My monitor died, I need a cap suggestion

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night my monitor died, well, smoke rolled out the top. It was white and not very pungent, like when ICs pop. upon opening it up, it looked pretty clean. The only part I found that looked out of the ordinary was an electrolytic cap that was 'puffed' out at the top. The cross scores wern't broken, but all else looked normal, and no burning. The cap in question was 22u at 250v. This leads me to believe that it was part of the switching power supply. I have found two possible replacements. One is a 82u 400v cap from an old laptop PS, and the other would be 2 10u 250v caps in parallel (from a CCFL base). Now the 2 10u together would be closer to the original value, but the 82u 400v is beefier. Since it looks to be just a filter cap, what would you suggest.

Jeff

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can take the monitor to any monitor repair depot to get a replacement cap. It is just power transformer. I had same problem. It might cost you about $100buck to replace if you have high quality monitor. I have the 19' Mitsubishi diamond Pro 900U which was high end model 6yrs ago. It still running just fine like a honda accord.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You can try the cap but most likely something else blew also leading to it frying.
Unless the monitor is a high end model I would look around for a used one as people are starting to sell nice monitors and replace them with LCD ones.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like an old emc.
i use a 33@250 and the diode next to it is likely shorted and sometimes the mosfet on the heatsink.
this is in a smps for the h-out stage.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would someone say to take it to a repair center when you just asked about a capacitor?

Without being able to see yours I'd say go with the closest uF rating you can get as long as the voltage rating is the same or better since I don't know if its just a filter or part of the HV switching circuit.