My new Peak El Capitan- a minor issue?

Rob Babcock

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I got my new Peak El Capitan a couple days ago!
thumbsup.gif
Overall it's a great light; super well made and quite solid. My only issue is the output. I bought the high CRI version knowing full well it would crank out only half the lumens of the cool white model. The output was a bit underwhelming but all I had on hand was regular 1.5v lithium AA cells. I wasn't going to get too worked up until I got my 3.6v lithium 14505 batteries to try. My understanding was that the output should be substantially better with twice the voltage (as the light is supposed to work with 14500 batteries). However I got my new batteries and switching back and forth the difference is subtle, perhaps nonexistent. I'll note that I only have one Peak light, I can't compare the two kinds of cell side by side- there's ten seconds or so while I switch them.

So I ask the CPF fellowship; is that normal? Are my 14505 cells suspect or did I set myself up with unrealistic expectations? For the record I still love the light! The tint is fantastic, somewhere between my Malkoff M61WL and my M61L 219b. Probably I should have went with the Neutral White instead of the High CRI so get a smidge more output while keeping a nice tint. Still, the light is great. Just a little disappointed with the output. And a secondary question- if there's not much difference would you go with a regular lithium AA over the 14505? IIRC the lithium AA is 3,000 mAh vs the 2000 mAh of the 14505.

Last edited:

BriteLite2

Enlightened
I don't have 14500 cells so I cant comment on that aspect. But I will say I made the mistake of getting a warm mule head and it was also underwhelming to say the least. I love warm tint and it was a beautiful warm tint but output cant be 1/2 of a cool or neutral.

Rob Babcock

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Thanks. I knew it would be dim compared to the other emitters, my issue is more than I thought using a battery that supplied 3v instead of 1.5v would give me a bit of a bump in output. If it does it's pretty subtle.

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
OK, there's a lot of confusing info in the OP. Not trying to be critical here, but please clarify the exact type of batteries you are using, since there are multiple types of 14505 cells ... all with different chemistries and voltages.

Are your "14505" rechargeable, or non-rechargeable?

Are they "lithium" (primary) or "lithium-ion" ?

If lithium-ion, and rechargeable, are they IFR (iron) , IMR (manganese) , or ICR (cobalt) chemistry?

Your voltage could be anywhere from 3.0V to 4.2V, depending on the answers.

You will get maximum safe output from this Peak with a 14500 ICR (4.2V max, 3.7V nominal) battery. IMR might be brighter, but is not recommended by Peak.

Almost any (common) "14505" will give you less, perhaps much less (such as a 3.0V CRAA lithium primary) .

It may still be somewhat more than a 1.5V AA, but don't forget that light output must be anywhere from 4x - 10x higher to visually appear "twice as bright" .

In other words, if output hypothetically doubled from 1.5V to 3.0V (just to make the math easy) , you might "perceive" it as maybe only 10% - 40% brighter.

And, of course, the warmer and/or higher CRI emitters are indeed significantly less efficient, with lower maximum output.

Last edited:

iacchus

Enlightened
Can i ask a quick question while we are talking ElCapitans?
Do they fit protected AW 14500 cells stock now, or do you still have to request a short negative pole?

I found a few of those cells, and don't have anything to stick them in. Was thinking a Peak light needs to be in the stable. Hate to see the batteries just sitting there all lonely without a job.

Rob Babcock

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I don't have any rechargeables at all save a few Eneloops so I can't say if a protected cell will fit. I have never heard of a rechargeable 14505, didn't know such a thing existed. I am using 3.6v lithium primary 14505 cells. But I may have answered my own question- looks like I accidentally ordered LISOCL2 cells more appropriate to lower drain devices. I didn't read the fine print well enough!:ohgeez:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I am using 3.6v lithium primary 14505 cells. But I may have answered my own question- looks like I accidentally ordered LISOCL2 cells more appropriate to lower drain devices. I didn't read the fine print well enough!:ohgeez:

Well, you should try a low lumen runtime test with that cell, it'll give small 18650s some competition. You want this blue cell from Titanium Innovations, for a 3V Lithium Manganese CR123 equivalent from Battery Junction.
19017813140_92be2cde34_b.jpg

Rob Babcock

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Well, you should try a low lumen runtime test with that cell, it'll give small 18650s some competition. You want this blue cell from Titanium Innovations, for a 3V Lithium Manganese CR123 equivalent from Battery Junction.
19017813140_92be2cde34_b.jpg

That's what I thought I was buying, just didn't read the description carefully enough.:ohgeez::eek:

Rob Babcock

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Oh snap! :twothumbs Just a quick update; I got another load of goodies from BatteryJunction today and in the box was my 3v 14505 cells from Titanium Innovations. THIS is what I mistakenly thought I had ordered from Amazon only to get a different kind of cell. These are the real deal. Now my El Capitan is cranking out some serious lumens compared to a regular battery. I'm not sure what kind of runtime I'll get but the output is vastly improved. The Peak site states that this battery is within the acceptable voltage so it should be all good.

Subjectively it's not too far away from the brightness of my Malkoff M61 WL. And I think it's a bit warmer/rosier than the Malkoff.