My Surefire U2 (100 Lumen) brighter than Fenix P1dce CREE '135' Lumens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robm

Enlightened
Those New Surefire Crees have pretty long runtimes.. for instance the E2L outdoorsman can run 14 hours, yes, you heard that right. 14hrs! at 45 lumens. :thumbsup:

Is that a full 14 hours at 45 lumens, or does it start at 45, then drop out of regulation after a few hours?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: My Surefire U2 (100 Lumen) brighter than Fenix P1dce '135' Lumens!

In my measurement, U2 have equal brightness with P1D CE, but U2 provide more useful, comfortable beam:
(distance 25 meters; WB set at Sun light)

I have to admit right of the bat that I've only read about a 1/3 of this thread. But considering the title of the thread, these pictures cracked me up. If the exposure was the same during these two photos I'm looking at the P1D CE producing noticably more light than the U2. Does anyone else see this?...look at the spill light.

I'd have to say that my P1D CE is noticably brighter than my U2 at level six.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If my memory serves me right the E2L-Cree has run for 9 hours at full output based on posted runtimes. Run time will be longer with three CR123's (the KX2 head on a three cell body).

Bill

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My Surefire U2 (100 Lumen) brighter than Fenix P1dce '135' Lumens!

I have to admit right of the bat that I've only read about a 1/3 of this thread. But considering the title of the thread, these pictures cracked me up. If the exposure was the same during these two photos I'm looking at the P1D CE producing noticably more light than the U2. Does anyone else see this?...look at the spill light.

I'd have to say that my P1D CE is noticably brighter than my U2 at level six.

Yeah this whole topic is a laugh. Many people have shown proof that the P1D-CE is putting out more light, yet someone doesn't want to admit that given the facts. :) The U2 does have a more even and larger hot spot, but the P1D-CE has more light in the spill and a wider spill. Not only do the beam shots show the P1D-CE is putting out more light, but so do the #'s stated by several review sites, etc.

xiaowenzu

Banned
It appears that even though the P1-DCE is produces slightly more output on paper, the U2 beam has further throw and a larger, brighter hotspot, which makes it brighter in practical use, and IMO that's the most important measure - the naked eye. For instance, if one were to look at the previous U2 beamshot... the left side wall is lit up further down the hall, whereas the P1DCE is becoming darker. Not to mention there are quite noticable 'dark ring' patches, in the P1DCE beamshot, which is inherent of the reflector design plus Cree combination. :shakehead

I guess the U2's superiority in practical output light, comes down to the implementation of the beam, the reflector design and inherent 'wall of light' quality of the Surefire LUx V leds. It's certainly a Surefire combination. :D

Is that a full 14 hours at 45 lumens, or does it start at 45, then drop out of regulation after a few hours?

That's full regulation, and depending of brands of cells you can get anywhere from 9-13 hours, followed by a graceful drop in brightness to the lower levels. :D

daveman

Enlightened
Will the moderators come in here and ban this Xiawenzu troll? Pretty much everybody is reading his posts for laughs, but the garbage he's spewing out COULD MISLEAD MANY NEW FLASHAHOLICS INTO WASTING MONEY ON AN UNWANTED LIGHT.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the moderators come in here and ban this Xiawenzu troll? Pretty much everybody is reading his posts for laughs, but the garbage he's spewing out COULD MISLEAD MANY NEW FLASHAHOLICS INTO WASTING MONEY ON AN UNWANTED LIGHT.

+1

robm

Enlightened
That's full regulation, and depending of brands of cells you can get anywhere from 9-13 hours, followed by a graceful drop in brightness to the lower levels. :D

So not actually 14 hours at 45 lumens then, which may have been a slight exaggeration (or different way of measuring)?
In fact a bit like the Fenix being rated at 135, but actually being comparable to a 100 lumen rated Surefire?

Anyone else spot the irony here?

xiaowenzu

Banned
So not actually 14 hours at 45 lumens then, which may have been a slight exaggeration (or different way of measuring)?
Nope, Surefire gives a runtime of 14 hrs TOTAL, which includes approximately 9+ at full brightness followed by many hours at lower lumens. IMO, it's a very conservative rating from Surefire, which is no surprise to us CPF'ers - they're an honest company, unlike some. :D:twothumbs

robm

Enlightened
Thanks for the clarification.
I was just checking, as your original post stated:

yes, you heard that right. 14hrs! at 45 lumens.

which seemed a bit too good to be true (and was) :D

xiaowenzu

Banned
Thanks for the clarification.
I was just checking, as your original post stated:

yes, you heard that right. 14hrs! at 45 lumens.

which seemed a bit too good to be true (and was) :D

Yep, 14 hrs at 45 lumens with regulated brightness from about 9-10 hours.. sorry if my english wasn't too good:D

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have received 14 email notifications about the back and forth bickering in this thread.

It's run its course.
Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.