My first bicycle light

Kalasznikov

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. I would like to show off my first light for my bike. I made it few months ago but I didn't have much time to show it on the forum. My light consist of: XM-L T6 1C, typical driver (8xAMC), lens from Ledil (20*). Body was made from Alu+Mg, I think it is good connection. It is quite hard and allow to pass out heat. In less than 10 min body is so hot that I can't touch it. Of course it is in room. Outside, when I use max mode the body isn't even warm. To power the flashlight I use 4 x Li-ion battery pack and I can use it for over 2 hours in max mode. I have never seen before XM-L diode in action before this one and that was just like explosion for me when I turned it on for the first time. I havent't made switch yet so I ride on my bike always on max mode :). Here are some pictures:

As You can see I have special part for roads and thus the beam is cut off so I don't blind drivers. I know it is not perfect flashlisght, it is even quite ugly but You have to notice that I didn't know nothing about flashlight when I made it :). Now I am in process of doing small EDC on XP-G. In the near future I show it here. I think it might be interesting.

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a nice looking light! Very well done!
I like the small hood to cut off the beam for road riding too. It certainly helps to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

1nterceptor

Newly Enlightened
Nice project! If you're concerned about blinding oncoming traffic,
maybe you can mount it lower. By the forks or headtube of the frame.
I use a SSC P7 flashlight attached on my helmet so I can steer the
beam in the direction I want. I may dip my helmet to the right when I'm
approaching an oncoming cyclist on a tight bike path; or I may
purposefully "light up" the face of a driver who is about to run a
stop sign/light entering my right of way.

Kalasznikov

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for good words about my flaslight. The hood works almost well but I have to make it a little bit longer to cut off more beam beacause sometimes drivers show me that my light blind them. I'm working on makeing my next bicycle flashlight and I think I will show it in next two weeks because my lathe hand already got drawings of it. It will not a marvel art. but I think it will be surely better than older one. Additionaly as I mentioned in my last post I made a project of small EDC on XP-G.