My Fun, Fun Day! :-/

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
if your going to upgrade your operating system just get windows xp. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would NOT recommend XP for anyone who is dependent upon running legacy hardware. Much of it is not supported under XP and it's up to the hardware manufacturers to provide XP drivers. I set up a dual boot 98/XP system for that purpose but that's a pain in the butt.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
I would NOT recommend XP for anyone who is dependent upon running legacy hardware<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then I definitely don't want XP. I've got some stuff in this sytem that still has 1980s ICs in it. Ever seen a Z80A or a 6502 in the big 40-pin DIP package? I've got those things on my mouse board and in my keyboard.
roll2.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
By far, win 98 is the most compatible with older hardware - stick with that unless you have a new computer.

If you have anything about 2 yrs old or less, and can swing the cost, get Windows 2000 - the "NT version" of Win 98. Very stable, but not as compatible as Win 98 - make sure you have at least the drivers for your modem downloaded so you can get on the net and get the rest... you'll need specific win2k drivers for all the hardware...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Then I definitely don't want XP. I've got some stuff in this sytem that still has 1980s ICs in it. Ever seen a Z80A or a 6502 in the big 40-pin DIP package? I've got those things on my mouse board and in my keyboard.
roll2.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I programmed a Z80 in college in my micro class. Surely if you bought a new computer, you'd want a modern mouse (good ones are cheap) instead of a dedicated board wasting IRQ and other resources? Besides if you were to get a new motherboard for a modern processor, most of them have eliminated the ISA slot now.

DonL

Enlightened
Craig, sorry to hear about your day.

I'm the same way on mornings that I miss the start of the European F1 races on the live feed on Speedvision. (Speedchannel, bah!)

Mine was somewhat similar as I struggled to install a new sub box in my car, and had to try to figure out WTH the previous owner did to all the wiring.
tongue.gif

Personally, I've learned not to allow a day like that to go beyond dinner time, at which I open a few beers and pretend that the day didn't happen at all.

Of course, we're upgrading our computer this weekend, so if I don't get to the forums until Monday you'll know what happened. Plus, I may be hung-over...
tongue.gif

[email protected]

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DonL:

I'm the same way on mornings that I miss the start of the European F1 races on the live feed on Speedvision.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you know what we are going trough trying to follow Nascar or Cart races....

wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
If you have anything about 2 yrs old or less, and can swing the cost, get Windows 2000 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we can throw this out the Window (pun intended). Many of the components in my computer are 10-15 years old. Only the mainboard, one of the hard drives, and the monitor are newer, and I'm pretty sure Socket-7 architecture has been around for more than two years.
tongue.gif

I'm still having some occasional system stability and memory corruption issues, but nothing a once or twice daily reboot won't fix. Windows 95 was no better or no worse in this regard, and I often get enough warning to save what I was working on before the thing blue-screens and needs to be button-reset.
smile.gif
It only pisses me off when it bombs for no apparent reason and with no apparent provocation in the middle of typing a long email.
frown.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I guess I should start a new topic called "THIS SUCKS!!! but I guess this thread will have to do...

A few days ago I finally got Win 98 put in. And that seems to be the least of my computer problems now.
Here's what's going on...

1: At apparently random invervals, I get the famous "blue screen of death".

2: If I lose my connection while online, attempts to re-dial it have a 50 50 chance of failing. When failing, the systems says "Dial up networking is not installed". When not failing, it seems to work correctly. A button-reset is then required.

3: Plugging something into the USB port results in a blue-screen error, but this is sometimes recoverable - but only once. Plugging in the victimized device again results in a "hour glass" cursor, a frozen CPU, and a forced button reset.

4: Dropping to DOS and then typing "exit" results in the desktop not loading its icons about half the time, and being forced to button-reset.

5: When I haear the "new mail" sound, checking the mailbox sometimes results in a total hosedown of the system, wth each open app crashing with an "invalid page fault" error.; Sometimes this happens right after a resetk while other times it happens after working continuously and error free fore more than aday.

This just makes me want to revert back to the much more stable Window 95, except that I'll be stuck with not being able to transfer picures except one0-by-one off floppy... and thats siml too damn slow. :0

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, it could be so many things but even though it's microsoft and windows it shouldn't be THAT unstable. As mentioned, I had problems with my SIS motherboard. When I worked at the shop, we also had compatibility problems with AMD K6 CPUs (Athlons are much better in this regard). Maybe the two together are a lethal combination.

If you get a lot of invalid page type failures, it's possible you could have a bad memory simm. You could swap those around if you have extra's or have enough installed so you can take them out two at a time. We once had a similar problem and it ended up being a bad cache simm. Power supplies on their way out that don't die but start putting out intermittent below nominal voltages could cause this as well.

I'm sure you probably know all of this but one thing I would recommend is what I said earlier, to go to the SIS home page and see if they've released driver's specifically for your chipset. I was getting "vcache" errors quite a lot with my via motherboard and when I loaded the via vgart drivers, the problems completely disappeared at once.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Craig.

Well you know what they say ”If you want to mess something up you can, but if you REALLY want to mess something up, you need a computer”
wink.gif

There has been many a time I’ve felt like leaping on my computer whilst screaming “you bas#t%rd”
mad.gif

Oh well I hope you sort it out, I know this does not help much but sometimes when I’m giving myself a fever because of my computer I find the best thing is to just leave it well alone for a while and come back to it later otherwise I just find myself paddling down the river of insanity and it goes from bad to worse to the surreal (sleep deprivation).
I noticed you said you were running around your apartment slamming flashlights. Wow even with all these problems with your computer and you’re still finding time for the Punishment Zone!! (now that’s dedication!)
Let us know the results.
wink.gif

Sorry, that’s all you need now, some smarty pants trying to be funny!
Good luck.
smile.gif