My first SATA drive

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Samsung seek is also quiet. When I'm working it hard, like running a diagnostic, I can occasionally hear a little rumble. Otherwise I can't hear it at all.

The only quieter one I have is the Maxtor with the seek jerk adjusted for quiet. The Maxtors seem to have quality control problems though and some seem to run quite hot.

Actually I'm beginning to suspect the temperature that my drives report. My Samsung reports a lower temperature than my IR thermometer shows and my Maxtor reports a higher temperature.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadget_lover, I've not had any serious disk drive problems. From where I'm sitting, I can see six of them. I do run a drive diagnostic about once a month. These diagnostics seem pretty good about finding sick drives before they cause any trouble. I just run the SMART test and the quick test. The only drive that failed on me in the last ten years was caught this way before it did any damage.

I also watch the drive temperature. It seems there's not much I can do about it though and still have a quiet computer. I have one Maxtor that sometimes reports a temp of around 150 F, when formatting or checking, but I just make sure everything important on it is backed up. I'm not going to crank up the fan just for that bleepin' thing. And I'm not sure it's really that hot anyway.

Yes Raggie, Maxtor is good with the RMA exchange. I suspect they have lots of practice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i like ubcd its ultimate boot cd it has like every harddrive utilty on it .ya boot from the cd. it also has other features like memtest .it has so many cool apps to do everything ya could want on ya hardrive or pc.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never tried that one. For standalone hard drive testing I like the Seagate "desktop" one. They have a CD image available that you can use to create your own bootable CD. I happen to use Microsoft's memory tester that also can be booted from CD.

For routine hard drive testing I use the WD WinDlg version 1.0 because it runs under the OS. No booting required.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
here is link like an y file from net scan it but i never had a problem with it
http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
this is what it haves
Hard Disk Installation
MaxBlast 3 (Maxtor) 3.6
DiscWizard 2003 (Seagate) 10.45.06
Disk Manager (Seagate) 9.56a
Disk Manager (Samsung) 10
Hard Disk Diagnosis
Drive Fitness Test (IBM/Hitachi) 4.00
PowerMax (Maxtor/Quantum) 4.09
DLG Diagnostic (Western Digital) 4.15
DLG Diagnostic (Western Digital) 5.04c
Data Lifeguard (Western Digital) 11.0
SeaTools Desktop (Seagate) 1.06.02
SeaTools Desktop (Seagate) 3.00.07en
Diagnostic Tool (Fujitsu) 6.20
SHDIAG (Samsung) 1.25
HUTIL (Samsung) 1.19
GWSCAN (Gateway) 3.15
GWSCAN (Gateway) 5.09
Salvation HDD Scan and Repair 3.0
MHDD32 4.0
Ontrack Data Advisor Free Edition 5.0
Hard Disk Device Management
Feature Tool (IBM/Hitachi) 1.94
AMSET (Maxtor) 4.00
MAXLLF (Maxtor) 1.1
UATA100 (Seagate) 3.06
Ultra ATA Manager (Western Digital) June, 2003
SMARTUDM 2.00
ATA Password Tool 1.1
ATAINF 1.3m
Hard Disk Wiping
AutoClave 0.3
Active@ KillDisk Free Edition 3.1
Darik's Boot and Nuke 1.0.4
PC INSPECTOR e-maxx 0.95 Build 775
Hard Disk Cloning
HDClone (Free Edition) 2.0
g4u 1.17
PC INSPECTOR clone maxx 0.95 Build 769
XXCOPY 2.85.9
Hard Disk Sector Editor
Disk Editor 3.0
DISKMAN4 4.01
PTS DiskEditor 1.04
Partition Tools
Ranish Partition Manager 2.44
XFDISK (Extended FDISK) 0.9.3beta
SPFDISK (Special FDISK) 2000-03q
TestDisk 5.5
Partition Resizer 1.3.4
Partition Saving 2.91
Free FDISK 1.3.0
MBRtool 2.2.100
MBRWork 1.07b
FIPS 2.0
Active@ Partition Recovery 2.1.1
Boot Managers
Smart BootManager 3.7R1
Gujin 0.9
GAG 4.5d
XOSL 1.1.5
File Managers
DOS Navigator 4.9.0
File Maven 3.5a
NTFS Tools
Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
Note: The SCSI drivers are available on the CD in scsi/. Selecting "[a] autoprobe for the driver" on startup should do the trick. 041205
Active NTFS Reader for DOS 1.0.1
EditBINI 1.01.1
Boot Partition 2.50
System Burn-In Test
Lucifer 1.0
CPU Test
CPU Burn-in 1.00
Mersenne Prime Test 23.5.2
Memory Test
Memtest86 3.2
Memtest86+ 1.40
Windows Memory Diagnostic n/a
DocMem RAM Diagnostic 1.45a
DocMem RAM Diagnostic 2.1b
TestMem4 4
ctramtest 5.1
Peripherals Test
Parallel port detection and test utilities 1.45
ATAPI CDROM Identification 2.03
CPU Information
Intel Processor Frequency ID Utility 7.2.20041115
System Information
AIDA16 2.14
NSSI 0.58.6
PC-Config 9.33
ASTRA 4.21
PCISniffer 1.3
PCI
pcidevs.txt: 21 Nov 2004 0.49B
CTIA 2.1
Benchmark Applications
System Speed Test 32 4.78
3D Benchmark VGA 1.0
CPU Benchmark n/a
CD Index 1.1
BIOS Utilities
BIOS 1.35.1
UniFlash 1.38
WipeCMOS 1.2
CMOSPWD 4.4
!BIOS 3.20
DOS Boot Disks
FreeDOS Boot Disk 3.22
NwDsk: NetWare Boot Disk 3.22
Madboot Floppy 8.0
MSRRC: Bart's Network Boot Disk on FreeDOS 3.22
Antivirus Tools
F-Prot Antivirus for DOS (Personal use only)
Virus definition: 16 Jan 2005 3.16a
McAfee Antivirus Scanner
Virus definition: 12 Jan 2005 4.32.0
Avast! V7.7 for DOS
Virus definition: 18 Jan 2005 7.7
AntiVir Personal Edition
Virus definition: 18 Jan 2005 6.29.0.5
Network Tools
Freesco 0.3.2
Arachne WWW Browser 1.79
QNX Demo Browser (network and modem version) 4.00
NetCopy 0.2
DOSRDP

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of stuff there. It does seem to have the two diagnostics I use. Seagate "desktop" diag, and Microsoft's memory tester.

It has some stuff I wouldn't use. Like the stuff that tinkers with the partitions.

I don't know about the others.

Have you tried BartPE yet? It's not a replacement for this, but it's kind of interesting. You can actually run XP from a CD. No hard drive required, but if it's there, it can use it. It's a stripped down version for testing, pre-installing etc. The worst thing about it is it takes me 10 minutes or so to boot from the CD.

Leeoniya

Enlightened
BartPE ROCKS!

once you start adding programs you'll never stop!!! arg!!.

if you're trying to build your own plugin, have a lot of spare CDs around, cause it's rare that you dont miss something critical to the operation of a proggie.

but once you get it it's pure bliss. i run all my diagnostics off of bartpe.

external virus scans, hardware diagnostics, partition magic, reghosting drives, raw disk editing and file recovery, adware removal, you can also use ERD commander plugin to connect to the registry of the PC u're using.

if you're building the CD, take a look at Sherpya's BuildScripts utility. it precaches hardware plug and play IDs and makes the boot time about 3 to 4 times faster.

i also make a lot of slipstreamed and unattended windows XP install disks. very handy.

I've been meaning to try to get BartPE to work natively with my raid array, it's turning out to be tricky. but i havent done so in some time.

Leon

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I First want to Thank Leeoniya for Putting up his test results. He'z inspired me to check on my HDD's too ...

I never had a chance to check my HD Ratings (actually never bothered, used to think as long as it is Seagate, it will do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) However... It was a Pleasent Surprise to know that SATA is Commanding Fast... over previous HDD's.... Here are the results from the HDTach Test.

My Older (about 6 years old) Desktop Machine PIII 500, 1 GB RAM(100/133 MHz),
Intel MoBo (SR440 BX) 100/133 MHz Bus Speed (i guess)
2 HDD's ... 20 GB (ATA) (System Drive) & 40 GB (ATA) (Data Drive), Both Seagate
P3Machine.gif

My Newer (about 2 years old) Desktop Machine PIV 2.4 HT, 2 GB RAM(DDR, Synchronous),
Intel MoBo (D865GBF) 800 MHz Bus Speed,
2 HDD's .... 40 GB (ATA) Samsung (System Drive) & 80 GB (SATA) Seagate (Data Drive)
P4Machine.gif

As Apperent, SATA Rocks... as compared with older ATA/IDE/EIDE Technology

Also, interestingly, Older HDD's perform Better at Ending Segments or have more Uniform Data Read Speeds...
Ahh... well, Newer Machine... seems just like a runtime plot of a Typical Non Regulated Light.. or shall I say Nuwai Light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hard Disk's are Reliable, But I Never Rely completely on them.... It's always a good Idea to have DVD's (or CD's) Burned for your important data & that too regularly. A Few Months ago I have shifted to Burning DVD's ... DVD Burning now is cheap & economical... i paid $100 for the Sony, Double Layer 16X DVD Burner and get DVD R @ $0.5 per DVD 4.7 GB Media /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gessner17

Enlightened
Just give it up and buy some 15k RPM U320 enterprise drives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've got the UBCD. It came as a coverdisk on a computer magazine. It's been pretty useful so far, and I've barely scratched the surface with it.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
SATA does not rock when you can't use it for the application you need it for..

Otherwise it's ok. I appreciate the cabling advantages.

I have two SATA drives, that I occasionally wish were parallel (traditional) ATA100 or PATA for short. The reason is that I want to move one to an external Firewire/USB2 case so I can use it with both my Win2K box* and my Mac. Problem is, the external 3.5" housings only have ATA100 ports on the inside. If anybody has a source for good cheap housings that have SATA inside, that would be very nice.

* I must be the only person here who prefers Win2K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL, I too have been keeping my eyes out for a good external case with firewire/usb2 to SATA internally. So far I haven't found anything that meets both the requirements for "good" and "cheap" at the same time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There are several really good RAID enclosures that do that, like

http://www.cooldrives.com/miulra800dud.html

and

http://www.cooldrives.com/fi800duretrs.html

but neither fits into the cheap category at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
* I must be the only person here who prefers Win2K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you're not the only one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

reefphilic

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you're not the only one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm another one! But I couldn't configure it to give access to WLAN for normal user or even power user. Have to log in as admin to surf the net. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif