My Icarus built TriLuxV Red Dragon.....

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the buzz in my beamshot thread about the Red Dragon, I figured I would start a thread with details and some more photos of this amazing one-of-a-kind masterpiece.

dragon_2.jpg

Here are the specs:

> Built on a custom tri-bored Mag 1.5D body by Fivemega.
> "Fluted" head by Mac. AR-coated Ultra Clear Lens (UCL).
> 3 perfectly aligned McR20 reflectors provide ideal throw and spill.
> Matched Luxeon WX0S Stars set on a solid copper PTS heatsink.
> Fully-regulated HV-NFlex driver offering 5-level brightness adjustment in four current tables. Dead flat regulation on all levels. Many other user programmable options(switch lock-out, force mode, etc...)
> Electronics housed in custom Icarus-built Delrin cage.
> Driven by 6xRCR123 batteries in drop-in Fivemega carrier.
> Actual (measured) output current on 1A table: 40mA, 150mA, 290mA, 500mA, 980mA

I keep an SC2 spares carrier loaded with 6 extra RCR123's with the Dragon at all times. Rough estimate of lumens according to my light meter are as follows:

Level 1: 20 lumens for ~20hrs
Level 2: 100 lumens for ~5hrs.
Level 3: 200 lumens ~2.5hrs.
Level 4: 300 lumens ~1.5hrs.
Level 5: 500 lumens ~45min.

The light has excellent heatsinking, as it runs on high comfortably for it's whole run cycle without getting too hot. Everything about this light is shear perfection. Months upon months went into designing and then building this light, and no corners were cut anywhere...nothing but the best went into this light, and it shows. Here are some more photos:

dragon_1.jpg

Here is a shot showing the custom bored body:
dragon_4.jpg

A shot with the battery-pack removed, and my Dragon specific SC2(PD in for size reference):
dragon_5.jpg

Close-up of custom battery-pack:
dragon_6.jpg

dragon_7.jpg

You can see real-world beamshots of this light in action in my other thread here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/153721 Now for the "white-wall hunters", I have a close up beamshot on high compared with my only other LuxV light; my Surefire L5 on 2xRCR123's

The match-up:
dragonL5_1.jpg

Poor L5 never stood a chance
yellowlaugh.gif

dragonL5_2.jpg

In the above photo, it makes my L5 appear green, in which it really isn't. I purchased my L5 locally, and had a few to pick from. This one had the best tint of them all, and measures out to be ~150 lumens on 2xRCR123's. It's just the Red Dragon has such nice emmiters, it makes the L5 look likes it's B###H. Hope you all enjoy, any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Very nice especially those incredible beamshots on your other thread. It almost qualifies as a weapon!!:drool: BTW, how much? I guess if I have to ask..... well you know the rest...:grin2:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
BMRSEB said:
Very nice especially those incredible beamshots on your other thread. It almost qualifies as a weapon!!:drool: BTW, how much? I guess if I have to ask..... well you know the rest...:grin2:

If I told you how much I paid for that light, I would have to kill you :lolsign: Actually, Regentag was nice enough to pass it on to me for what he had invested into it...$430. Thanks again Regentag :) Best $430 I have ever spent. If I lost this thing and had to replace it, I would easily pay more than $430 to get it back :grin2:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a nice light Strauss:clap:

I guess, after that you'll need a QuadluxIII-light for much more throw:grin2:

Very best regards

_____
Tom

criollo

Enlightened
I have a Red Mag 2.5D and i'm loving it. The Tri-Lux V has the same specs except that the battery configuration is 6 x 17670. The output is as what you've described and only one word.........."AWESOME" !!!

Icarus is a Perfectionist !!!

SIR Icarus :rock:

Cassian :)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey man, I got one of those 4Ds and its dying to be given a new lease of life. When I saw the beamshot comparison between the red dragon and the SF L5, I was surprised at the tint the red dragon produced. $430 cost of a torchlight of this caliber is very reasonable. To whom shall I get in touch?

Thank you for sharing you beautiful lite with us

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
jumpstat said:
Hey man, I got one of those 4Ds and its dying to be given a new lease of life. When I saw the beamshot comparison between the red dragon and the SF L5, I was surprised at the tint the red dragon produced. $430 cost of a torchlight of this caliber is very reasonable. To whom shall I get in touch?

Thank you for sharing you beautiful lite with us

I would try contacting member Icarus. He is the man :bow:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have called this thread "Beauty and the Beast"... :naughty: ... :nana:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOD131finishedligthpic1a900x.jpg

One more picture of the Red Dragon... :wave:

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pic contribution Icarus :rock: Yours are much nicer than mine :) Just wanted to personally thank you again for building such a masterpiece, it is my most prized piece in my entire collection. And I use the living s##t out of it!

Is that QuadLuxIII getting dusty on me? I haven't forgot about you on that one. Will that out-throw the Dragon by much?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Icurus,

Youre designs are one of a kind. Excellent Job. How long does it take to order one from you?

Thanks.