Mystery Light, the "Grizzly"

Eltee8249

Newly Enlightened
I bought this light (IIRC) 20 or more years ago, maybe even from someone on this site. It was called The Grizzly by the maker and uses a power supply using 9 AA rechargeable 2500 Mah batteries. It was from before LED bulbs were widely used. This light only recently resurfaced as we were unpacking at our new house.
Looking for any information on this light. Is it possible to change it out to LED? In its day it was a very powerful light. Any information appreciated.
Grizzly.jpg

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appears to be a vintage Maglite clone. Just curious if the bulb is potted or bipin.

If potted, it could probably run Potted WA01328-U (9.6V, 1.33A) $12 Each (29 AVAILABLE) (Use 9 Eneloop or 3 protected) at maybe 60-90Lm for nearly 2 hours. On the same page linked above, if you swap out the reflector for an aluminum one and swap the lens for a glass one, it may run Potted WA01185-U (9.6V, 3.15A) $14 Each (2 AVAILABLE) (Use 9 Eneloop or 3 protected) for maybe 45 mins at upwards of 1200Lm.

For LED, I don't really understand Malkoff's options for Maglite, but I don't see any on that page for 9V. Maybe with this and the Maglite adapter. Contact Gene through his site if interested.

There are really cheap LED dropins on eBay, but I don't see any in 9V (search "Maglite LED dropin 9V"). And you get what you pay for, ugly harsh light.

There are custom options, for instance here, but idk if otis311 is still active. Also, vestureofblood has upgrades and that is more recent.

bykfixer will know what this light is and all the upgrade options, and he will be along shortly

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that socket is ceramic (hard to tell whether plastic or ceramic from the picture... oh wait, it's ceramic and aluminum, isn't it?* And the reflector is already Aluminum? Glass lens already installed?! VERY nice flashlight), and you replace the reflector with aluminum and get a glass lens, you can run (page linked above) either or both
G4 Bi-pin WA01331-U (9.6V, 2A) $10 Each (13 AVAILABLE) (Use 9 Eneloop or 3 protected)
G4 Bi-pin WA01318-U (9.6V, 2A) $10 Each (50 AVAILABLE) (Use 9 Eneloop or 3 protected)

for about 150-180Lm (see below, more like 800Lm) for up to a hour and 15 minutes. (see below, more like 2.5hrs on UH2655 cells)

But I think that socket may accept G6.35 bulbs also, which gets interesting, just on fivemega's super bulb page you could underdrive either
Osram Bi-pin G6.35 64625 (12V, 100W) $6 Each (6 AVAILABLE)(Use 10 Hi current NiMH)
Osram Bi-pin G6.35 64610 (12V, 50W) $6 Each (4 AVAILABLE)(Use 10 Hi current NiMH)

for a pretty bright flashlight, but hard to say how bright, maybe 500-1100Lm for 15 minutes (much brighter, 2500+Lm, for maybe 40m with UH2655) with the 100W if the switch can handle 8A, and 30 minutes an hour at maybe 1000Lm with the 50W, again if the switch can handle 5A. (I am sure it must.)

Or find a different G6.35 lamp, like Osram 64430 for 600-700Lm and maybe 20 minutes at 9V for 40-45 minutes of runtime on UH2655 cells. It's over 7A at 9V, so the switch may need upgraded, but would definitely need a glass lens and Al reflector (these come up on eBay, a couple just sold in the last week or so), but at 11.1V w/ 3 UH2655 cells at least 8.11A for over 1366Lm (chart already linked in first sentence of this paragraph) for up to 40 minutes of runtime.

There are G4 and G6.35 base LED bipin replacements for Halogen lamps, lots and lots of them, but I can't tell you anything about them, though I strongly suspect they are cheap and produce crummy light.

* I think I have that same socket

33VxTiJ_d.webp

2ePnfkc_d.webp

NKloMhZ_d.webp

I think that light IS a vintage Maglite 3D (might be able to date it with the serial number on the side using the charts here), and it is most likely already set up for hotwire. Converting it to LED would be a total waste, IMO. You should research 6V 12V G4 and G6.35 base halogen lamps and overdrive at 9V or underdrive 12V /just run 12V. Probably want to get new Eneloops, though those Sanyos probably are Eneloops, they may have been abused and overdischarged, affecting how many amps they can put out.

If you want to sell that light to me, let me know what you want for it, or I can buy a new LED 3D Maglite for you and we can trade. I've been researching building that very light for the last couple weeks, bothering fivemega and bykfixer about it. LOL Pretty.

You should keep it though, and run halogen with three Keeppower UH2655 IMR16650 for the full 12V (well, 11.1V), with a (short I think 20mm?) dummy insert to complete the circuit, cut a PVC sleeve that fits the body and cells so the cells won't rattle, and find the right 1200Lm - 3000Lm / 3A - 5A halogen bipin lamp for an hour or so of runtime. With 3 of those KP cells you could run either
G4 Bi-pin WA01331-U (9.6V, 2A) $10 Each (13 AVAILABLE) (Use 9 Eneloop or 3 protected)
G4 Bi-pin WA01318-U (9.6V, 2A) $10 Each (50 AVAILABLE) (Use 9 Eneloop or 3 protected)
for 2.5 hours at ~800Lm with the 1331 and probably about the same for the 1318 (on UH2655). Just need the lamp, cells, dummy and sleeve. I guess you might get almost an hour with 9 Eneloops on these last 2 bulbs.

I am sorry I did not examine your images closely at first. You've got a set up with those cell caddies for 7.2V (9V? nominally) and 12V proper. Whomever sold you that really set you up. I think it would be a terrible shame to convert it to LED, and I'm not even sure how it could be done. The Maglite LED guys here might know, but I would have an argument for them about the futility of messing with the essence of things. That is an a priori incan.

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
I believe that you have one of the light models that "Blackbear Lights" (aka Juancho on CPF) created. A search here would drum up more info for you. By all accounts Juan, the builder, was a good guy. Took time to use quality parts in his creations (FiveMega, Modamag, etc...) I remember them "back in the day". Very powerful incands indeed.

Eltee8249

Newly Enlightened
I believe that you have one of the light models that "Blackbear Lights" (aka Juancho on CPF) created. A search here would drum up more info for you. By all accounts Juan, the builder, was a good guy. Took time to use quality parts in his creations (FiveMega, Modamag, etc...) I remember them "back in the day". Very powerful incands indeed.
That sounds familiar. Mine was called The Grizzly. Two battery sticks, charger, and some lume dots on the bezel. It really threw a bright beam. The batteries are all dead so I am waiting for some replacements to arrive. Looks as if Juancho has not been active here for a decade or so, too bad. He was very helpful when I ordered this and when I had questions about it.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that you have one of the light models that "Blackbear Lights" (aka Juancho on CPF) created.
Mine was called The Grizzly.

I found Juancho's website on archive.org. I think a couple new products were added in 2007, but then the site doesn't change until sometime after 2015 it seems to become a zombie, and all it shows is "too many requests." Using archive.org to view compressed snapshots is reminiscent of the days of dialup.

To save anyone curious of all the work struggling with compressed websites built in javascript, here's screenshots of most of the site with direct archive.org links to product documentation below the screens. A lot of the images either weren't archived or I lost patience after minutes of waiting for them to load.

PY7RkzX_d.webp

RC1LUxB_d.webp

XdVrdrl.jpg

P4BHKbB_d.webp

20zlVLv_d.webp

wWoAjLA_d.webp

T4d8dlv_d.webp

gF5ahRB_d.webp

oZPa3Jh_d.webp

yqEVDAa_d.webp

Mtghkzb_d.webp

TE8SoEM_d.webp

BmGGoII_d.webp

Borealis Owner's Manual (PDF)
(Bear Cub Owner's Manual failed to archive)
Moving Parts To A New Host (PDF)

The "Bulbs and Bleeding Lamp" page was never archived, as far as I can tell. I really wanted to see that page. If the videos are archived, I can't see them, they were self-hosted .wmv, Windows Media Video.

It is absolutely possible The Grizzly was an original product and appeared on and disappeared off the site prior to the it being first archived in late 2006, or it could be a prototype or predecessor of Borealis, also possible that it is a Borealis with anodizing stripped and bare aluminum crenellated bezel added to create a unique result that Juancho christened The Grizzly.

Last edited:

Eltee8249

Newly Enlightened
I found Juancho's website on archive.org. I think a couple new products were added in 2007, but then the site doesn't change until sometime after 2015 it seems to become a zombie, and all it shows is "too many requests." Using archive.org to view compressed snapshots is reminiscent of the days of dialup.

To save anyone curious of all the work struggling with compressed websites built in javascript, here's screenshots of most of the site with direct archive.org links to product documentation below the screens. A lot of the images either weren't archived or I lost patience after minutes of waiting for them to load.

PY7RkzX_d.webp

RC1LUxB_d.webp

View attachment 37240
P4BHKbB_d.webp

20zlVLv_d.webp

wWoAjLA_d.webp

T4d8dlv_d.webp

gF5ahRB_d.webp

oZPa3Jh_d.webp

yqEVDAa_d.webp

Mtghkzb_d.webp

TE8SoEM_d.webp

BmGGoII_d.webp

Borealis Owner's Manual (PDF)
(Bear Cub Owner's Manual failed to archive)
Moving Parts To A New Host (PDF)

The "Bulbs and Bleeding Lamp" page was never archived, as far as I can tell. I really wanted to see that page. If the videos are archived, I can't see them, they were self-hosted .wmv, Windows Media Video.

It is absolutely possible The Grizzly was an original product and appeared on and disappeared off the site prior to the it being first archived in late 2006, or it could be a prototype or predecessor of Borealis, also possible that it is a Borealis with anodizing stripped and bare aluminum crenellated bezel added to create a unique result that Juancho christened The Grizzly.
THANK YOU for this really valuable information. Yes, Black Bear marketed to first responders and I bought it when I was a policeman. Cops tend to want to have bragging rights about gear so we constantly have friendly competitions on who has the coolest knife, watch, off duty gun, and ... flashlight. The department issued us these 2-cell "Brite Star" plastic bodied flashlights that fit into the special "Sap/Light" pocket sewn into our uniform pants. This was the era (I'm now retired) before Surefire, Streamlight, etc. My Black Bear light was my foray into the flashlight rivalry. In its time, it was a beast.

Your post allowed me to access the manual and I appreciate your time in digging up the information. Juancho was very helpful back in the day and it's too bad he's no longer in business. I packed this away years ago after retiring and it surfaced as we unpacked after moving to Texas. It's still as pristine as it was back in the day! Thanks again.

Eltee8249

Newly Enlightened
Is there a current flashlight, any make, that is equivalent / superior to the performance of this Black Bear? I really like have a sturdy light that throws a crazy beam and doubles as a Louisville Slugger in a pinch. I'm not tied to the Black Bear so I'm ok with trading up towards something more modern if that's the case. Thank you.

Last edited: