My first LED lightbulb: Very Impressed!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a "FIRST Green e-watt saver LED bulb" for 13 bucks(with shipping its like 18) from boston robotics and I have to say I am quite impressed. It is a bit too expensive for me to get enough for my whole apartment, but it has a very nice tint and puts out a comparable amount of light as compared to other 60watt incandescents or 12-13 watt cfl's that I have. I also like how it seems much sturdier than a normal lightbulb with its solid metal base, not like something that will break right away. Of course the lower power usage, no mercury and less heat are all nice features as well. The bulbs use cree leds, although I don't know what kinda specifically. Lastly, their site says all proceeds go to supporting "hands-on science and technology education" which seems like an worthy cause.

If anyone is interested, I can try and do some photo comparisons.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The crummy picture on the box looks like the Utilitech 40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Soft White LED Light Bulb at Lowes.
Or the Zetalux 2 from EarthLED.

I think Lowes is clearing the 40-Watt Equivalent Utilitech and Home Depot is clearing the 40-Watt Equivalent Ecosmart as the 60 watt equivalent are coming out so you may be able to get them locally (minus the shipping).

slebans

Enlightened
The crummy picture on the box looks like the Utilitech 40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Soft White LED Light Bulb at Lowes.
Or the Zetalux 2 from EarthLED.

I think Lowes is clearing the 40-Watt Equivalent Utilitech and Home Depot is clearing the 40-Watt Equivalent Ecosmart as the 60 watt equivalent are coming out so you may be able to get them locally (minus the shipping).

Did you end up on this Web site?
http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/headlines/first-green-e-watt-saver

They state that LSG produced these bulbs for the fundraising effort. The page shows both a 40 watt(450 lumen) and a 60 watt(800 lumen) equivalent bulb(s).

Sometime next year we should see sub $20 US 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs from several major manufacturers.

Stephen Lebans

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I got one of the 450 lumen ones but it seems as bright as the 12watt cfl I had in there before.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you say so, the bulb I received looks nothing like that however. Either way, it's a nice bulb.

Here is a picture I found online of the bulb I purchased:

eb79f_LED_Light_firstgreen-led-light-bulb-review-photo-01.jpg

I think the one I bought may be a first generation bulb?

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the second gen ones good? If they are as I would assume better than the one I bought, I will definitely have to go to home depot and buy one of those 850 lumen ones.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own that version yet but I did try one out in a lamp on display in the lighting section and noted that it seemed to be designed for table lamp applications as it directs the light sideways and downward (when installed base-down).

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an odd design choice, good to know. Thanks!

I've really just started paying attention to led lightbulbs, I usually just follow flashlights, what are some other good bulbs currently available on the market?

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Three months ago I replaced the 50 watt halogen downlight above the Dining Table with four 4 watt 12 volt Warm LED downlights from KaiDomain.

Everyone's happy.

skyled

Newly Enlightened
haha those TESS LED bulbs are everywhere. aka Zetalux, aka FirstGreen.