My HID upgrade is not going well

reader2580

Newly Enlightened
I bought some Hella bi-Xenon 90mm headlamp modules from Daniel Stern recently. The process of getting them installed in my converted coach bus has not been fun.

I pulled out the old headlight buckets and I am fashioning a flat piece of aluminum composite material to hold the 90mm modules in place. The bad part is I got one side done and when I went to install the panel I realized I measured wrong for the hole for the 90mm module and it isn't centered top to bottom. Now I have to spend another three hours building a new panel. Luckily, I have lots of scrap material from another project that I am using.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Argh. "Measure twice, cut once" has whacked me on the backside more times than I can count over the years, and if it never happens again I'll be dead before tomorrow. Very frustrating! The end result should be worth the aggravation, though.

reader2580

Newly Enlightened
It wasn't really that I measured wrong. The problem is I have an access panel at the front of the bus that flips up and closes around the headlights. I had the access panel open when I measured, but I didn't realize that when closed the opening is slightly smaller than when open. The headlight not being centered up and down with the access panel closed doesn't look the best.

There isn't a way to attach photos here or I would take some pictures of the project.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't a way to attach photos here or I would take some pictures of the project.
You don't *attach* them. You put them on a photo hosting site, or a website you own, and then use the IMG tags:

[img]http://www.colonslash.org/special/carrepair.jpg[/img]

Note: I used NOPARSE tags to show the syntax more clearly.

Done correctly, the example above shows:
carrepair.jpg

Franco

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about the setbacks, but it sounds like it'll just be a matter of time before you get the lights working. I don't think that I'm the only one looking forward to your report on these. It's surprising that owners, manufacturing and operating companies don't outfit their busses with really good lights more often. Good on you for biting the bullet, and I hope they'll create a better, safer driving environment for you.

reader2580

Newly Enlightened
You don't *attach* them. You put them on a photo hosting site, or a website you own, and then use the IMG tags:
I certainly understand how it works. It is just so much easier when one can simply click the attach button. Personally, I don't have an account with any photo hosting service at this time.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is just so much easier when one can simply click the attach button.

Advantages of attaching: Broken image links are much rarer. Disadvantages: Forum needs more storage and bandwidth.

Take the pictures anyway-- if you ever decide you want to get such an account and post them up, you'll have them. Also will be a good reference if you need to modify the setup or something.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I certainly understand how it works. It is just so much easier when one can simply click the attach button. Personally, I don't have an account with any photo hosting service at this time.

photobucket is free...

Too bad the bus didn't have 7" round headlights from the factory. Hella makes a bezel for their 90mm for that. Or maybe SMS makes it.
What kind of bus is it? We can google a picture.

reader2580

Newly Enlightened
photobucket is free...

Too bad the bus didn't have 7" round headlights from the factory. Hella makes a bezel for their 90mm for that. Or maybe SMS makes it.
What kind of bus is it? We can google a picture.

If I had 7" round headlights I would probably just drop a set of LED headlights in and be done with it. SMS has the 7" lights with the 90mm bi-Xenon module made for them. There was just a significant price jump by Hella on the 90mm Bi-Xenon modules (20%+) so the SMS headlights don't seem as expensive. Daniel Stern said I got my order in just in time to miss the price increase. I would not have even done the project at the new prices since it be would another $200 on top of an already expensive project.

The bus is a Dina Viaggio 1000. Round headlights were considered dated at the the time my bus was built. Round headlights are back in on a lot of new buses today, but they are 90mm modules now.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The bus is a Dina Viaggio 1000. Round headlights were considered dated at the the time my bus was built. Round headlights are back in on a lot of new buses today

Funny how style fashions come and go whether it's clothes or headlamps. I was recently pointed at a photo of a brochure for a conversion kit that was apparently available in the past to "update" Cadillacs made in the round-headlamp era to rectangular sealed beams instead. Puttin' on the Ritz!

Hilldweller

Enlightened
If I had 7" round headlights I would probably just drop a set of LED headlights in and be done with it. SMS has the 7" lights with the 90mm bi-Xenon module made for them. There was just a significant price jump by Hella on the 90mm Bi-Xenon modules (20%+) so the SMS headlights don't seem as expensive. Daniel Stern said I got my order in just in time to miss the price increase. I would not have even done the project at the new prices since it be would another $200 on top of an already expensive project.

The bus is a Dina Viaggio 1000. Round headlights were considered dated at the the time my bus was built. Round headlights are back in on a lot of new buses today, but they are 90mm modules now.
Like this?
...it's huge....
dina-viaggio-08.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I understand the rectangular headlamps on that series of Wrangler were very unpopular among Jeep enthusiasts; there were "real Jeeps have round headlamps" campaigns and T-shirts, etc. (I guess this means Cherokees and Grand Cherokees aren't real Jeeps?). It might be apocryphal, but I understand the rectangular lamps on those Wranglers were at the insistence of a French Chrysler executive (Francois Castang), which would make sense; rectangular headlamps were a big thing with the French industry starting in the early 1960s.

reader2580

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting close to having the new panels ready to go so I can get them installed into my bus conversion. I haven't had time to finish them due to other obligations. I need to find my tub of wire to see if I have any 14 gauge marine wire remaining to wire up the lights, or if I have to order some more. I only use marine wire because it is fully tinned so I don't get corrosion for several feet up the wire like with non tinned wire.