.... He lost all confidence in the car. Again, understandable.

He could live with the rattles coming from the dashboard and the passenger's side front door. He was even willing to take a chance on the typical rust issues VWs sometimes develop. But leaving him stranded was too much. He wanted his money back. A repair just wasn't going to cut it. Even though he bought an extended warranty from the dealer. Dealer also gave him a flat out "No." Things got ugly, and it took several months; along with a lawsuit. But he got his money back.

Hey, when you have dirt cheap companies like Taylor Cutlery willing to stand by their cheaply made, Made in China knives with a rock-solid return policy which they absolutely honor. There is no reason for any company to say "Absolutely no returns," buried in the fine print. If we're talking a full blown custom or bespoke item with such a policy in big bold print on a company's main page, fine. That's not what we're talking about here.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Sounds like the No Returns policy was buried in the fine print. O.P. did everything to get the situation rectified. Contacted the dealer. Was told they'd look into repairing it. When he asked for a refund because it failed on him so soon after purchase, he was given a flat "No. Tough lucky, buddy." What's he supposed to do? Beg and plead until they get sick of him and return his money out of frustration? Everything within reason was already done.

OP is trying to get his way despite the warranty and returns, which he agreed to, not allowing returns of the product he purchased. He can beg and plead all he wants, it's not reasonable that he then speculates the possibility to circumvent that contract by having his credit card decline that transfer, that's theft.

He hasn't even posted requested pictures of the flashlight itself which could help us and him see what might be wrong with it, if there's anything wrong with it. So far there's been no proof either way, which means this could well be a manufacturing error, but it might also be user error.

OP has posted twice in this thread, but there's scant few details about the sequence in which these errors have cropped up other than after changing batteries, no clarification. OP might well be right, but there's no proof of it either way as it is.

Reactions: DRW

ledbetter

Enlightened
Odds are it's a battery problem. It's a stupid battery size(N) and I don't know why I bought a maus. Thought I could use rechargeables, as Enrique said they worked, but the ones I bought didn't fit and energizer doesn't make lithiums in that size(at least they didn't when I had the light). So stuck with alkaleaks which I often left out of the light when not in use/rotation. Lower light settings also were wonky with dying batteries. What's wrong with AAA for keychain lights? Marginal size difference with much better battery options. Muyshondt loves being special/niche but usually at the cost of practicality. CR2 is another stupid battery choice.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
OP is trying to get his way despite the warranty and returns, which he agreed to, not allowing returns of the product he purchased. He can beg and plead all he wants, it's not reasonable that he then speculates the possibility to circumvent that contract by having his credit card decline that transfer, that's theft.
It's only theft if the buyer keeps the light, once his C.C. company does the charge-back. He never once said that's what he plans to do. And, in an earlier post, I recommended that he return the light certified mail. That way, there can be no dispute regarding theft. It's simple. Seller gets back his item. Buyer gets back his money. Zero theft involved. Only difference is, instead of the buyer being unhappy with not having his money; the seller is unhappy with getting his light back. (Which he can re-sell easily to another customer. The light being partially made out of cooper is just a sad excuse for a No Return policy. It's called a professional polishing cloth. Costs a few bucks, and does a fantastic job getting tarnish off of cooper so the cooper looks brand new again.)

Again, if this was a custom or bespoke item with a No Returns policy being blatantly clear on the seller's website; it would be different. But I can't stand that fine print BS. Just an excuse to cheat customers. I've both sold and bought numerous items online. As a seller, I treat buyers the way I'd want to be treated. I've had buyers want refunds for a variety of different reasons. Some reasonable, some silly. My policy is simple. Either mail it back and I'll have it fixed at my own expense, or you can have a refund. Everyone who wanted a refund, got one! That's the way it should be. Stand by the product you sell. I sure as hell do. Buyer wants a refund? You give it to him. DONE!

Quite frankly.... I'm not going to sit here and defend a seller whose business practices and standards are gutter trash compared to my own. Not happening. Not one of my buyers was ever forced to do a credit card charge-back. And never will.

EDIT: Due to an odd glitch that only posted half of this comment.

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
It's only theft if the buyer keeps the light, once his C.C. company does the charge-back. He never once said that's what he plans to do. And, in an earlier post, I recommended that he return the light certified mail. That way, there can be no dispute regarding theft. It's simple. Seller gets back his item. Buyer gets back his money. Zero theft involved. Only difference is, instead of the buyer being unhappy with not having his money; the seller is unhappy with getting his light back.

Again, if this was a custom or bespoke item with a No Returns policy being blatantly clear on the seller's website; it would be different. But I can't stand that fine print BS. Just an excuse to cheat customers. I've both
If he sends the flashlight back to them and they don't accept it they've still lost that money. They can't refurb it and resell it, it's not economically viable to rip out the electronics and slap it into another host.

If you want to make sure you can get the service you want then you have to read the fine print, especially since so many companies already have policies against returns on copper etc.

If OP wants to get money back he should try to sell it instead, maybe he won't get all the money back but it'd be some of it, in this current situation that's a better approach than to force a company to go against their own policies because he's butthurt.

Reactions: DRW

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
I remember that I was taking a "risk" getting the Cu maus re returnability. I got a Cu Prometheus Beta, too. Money well spent. Love the blue highlights...