My wish list come true from Eternalight

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:

Once again, the magnet barely sticks out...1/3 the thickness of a dime.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not the physical size of the magnet that concerns me; it's the magnetic field.
I'll stick with my old Xray. Thanks!
frown.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
It's not the physical size of the magnet that concerns me; it's the magnetic field.
I'll stick with my old Xray. Thanks!
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

=======================================
Sorry, I did not read your post carefully enough. My guess is that is is glued securely. I was tempted to remove it and put a square of ALien Skin there...but the magnet is proving too handy. I may change my mind however
smile.gif

Terrapin Flyer

Newly Enlightened
I'm NOT sure on this, but the more I think about it, it only makes sense that the X stands for "Xray" and the 5 looks quite a bit like an "S", perhaps for LED rank.

This was not confirmed during my conversation. What was confirmed is that the markings I have fit the parameters of those ErgoXrays with S Nichias.

KenBar

Enlightened
Small update after using it through the night. I had to switch the "flashing" beacon off as it was too bright and distracting. I changed it to always on and it was just fine.

The case of the new one is more translucent so it gives up more of the light from the blue led inside...

ps

One001
I am not sure how to answer your question as I don't feel that qualified to judge things that others do better. It is a bright as .... light. I am not overdriving my LS modules so it would be unfair to compare. It is brighter than my first ErgoXray.

I would be glad to send mine to Brock for a more appropriate review...assuming you are not going to get one to review.

Ken

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good... Sounds like it's durability and new design features may put it "over the top" to a rare and coveted 5 star rating from my site, but I'd need to see one in person. Technology Associates can send a professional evaluation sample if they would like it evaluated and the results posted.

I've been playing with the ErgoMarine for a while, and it now sits on my nightstand. The more I use it the more I like it.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
itseems that i don't like much about this new light. the magnet seems useless unless you dont really ever use the light. reinforced screwholes are a bonus. s ranks ceased to impress when the pulsarshave an led that i geuss is r rank but is 3 times brighter than my le (NO YOU CAN'T HAVE MY LE!). the xray case has always been my favorite although i dont own one it frusterates me that tech assi. wont make more than trans blue case when its possible to make every color of the rainbow including clear or frost.
my eternalight wishlist:
the elite raven
specs:
all leds lri(photon) grade
frostclear case with interior mounted square of alian skin
reinforced screws
night beacon feature with your choice of led color be it red or white or whatever
allthis in a case no different in size or shape of the raven2

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by One001:
Wolfman, how about a comment on the tinting of the LEDs, if any?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

===========================
The led's are so bright it is hard to answer.
Everything I have that I compare to it washes out. Someone borrowed my Expedition and failed to return it...oor I put it somewhere and forgot.

So here is my best try... Shining at a white wall.. about 5 feet away...it has ever so light a tint of white/violet. It is so much brighter than my Ergo Marine I thought I could compare to it...but it totally washes it out.

It is a pleasing color...very much like the ArcLE but of course many more times brighter.

Gandalf

Enlightened
I ordered my Model 4 Elite Xray on Wed. afternoon, and it was at my house when I got home from work on Friday! I got a 'shipped confirmation' with a 10PM time on it. Someone's putting in overtime to get these things out. Nice going, Technology Associates.
grin.gif

I've been looking for an excuse to buy an Ergo Xray, to complete my EternaLight collection ( Ergo Marine, Ergo Raven2, Ergo green/white combination) And these improvements gave me my excuse.

To my eye, on a very white surface, the light has the same color as my Arc-LE. But, due to my moderate color blindness, I don't always see subtle colors the same as other people. But the light looks to me as being less blue than my Ergo Marine, with some violet in it. Overall, substantially whiter than a standard EternaLight. It's not as white as the LS module in my 3D cell LS light, but as big an improvement as the Arc-LE is over the standard Arc-AAA. Stands to reason, of course.
wink.gif

As for light output, it looks like what I would expect to see if an EternaLight has 5 LED's, and then some. The difference is more apparent when I shine it into a room, say at 6 to 12 feet, than shining it on a wall at 2 or 3 feet. My Ergo Marine seems to have a little tighter beam, giving it more of a hot spot, at short range. But at the moderate distances where an EternaLight is useful, it puts out enough more light to be very noticeable.

My gripes: the magnet should have rounded corners. I'm going to put some masking tape around the magnet, and round the corners a bit with a diamond file. And the piece of plastic film that's applied to the magnet is already peeling off. I haven't decided if I like the magnet yet or not, but for it's size, and it's thickness, it's very strong.

For some reason, the keypad switches aren't nearly as nice as my other EternaLights. On my Ergo Marine, the switches are slightly recessed. On the Model 4 Elite Xray, there is a distinct bump in the center of each switch, and each one makes a *much* louder click than my other lights. The switches on my Ergo Marine feel much better, like they are higher quality switches than those on the Elite Xray. Nitpicking, but annoying. I gave away several standard Ergo EternaLights at Christmas, and I checked each of them before I wrapped them, and they all had better feeling switches than this substantially more expensive light. I can only assume they came from a different supplier, because they aren't up to the quality of the rest of the light. Of course, if I didn't have other EternaLights to compare it to, the switches on the Elite Xray would not feel 'cheap'. Nitpicking, like I said.

The lanyard, which looks fairly nice, is totally worthless. With just a very moderate pull, the cheesy plastic catch separates. I don't care to lose my new $66 light because the lanyard just opens at the first pull on it. Like many of my other lights, the Elite Xray will get a lanyard made of black nylon boot lace. I think that stuff could support my weight, in a pinch.

Color: blue is OK, (although blue and silver and black are a bit bizarre, IMHO) but while some people have a favorite color, I'd prefer a neutral smoked grey case. Or, go crazy and make it in a whole bunch of colors. Why just blue? I'll bet there are some people who don't particularly like blue. I don't care much for red, myself, except on my 1988 'mid-life crisis' sports car, which has paint that can only be described as 'give me a ticket red'.
It would look ugly on a flashlight, though, and I don't own a single piece of red clothing.
tongue.gif

The small but functional phillips screwdriver is a nice touch. It should have a keyring on it, but it's still a welcome accessory. Provided I don't lose it, it sure beats carrying a standard size 0 screwdriver around for the admittedly infrequent battery changes. It balances out the lanyard, maybe.

All in all, EternaLight has made my favorite LED flashlight even better. (I had to send my Arc-LS back. When I get my replacement, we'll see which one tends to leave the house with me more often. I have a feeling it'll be the Arc-LS, with the 123 battery case on it. Very small, and very bright.:cool
smile.gif
But Technology Associates has managed to make some real improvements on an already excellent design, which is no small feat, in this rapidly changing LED flashlight market.

One last thing: last summer and fall, when I was buying Ergo EternaLights for around $35, delivered, from eBay, for Christmas gifts, their list price was $60. In between one day and the next, the 'list price' on the Technology Associates website went from $59.99 to $39.99. A *big* drop. I expect the same thing will happen to the Elite Xray, in a year or so. Frankly, this light isn't worth $80, (make that $86.50, delivered) and I think Technology Associates would sell many more of them at a lower price. Just my opinions, here, of course.
wink.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Trying to catch up here, I would like to see one of the new x-rays agains the slightly older units. I have the regualr ones to compare to. Hopefully Ted will be sending me a production run Arc LS to get all the readings from
wink.gif

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
Wolfman and Gandolf, thank you for taking the time to critique our new EliteXRay. I would like to quell one speculation here. The keypad switches are the same as our other units. The difference in feel might be due to a thicker membrane. There is a variance in the thickness of our membranes. The slightly thicker ones tend to give less of a positive feel in comparison to the thinner ones but this is, as one of you noted, only a comparitive difference.

FYI, we feel an awesome lanyard companion for the EliteXRay is the Utilikey made by SwissTec. It retails for about $10.00. We are trying to get some to sell on our website as an accessory. I suggest this product to all CPF members who have an eternaLight and carry it in this way.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Yes! the utilikey is an EXCELLENT product.
I highly recommend it as well. (always on my key chain, as it is not obtrusive at all--it's shaped just like a key!)

With the screwdriver, you can change the batteries in the Eternalight...if that ever happens.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will admit I was a little concerned too- but don`t be. It`s not strong enough to affect the TV/monitor if accidentally left on top, but I`d not stick it in the same drawer as your floppy discs or video tapes.

My Ergo Xray model 4 arrived this morning, along with its cousin the model 3. I`d wanted to get an Ergo eternalight or 2 for ages, so saw this as my opportunity- dipped into the Maxabeam/Surefire M6 fund and emptied it out again!

Now, I was in full flow taking pictures of the two lights for a side-by-side comparison, when my camera whent phut. Well, it fizzled out anyway. I don`t think it`s the power lead this time....better break out the teensy tiny screwdrivers again. I did however, manage to do these...

ergoxray3and4.jpg

ergoxray4.jpg

ergoxray4nb.jpg

And as you can see below, that magnet is very effective- here stuck to a big 3-phase power switch I have fixed to the side of that bookshelf up there for some reason or other...

ergoxray4stuck.jpg

...and as soon as I find which bit of that troublesome camera has come loose this time, I`ll take more and do a full comparison. Till then, I wonder if the magnet on the Ergo-4 will come in handy as a place to stick those teensy screws so I won`t lose them?

rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

originally uttered by Chris M.:
I wonder if the magnet on the Ergo-4 will come in handy as a place to stick those teensy screws so I won`t lose them?
---------
...just what I was going to say...now I'm thinking it would a good idea to buy a bunch of the most powerful tiny magnets I can find and epoxy them to all my flashlights with itty bitty screws...
smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, if any buyers of the new eternalight have an Inova X5 to compare it to, what are the differences in light output? Today is last day to buy at current price.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Well, I bought one of those Elite models last night...before the price change. I don't know why.

Why did I buy one?
Could it be the flashaholic in me?
I don't *need* this light...
Ugh...
(FYI, I also bought 2 Zzzlights...)
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roger:
Well, I bought one of those Elite models last night...before the price change. I don't know why.

Why did I buy one?
Could it be the flashaholic in me?
I don't *need* this light...
Ugh...
(FYI, I also bought 2 Zzzlights...)
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's funny, I bought one last minute like yourself and have the same thoughts as you. My reasoning was that I could stick it to the fridge using the built in magnet with the blue LED flashing and then I could use it for night time low illumination use like getting a glass of water. (I hate a bright kitchen light in middle of the night). But the thing is, I already have two PAL lights I could use for this purpose.

Also, I had previously bought two ZZZ lights. The light output is pretty cool but I wish there was a way to vary the rate of change as it changes colors way too rapidly for me. I also hope the Eternalights are constructed better then the ZZZ light. It is cobbled together in a very shoddily manner. I would think the company would be embarrassed to offer a product that cheaply constructed.

I didn't get a ship confirmation on the eternalight today, I hope they are not out of them.

Terrapin Flyer

Newly Enlightened
I called and spoke to Tom. Evidently ran out of LED's, but they're back in stock now. I rcvd. a ship notice today that my Elite was on the way.

I *NEEDED* this like I needed the Microtech Medallion knife (Plain Stonewash blade) I ordered the same day.
grin.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Hehe, thanks, Geepondy. I guess it helps, knowing that other fellow CPFers are also facing the same tough day-to-day decisions.
smile.gif

Now I just need to sell/give away my Ergo Marine...