My New U2 Died

Tom_K

Newly Enlightened
I bought a U2 about a month ago. Fantastic light but I was using it yesterday and it just stopped working and now I can't get it to switch back on. I tried different batteries (didn't change anything) and I can hear something rattling around in the head of the light. I think maybe a capacitor has blown or something. The light was only on for a few minutes at the max and it wasn't knocked around. I've sent an email to Surefire to arrange to have the light returned and repaired. Has anyone had anything like this happen to their U2?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Man, yet another Surefire crapping out. I have heard alot of this latley. Luckily, they will replace it, though it may take months... :awman:

i am truly sorry for your loss...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Tom_K said:
I can hear something rattling around in the head of the light

Are you sure it's not the clicky tailcap? They rattle while on the "on" position.

Something else you might try is to lift the little metal tabs inside the tailcap (around the spring); that was my problem and it seems it's a somewhat common occurrence.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm with PSM on this and that's too bad Tom_K.

News of this nature and the like for the uninitiated regarding the purchase of SureFire's U2, well, that's something to bear in mind. All the more reason—. . .

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Tom_K said:
I've sent an email to Surefire to arrange to have the light returned and repaired.

For as much as those things cost, I would push hard for an advance exchange. That's a bummer, let us know how it works out.

Dave

greenLED

Flashaholic
Among many other things, we are troubleshooters here at CPF. Take a look at JasonC8301's post; he fixed his U2 and posted pics on how he did it. Unless there's a problem with the circuitry (which I have NOT heard about so far), it's most likely a tailcap problem. JasonC8301's post has pics and guidance on how to fix the 2 problems that can arise: a jammed clicky mechanism (lack of lubrication), or contact problems (need to raise metal tabs inside tailcap). Neither of those are hard to fix.

I'm not defending SF; for the price we pay for one of these lights, they shouldn't fail. However, there's lots of knowledge in CPF and I feel we're wasting it by repeatedly bringing up the same problems and not taking advantage of previous know-how we have. Raising the metal tabs in the tailcap takes less than 3 minutes; lubing the clicking mechanism may take 30 minutes. If else fails, SF will take care of your broken U2.

Good luck fixing your U2. It really is an awesome light.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Are you sure it's not the clicky tailcap? They rattle while on the "on" position.

:thinking: ..... My U2 clicky tailcap dosen't rattle in the on or off position. ....... :naughty:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom -

Like Green said, maybe try very gently bending the three tabs inside the tailcap so they make good contact with the body. The end of a sharp knife will do it. This corrected my U2 malfunction. FWIW, I requested a new tailcap and it took them about a month to get it to me.

Edited: of course, your prob may have nothing to do with the tailcap.

best regards

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Pwdrkeg said:
:thinking: ..... My U2 clicky tailcap dosen't rattle in the on or off position. ....... :naughty:
My U2 tailcap does not rattle in either position as well...o wait, there's a faint rattle when it is on, but the flashlight must be shaken rather vigorously in order for it to become evident.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
My U2 tailcap does not rattle in either position as well...o wait, there's a faint rattle when it is on, but the flashlight must be shaken rather vigorously in order for it to become evident.
:wow: .... Your right, after some very vigorous shaking and some careful
listening I can hear a faint rattle.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I should've been more specific. It's not the tailcap rattles like a maraca... it's very faint, and I only hear it if I shake the light hard. For all practical purposes, though, I'd say my tailcap doesn't rattle. :p

Tom_K

Newly Enlightened
I tried the tail cap fix, nothing changed. I also checked the circuit with a multimeter and the tailcap is working perfect. I had just turned the light on to the highest setting and placed it down on it's side and about 10 seconds later it just turned off. The rattle comes from the head of the light. I removed it from the body and I can hear something metal rattling around in there.

Luna

Enlightened
Pwdrkeg said:
:wow: .... Your right, after some very vigorous shaking and some careful
listening I can hear a faint rattle.

Are you sure it is the light :D

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
That is discouraging to hear, considering SF is supposed to be the ultimate. :-(

Heck, I've got a 10 year old Maglite that's never given me a day of trouble and it only cost $15. ;-)

As a relatively new flashaholic, it seems strange to me how some of these premium flashlights tend to have more issues. I'm not sure why that is the case, and it is a purely anecdotal observation to be sure. But I've noticed it myself with my lights.

I'm not slamming any particular company, and am in no way a Mag apologist. I don't really care for Mags much anymore--but I was just using it to make a point.

Lite

Newly Enlightened
You have a point, mrdctaylor. My 3D mag is, I think, at least 12-years old. It's been used and dropped a lot. Aside from changing the bulb, I haven't had any issues with the light (except I don't use it much anymore now that I've gotten into these LED lights).

warpdrive

Enlightened
It's very disappointing that ANY premium flashlight has issues like this. We sure put up with a lot of crap to get the flashlights we want.

Protaeus

Enlightened
I think you will find that the 'premium' flashlights tend to have more complex parts and circuitry and as we all know, everytime you add an extra component, your just multiplying the chance of something going wrong. I suppose that would also explain why the Surefire U2 seems to get more complaints than others - it is significantly more complex than most other flashlights. The probability of someone recieving a faulty light is likely to be fairly low, however, seeing that people post more often about problems than not, it starts to seem like the lights are a lot faultier than they actually are.

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
I had a very distinct rattle in my U2's head also. The only difference is that mine worked perfectly. No problems with the tail cap, tint, donut etc. Bright as the sun. I just couldn't live with that darned rattle…. It was pretty loud, and I will swear up and down it was a piece of plastic. I imagine it to be a jumper from a hard disk drive. Not as big, perhaps cut in half. It of course got louder when I took the head of the body. Sent it back and got a new one that was horrible tint, crappy donut, tail cap worked great but it was still as bright as my L2.
Currently waiting on my third… Grrr

greenLED

Flashaholic
mrdctaylor said:
As a relatively new flashaholic, it seems strange to me how some of these premium flashlights tend to have more issues. I'm not sure why that is the case, and it is a purely anecdotal observation to be sure. But I've noticed it myself with my lights.

I'm not slamming any particular company, and am in no way a Mag apologist. I don't really care for Mags much anymore--but I was just using it to make a point.

My guess is it's a reporting issue. I think being a "high-end" product, SF is watched more closely & people tend to report failures more often. How often do people start a thread about their broken Mag? Nobody - you go out & buy another one. On the other hand how many companies will fix/replace a broken light like SF does? (Pelican comes to mind but certainly not Dorcy or Mag.)