My fellow CPFers'. Are we getting silly when it comes to flashlight size?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 is just about perfect in terms of size if you are going somewhere just to use the light (nightime dogwalk, camping trip), but if you are going to be carrying a light in your pocket just in case the it is way too big! I carry a Fenix EO on keychain and my new Jetbeam C-LE in my coat pocket. I can't even tell that either of them are there. I consider the C-LE to be just about the perfect size for pocket carry. A little more length wouldn't bother me but if it was alot larger around I wouldn't EDC it in my pocket.
I think any single AA light is the right size for pocket EDC. If you are going to carry your light in a belt holster than the G2 is fine, but if you are going to carry it in a coat or pants pocket than you are going to want something quite a bit smaller.

tenfour

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion, it's not silly to ask for better/smaller/more. Might be silly to demand it when it's not available though.

FASTCAR

Banned
Not long ago cell phones checked in at 5+ lbs and bigger then a brick.
Some times smaller is better....lights anyway :whistle:

KROMATICS

Enlightened
FASTCAR said:
Not long ago cell phones checked in at 5+ lbs and bigger then a brick.
Some times smaller is better....lights anyway :whistle:

Cell phones have gotten too small. It doesn't even feel like you are talking into something. Maybe that's why people yell into them.

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
Small is beautiful. I recently got a Petzl e+Lite, which is a tiny head-lamp. It runs off two coin cells. It weighs so little, the strap can be light too and doesn't need to be tight, and you hardly notice it on your head.

Sable

Enlightened
I occasionally think that things are getting silly, yes.

My "Old-style" Surefire L1 is exactly the perfect size for my hands, and I have heard complaints that it is "too large" for a one-cell light. That boggles my mind, somehow. I carry this light in my front jeans pocket, using the clip so that it is at the very back at the pocket. I am not a big person, and the light essentially disappears until I need it - it is not uncomfortable or inconvenient; it's the only way I would carry it.

I also have a PD, and this is on the very boundary of being too small for an EDC. I've hauled it around for a while and I'm really starting to like the size, but I couldn't deal with something smaller - for me, it just wouldn't be comfortable to hold.

I find that lights like the P1 or Orb are far more suited for keychain duty, which is why that's where my P1 is. 1x123 lights between the PD and L1 are my ideal size of light, which it seems more and more is on the "OMFG gigantic" side of things. I find that curious.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda like all the other gadgets we tend to carry....they become smaller as technology allows components to be smaller yet produce equal or better output/performance.

I used to carry around the first gen Motorola brick phone...did I wish for something smaller...yeah and now we have them. LEDS are improving and we have more output...what hampers their shrinkage is the power source. Would I desire smaller sure. AT this stage, I have no problems using/carrying a 1x123 sized light now.

(This forum helps shrink the wallet so the light balances it out. ;) )