My first decent light just arrived, Sunwayman d40a nw :)

xellz

Newly Enlightened
Received small and light package just now, of course tried out right away. Charged eneloops were waiting on desk for a while already :)

Really impressed, feel of quality, i see how bright it is even in daylight. My old led flashlight powered by 3xAAA is about twice less bright than low mide on d40a which is about 30lumens :hahaha:
Would like mode changing in opposite direction, don't like much turbo > low cycle. But not a problem.

Waiting for sunset now to try it out outside.

p.s.
Looks like this is a start of new hobby :)

xellz

Newly Enlightened
Just took a walk outside, almost no lights nearby. Even on streets lighting is quite dim and big spaces between them, quite often it's too dark to walk without any light. I think i'm kind of lucky to get into flashlights now with xm-l2, efficient circuity, superior design etc. Well, my reaction outside was... "WOOOAAAAH!!!! O_O" Now walking in the evening or night will be a lot more more enjoyable. I like to watch sunsets from somewhere without much light pollution, but with my simple cheap light quite often was hesitating to go. This light just oozing with reliability, really bright too.

Hehe, i got really excited as you see :) Feels like i'm holding something like a light-saber, lol

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
xellz, the d40a looks like a well made compact thrower. I hope you get much enjoyment from it. Have a great day...and night!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would like mode changing in opposite direction, don't like much turbo > low cycle. But not a problem.

With the light turned off, press and hold the power button until the super-secret "moon" mode comes on.
Once it's in "moon" mode pressing the mode button will cycle -UP- to "medium" and then "Turbo".
Once you've hit "Turbo", the mode button then goes back to the normal start high and step down "turbo-high-med-low" cycle.

Also be aware that at some point you WILL hit both buttons at the same time and activate the lockout mode at which point you'll stand there saying "oh what is wrong with this thing". Simply press both buttons, or even easier, loosen and re-tighten the battery compartment.

Last edited:

xellz

Newly Enlightened
With the light turned off, press and hold the power button until the super-secret "moon" mode comes on.
Once it's in "moon" mode pressing the mode button will cycle -UP- to "medium" and then "Turbo".
Once you've hit "Turbo", the mode button then goes back to the normal start high and step down "turbo-high-med-low" cycle.

Also be aware that at some point you WILL hit both buttons at the same time and activate the lockout mode at which point you'll stand there saying "oh what is wrong with this thing". Simply press both buttons, or even easier, loosen and re-tighten the battery compartment.

I've read quite few reviews before buying d40a, at first i almost bought nitecore ea4. But moon mode and no reported problems with button was enough for me to buy d40a, and of course xm-l2 was nice to have for extra efficiency.

It's actually moon mode > low > turbo Can't get to med without cycling through turbo. But it's minor problem for me. I enjoy everything else quite a lot.

When i can free up some money for my hobbies, i think i'll get zebralight sc600 mkii. Learning li-ion cells seems worth it, at least from paper this light is almost perfect for my use. And to go along with it sc52 :) Sadly, won't be anytime soon. I'll read more about ui, but so far this about as good as it can get. And design also awesome, fits my taste really well.