"My" Most "Fun" Light!

ven

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
One light of mine that gives me the most satisfaction is my Surefire Z2, the reason is because it is the one that I have modified myself the most.

I initially fitted a Surefire Z59 tailcap switch, which has picked up a few dings over the years so I'm on the look out for a new one.

I then bored it using the 'sandpaper on drill bit' method so it would accept a 18650 battery.

I then built my own drop-in for it using a Cree XM-L2 U2 LED on a copper PCB, so it now has up to 1000 lumens.

Having dropped it over the years the head was dented so I sourced a new one and have now fitted it with a Xeno RG03 Black Bezel.

If I ever want to go back to CR123's I have an Olight battery magazine that stops the rattles.

Given the availability of P60 drop-in's then this light should be able to stay in service for many years to come.

I have put more time and effort into this light than any other I own and it feels right in the hand!

Picture%20439_zpspkwpjpcd.jpg

I want to grab that Z2 out of my screen............very nice classic that will never grow old imo, will have to get one at some point(missed out on one months back here in the UK thinking about it).

Dave D

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to grab that Z2 out of my screen............very nice classic that will never grow old imo, will have to get one at some point(missed out on one months back here in the UK thinking about it).

Two sold on eBay (UK) recently in very good condition for £25 each.

scout24

scout24

Staff member
The light that's most fun to me is the Surefire M6. Load that sucker with six (!) high energy primary cells, pop in an MN21, twist that tailcap, stand back, and you can still hear the oohs and aahs from back when it first came out. Nothing from the factory back then pushed the limits like the M6. Yes, I've got brighter lights. We probably all do. We all have more efficient lights. (I keep one loaded with an MN15, and two 18650's for when I want runtime.) It's like firing up a dragster from the 1970's. Today's stuff may eclipse it in many ways, but when you're using it, you know it's a serious tool... :thumbsup:

Wendee

Wendee

Enlightened
My most fun light is my Olight S1. I love the size, weight and feel. The S1 is my fondle light. Honestly, it doesn't have the greatest tint nor highest output...but I just love the feel of it. I think I spend a lot more time holding, feeling and tossing this light in my hand than I actually use it. It's my usual pocket EDC..and during my long morning commute, more than enough times I'll pull it out and just hold it when the traffic slows to the stop and go.

I was going to post about my Lumintop Copper Tool for the very same reasons! I just love this little light but I can't really explain why I like it so much. I just do. I consider it more 'fun' to carry than any other light I have. I'm constantly taking it out just to look at it or hold it and if I have my hand in my pocket, guaranteed that I'm holding the light. I love getting my little "flashlight fixes" during the day too. I'll just take it out and shine it at something, just for the fun of it! If I could only keep one of my lights, I'd have to give it up for one of my 18650 lights (obviously) but on a daily basis, I have much more fun with the Copper Tool than any other light. Like you, sometimes I'll take it out while in the car (also while standing in a lineup, or shopping, or in a waiting room, where ever). I love to look at it and hold it (it's so pretty!). I thought I was the only person who did that. :)

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The light that's most fun to me is the Surefire M6. Load that sucker with six (!) high energy primary cells, pop in an MN21, twist that tailcap, stand back, and you can still hear the oohs and aahs from back when it first came out. Nothing from the factory back then pushed the limits like the M6. Yes, I've got brighter lights. We probably all do. We all have more efficient lights. (I keep one loaded with an MN15, and two 18650's for when I want runtime.) It's like firing up a dragster from the 1970's. Today's stuff may eclipse it in many ways, but when you're using it, you know it's a serious tool... :thumbsup:

Old school baby. I think it's the knowing just how awesome the light was compared to the typical stuff of the time.
I think that's why when I see 1000 lumens from an old 2C then taking 2 seconds for the bulb to stop glowing...
or in your case like the M6 with a full tank...

In todays terms it would be like comparing anything by Nitecore or Fenix to the Bat Light

Each time I play with my vintage lights then pull out a 6P I just smile and think "man-oh-man this thing really changed things"

T

tops2

Enlightened
I was going to post about my Lumintop Copper Tool for the very same reasons! I just love this little light but I can't really explain why I like it so much. I just do. I consider it more 'fun' to carry than any other light I have. I'm constantly taking it out just to look at it or hold it and if I have my hand in my pocket, guaranteed that I'm holding the light. I love getting my little "flashlight fixes" during the day too. I'll just take it out and shine it at something, just for the fun of it! If I could only keep one of my lights, I'd have to give it up for one of my 18650 lights (obviously) but on a daily basis, I have much more fun with the Copper Tool than any other light. Like you, sometimes I'll take it out while in the car (also while standing in a lineup, or shopping, or in a waiting room, where ever). I love to look at it and hold it (it's so pretty!). I thought I was the only person who did that. :)

I gifted a BLF 348 to my coworker's husband (mild flashaholic) and that quickly became his fondle light from what my coworker told me. Apparently he also takes it out randomly too.

Minimoog

Minimoog

Enlightened
For me it is the Rev Victor Enthusiast. The way it just throws and throws and lights up things on the fringe of visibility - like over a mile away - is just so much fun. Of course it gets used for more useful things like lighting up cable entries in narrow spaces but sending out a jet of pure photons makes me feel all giddy and its beyond anything I ever had years ago.

Bdm82

Bdm82

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
For me it is the Rev Victor Enthusiast. The way it just throws and throws and lights up things on the fringe of visibility - like over a mile away - is just so much fun. Of course it gets used for more useful things like lighting up cable entries in narrow spaces but sending out a jet of pure photons makes me feel all giddy and its beyond anything I ever had years ago.
Similar thought process for me but at lower dollar... Olight M3xs-UT. I have more powerful lights, both in throw and lumens. But there's something that just feels good about the light in hand, being a skinny tube running on only 2 18650s. And because, as my friends declared, "it's an f'in light saber."

The pencil beam is less useful in general use, but the lack of spill actually makes it seem MORE impressive. Like.... "Who is lighting up that house over a half mile away? Oh yeah, me!" You just don't get that effect with lights like the T6 due to more spill.

So, that's my most fun light.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Seems like consensus so far has been mega throwers are the thrillers for most.

I must admit I like the combo beam for general usefulness, but whenever I shed useful light on something beyond my eyes ability to make out details...
There is just something special about that. I suppose that is why those D size Maglites are still so popular. The masses like throw as much as us junkies I suppose.

tech25

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not easy but my most "fun" light is my stock surefire e2e. The shape and size are perfectly comfortable for my hand and the incandescent beam just makes me smile.

Bykfixer- my thrower (malkoff 3D drop in) didn't make the cut, living in the city doesn't do it justice.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
This is not easy but my most "fun" light is my stock surefire e2e. The shape and size are perfectly comfortable for my hand and the incandescent beam just makes me smile.

Bykfixer- my thrower (malkoff 3D drop in) didn't make the cut, living in the city doesn't do it justice.

Agreed, all those "free" lumens from nearby shopping centers make some of my favorites seem not--so-good...including my Malkoff'd Maglite.

steinsdl

steinsdl

Newly Enlightened

Nice! I want one.

ven

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I grabbed one tonight! U.K. As well, now the hardest part.....leave incan for a change(find limited though for my uses, although nastalgic). So what p60 to go in it.....:crazy:

Then where and what to use it for......don't need it but it is one of the remaining few surefire lights I want. So far a quad 5000k or triple nichia are the top contenders .........then again I can swap the malkoff from the 6p and use the other.....see what I mean, tough choices here! Would like an oveready nichia mule to get slapped in it as well......

E

Elf15

Newly Enlightened
My "fun" light is an Eton Road Torq. I have three - one for each vehicle and one for the travel trailer.

The spaceship shape and hand crank is fascinating to the pre-k crowd, too.

S

snowman3

Newly Enlightened
And finally the early 1aa lights I refer to as jewel thief lights that put out around 1 candlepower. I enjoy the firefly dim aspect at 2am while wandering about my darkened household for whatever reason.

Is there a brand or name for the 2 on the left? silver body w/ red head?
I remember those from my grandparents!! Loved those little guys but haven't seen one in decades.
Would be cool to track one down.

N

Nystagmus

Newly Enlightened
This one has been a workhorse for me. I just love the way it feels.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Is there a brand or name for the 2 on the left? silver body w/ red head?
I remember those from my grandparents!! Loved those little guys but haven't seen one in decades.
Would be cool to track one down.

Eveready Little Jim and little Commander.

eBay is where I found those but Etsy is also a good source.

CelticCross74

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most fun?-2016 TK32. Its bright as heck, throws very well and the secondary red and blue LED's are the brightest I have seen on a stock light.