My Thoughts on The Prometheus Lights/Dark Sucks MC-18 Flashlight

MoreToasties

Newly Enlightened
My Thoughts on The Prometheus Lights/Dark Sucks MC-18 Flashlight

20120714-DSC_5184.jpg by -eth-, on Flickr

At the beginning of the summer I began searching for a light to replace alost Nitecore flashlight. During my search, I purchased a Sunwayman V10R, a Mac's Tri-EDC, a Solarforce L2 + custom drop in, and of course, an MC-18 from Jason. My experiences with these lights –with emphasis on the MC-18 – are detailed in the following paragraphs.

The MC-18 I ordered from Jason is an Alpha ICE model, with a neutral MC-E emitter and boom reflector. The fit and finish are unparalleled –the threading between the head and body inspire confidence, due to both the exact nature of the machining and the massive number of turns required to properly seat the head. The larger body of the light allows for this, in contrast to a smaller light such as the Sunwayman or the Tri-EDC – in their attempt to conserve space, the head screws on to the body over a fairly short distance. Whether or not this is cause for concern is yet to be seen, but in my experience, an over-built flashlight is a good flashlight. More on that later.

The machining of the light is absolutely flawless. The fins on the ICE head are machined with absolute precision, as are the ribs on the body. The pocket clip is perhaps more roughly finished, but I believe it has been cut out of Titanium by water jet, whereas every other surface of the light is hand-finished aluminium. The pocket clip, while attractive enough, suffers from another flaw – it is rather partial to bending when subjected to stress; however this is easily remedied by reversing the clip on the tailcap and bending it back tothe desired level of tension. Doing so without reversing the clip on the tailcap will unfortunately result in the circular attachment area of the clip being bent as well. This is not a problem I've had with lights such as the Tri-EDC or with McGizmos. That said, I experienced this issue with the Sunwayman, who's clip is made of steel (?) - this leads me to believe that Jason's clips bend not because of the Titanium used but because of the design. It is also worthy of note that Jason's clip fit on my Solarforce L2, saving me from having to buy one.

Jason's lights – in particular, the ICE, Sabre, and others – have adistinctly Art Deco feel to them, as their form and function are in perfect balance. For example, the fins on the head are gorgeous, but also serve to allow heat to dissipate from the head more efficiently. The multi-faceted Boom reflector provides a unique look while providing an excellent, artifact free and usefully floody beam. The blue fluorosilicone O-rings give Jason's lights a unique brand identity while providing the light with a much more reliable and easily maintainable seal against water and other dirt.

The Nickel plating on my light has been subjected to moist and dirty environments regularly since I received it, and has developed a lovely patina. If you are not partial to a patina on your light, I suggest you order a stonewashed or polished light, as a bead blasted finish tends to patina at a much faster rate due to the larger surface area (many more small surfaces!)

For anyone who has any doubts about the durability of this light, rest assured that my particular MC-18 has stood up to anything I've thrown at it. It has been submerged numerous times during camping trips, and even once rolled off the end of a dock. When I retrieved the light it had settled on the bottom of the lake about eleven feet down, and the light worked even underwater. The light has been dropped against sharp rocks and concrete alike, and while it is starting to show marks, it preforms every bit as well as it did when I received it.

Jason has created both a work of art and an infinitely useful tool. It will continue to accompany me in my pocket anywhere I go, from work to the wilderness. I'd like to congratulate him on such a resounding success.

Please stay tuned for photos, and my thoughts on a few prototype pieces Ireceived from Jason. Any speaking of that, Jason, if you're reading this, please email me your address so that I can return the prototype heads to you.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
The ICE is sweet! I love my Alpha smoothie!!! :)

I sent my Alpha to flucero28 for a lower low level, and also a moon mode. The moon mode is about like a HDS on the lowest level. The result is 4 perfectly spaced levels from >1 lumen to 500 lumens!!!

Also went with "hybrid" memory.

This remembers the last level used, but when you go to change levels it reverts back to moon mode no matter which level was previously used. Love it!!

apache blue

Newly Enlightened
The ICE is sweet! I love my Alpha smoothie!!! :)

I sent my Alpha to flucero28 for a lower low level, and also a moon mode. The moon mode is about like a HDS on the lowest level. The result is 4 perfectly spaced levels from >1 lumen to 500 lumens!!!

Also went with "hybrid" memory.

This remembers the last level used, but when you go to change levels it reverts back to moon mode no matter which level was previously used. Love it!!

I'm guessing thats the guys cpf handle? that mod sounds sweet as hell.

I was lucky enough to get one of the alpha prototypes, it was a total accident, i'd decided to get my first custom light, i went on his site and he had some prototypes for sale, i took a chance and ended up with my favourite light. I hear people talk about lights as well built but from my experience noone can touch Jason, I recently got my first mcgizmo (Makai) and, whilst i adore my makai, I honestly believe that Prometheus are making the best, most well built lights available today.
My only concern is that recently I've seen prometheus key rings, jobi stands, pens etc. whilst at the same time theres no lights getting made. The lack of interest in the ti ice is also a concern. I firmly believe that Jason needs to bite the bullet and make a cr123 alpha, I understand his reasons why he didn't want to do it at first (respect for others) but that seems to be the most in demand light size and anyone who owns an alpha will agree that Jason has the potential to be the man that makes the haiku killer (though we'll all probably buy both lol)
Sorry if i sound like a fan boy but I love these lights and my communications with Jason have convinced me he's a true gentleman. This is a brand we need to get behind and support. I just don't want the pen lol