My Short TigerLight Review

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This is going to be brief and to the point. Please note, I do not have any beamshots and all findings are based on what I saw with my own two eyes. No measuring equipment was used.

The easiest comparision to get out of the way was the 11" vs the 8". Quite simply, they fuction and perform the same. One is longer and heavier than the other and one has pepper-spray and the other doesn't. Obviously the 11" weighs a bit more. As far a perfomance, they're identical.

When the TL goes up against the Streamlight UltraStinger, the TL wins in both throw and volume of light, meaning it not only throws a further distance, but the beam is wider in that throw also. I personally thing the beam quality of the US is a bit better.

Up against the M6, the TL also throws further with more light at the furtherest distance within the hotspot. For short to medium range light (up to 50' maybe) the M6 just simply lights up more of an area with a more intense light. That, of course, only last for 15 or so minutes until the M6 runs low on 123-power.

That's pretty much it as far as it relates to talking about what a flashlight is supposed to do, which is make light. TigerLights claim of being brighter than the M6 and US I feel to be true, as describe above, however to me, there is more to a light that the amount of light it puts out.

Unforunately, the TL is not one I see myself grabbing for as a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice. It's just too big and too heavy. I also could never see myself getting used to the position of the switch. Waiting for 12-hours for a full charge also does not excite me in anyway. I'd like knowing that in 2.5 hours my US can be ready to go or I can pop in 6-123 cells in the M6 and be ready to rock-and-roll immediately. The 8" TL feels larger and heavier than the M6. The 11" is just too long and fat to handle comfortably.

If you want a light that's rechargable and bright, and assuming size and weight doesn't matter, by all means get yourself a TL. For me, I don't see me using the TL and neither one will remain in my collection.

Later this evening, I will be placing both the 8" and the 11" for sale in the B/S/T forum.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that about summarizes what I think is the basic feeling: very bright, very long throw, but also heavy and a bit unwieldy. For my intended use, brightness outweights heaviness, so I'm hopeful I'll like it.

Mine will be coming soon, I hope!

Joe

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
when you guys say heavy, do you mean compared to micro surefire's? or for carry?

cause the tigerlight is only 2oz's heavier than the streamlight sl20x that i carried in my truck.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well....I guess there has to be a compromise somewhere. The TL does in fact throw light
farther than the M6 and the US. Well hell, so
it weighs a little more, but "unwieldy", how
can an 8 inch flashlight be "unwieldy"?
I believe the fact the M6 costs a minimum of
12 bucks an hour to run has to factor in there
somewhere.
Thanks for the review. Ain't no doubt the US
has a lot going for it though. Probably balanced
better. I don't know, I'm just trying to stay
pumped up cause I ordered a TL.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like the TL has more "bang for the buck" than the very expensive M6.

I'm expecting my TL 8" any day now and still feel very good about buying it! I can't tell you how many times I started to order the M6 then realize that, even after a hefty discount, it was going to set me back $250 - $285.

That's almost 4 E2E's, almost 3 M2's, and...well the list goes on and on.

Marty

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's only 23 oz's, the '8 is 21oz's(the m6 is 15oz's). the '11 is a little heavy for alot of carry unless you're a cop(used to big lights) or it's for truck duty like mine will be.

the sl20x i had is about 31oz's and i didn't find it heavy. i use it for what it is, bright light and that comes at a price of size and weight. for smaller lighting tasks i use my E2E, or photon II as needed.

for a rechargable that's brighter than just about anything and bang for the buck i think it's a winner. just my opinion. your mileage will vary.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Size15s:
Thanks. Right, so the TigerLight is heavier. I guess that's mainly Lithium over NiMH right?

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That sounds right, & maybe a bit more aluminum too.

I agree with everything this_is_nascar said.

The only difference with me is I prefer a shorter fatter light over the longer & thinner US because the 8" TL fits in my jacket pocket & barely in my back pocket. The US is just a bit long for my type of carry.

I'm glad to see the Tigerlight holds up so well to the M6. If I could change one thing on the Tigerlight (other than the gold band
wink.gif
) it would be the reflector. I would like to see the TL beam with a textured reflector.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that the TL out throws the others b/c it dosn't have a textured reflector.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by jtivat:
I would say that the TL out throws the others b/c it dosn't have a textured reflector.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is very likely, I would still like to see the difference though.
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the could make a reflector like the US, half & half. Seems to work well in the US for good throw and a good beam. TX