narrow optics for CREE XRE?

Tekstyle

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where I can find a super narrow Optics around 20-22mm outer diameter for CREE XRE LED? I am looking for something around 2-3degrees spotbeam with absolutely no spill beam. I've looked everywhere. even tried a 2 degrees K2 Optics on a CREE XRE and it didn't look too good. thanks everyone

Regards

Tekstyle

Newly Enlightened
Where did you get that K2 optics ?

Thanks guys. I got that K2 optics from LEDsupply.com. they have some 2 and 3 degrees there, but it's not for CREE. I think you need a K2 luxeon or a OSRAM LED which consumes more power and emits less lumen.

ALEXGT: thanks for the link. I'll have look into those aspheric lens.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 8* is the best "optic" so far, i have one of the "aspherics" they sold the white one, and its a frog lens, not an aspheric, it was mislabeled :-( make sure you get the one that looks like a pregnant magnifying lens, sorta like a laser head lens.
also note that the one i got was designed to fit ontop a star item, with it dropping in the 4 screw holes, but the star item they sold is not in the same rotation :huh: so it doesnt fit down over it without clipping the leggs off ??

if you want a real 2* beam something tough for optics, it will have to be a real aspheric, and then you get the square projection.

the beam of the 8* is leaning towards being square ALREADY, and for optics it does VERY well grabbing most of the light and directing it foreward, wheras a aspheric (not a frog lens) will loose 30-40%.

so IMO the 8* is a good choice, anything else and you would be better off putting in a real fat front aspheric lens with focusing capability.

also the 8* in itself is so tight , that it already has convergance issues if used in multiples.
good luck on your search, but that is some of what i have found, and i would want to know when asking that question.

reflectors can more likly have a very tight point, but with a lot of spill, as lots of light misses the reflector, get rid of the spill with optics, and the beam (as seen way out there hitting the trees) is a lot different, no splashback in your face.
the BLACK holders , instead of white holders, reduce the spill because the "holder" doesnt send the light going to the sides back out again, which puts a BIT of spill beam back in.
so that is also a concideration, when your going between having as much LIGHT come out as possible, VRSES having only the light you want going to where you want it to go.

Last edited:

CampingLED

Enlightened
Fraen makes 6 deg optics (FCG range) and it seams that the beam already becomes square. I have done some searches on CPF in the past and noticed that some CPF's have played with them.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Polymer Optics makes a 5˚ FWHM optic for Crees, but it's 30mm in diameter. Carclo makes a 3.8˚ FWHM optic for Lux/SSC, but it's 60mm in diameter. I think the laws of physics are against a 20mm optic with 2-3˚ beam divergence on a 1mm^2 die LED.

gillestugan

Enlightened
This optics gives 5 degrees on a cree. It it perfectly focused, so you can even see the three "rows" in the die of a q5 like in this post. Spill is minor. I think it's cool but have not found any use for it yet.

Tekstyle

Newly Enlightened
Polymer Optics makes a 5˚ FWHM optic for Crees, but it's 30mm in diameter. Carclo makes a 3.8˚ FWHM optic for Lux/SSC, but it's 60mm in diameter. I think the laws of physics are against a 20mm optic with 2-3˚ beam divergence on a 1mm^2 die LED.

Thanks for the link. the 30mm 5 degree was a reflector so the spill was too excessive for my application. however, i found this http://www.polymer-optics.co.uk/Cree XR-E Optics Range Brochure.pdf which looks like a very good candidate for what I need (6 Degree XR-E Collimator Lens - Part No. 170(. This place will only sell to you if you have a minimum order of 50lbs. I only need 1 to 2 :-(.

gillestugan said:
This optics gives 5 degrees on a cree. It it perfectly focused, so you can even see the three "rows" in the die of a q5 like in this post. Spill is minor. I think it's cool but have not found any use for it yet.

Thanks for a great find! the lens on the ebay link is made for a luxeon LED. do you have images of one of these on a CREE XRE Q5? I am interested in seeing the beam output. nonetheless, it's a fair piece to pay.

To CampingLED and VidPro:

I found the Fraen FCG-N1-XR79-H which seems like another good candidate, but I have not seen any beam shots of this in action.

I don't mind the square. in fact, i don't think i can avoid it but it doesn't matter because what i need to do is to be able to focus all the light into a 2.5x2.5" to 4x4" square from 12-13" away with no spill. Brightness is not really an issue since it's a fairly short distance.

Thanks everyone. Please keep the knowledge coming!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ebay link is a 10˚ FWHM beam. FWHM stands for Full Width Half Maximum and is an easy way to say the full angle measure of the beam. That's on the wide side of what you want. Something like this from Kaidomain will work quite well for you. The angle measure listed ofr the KD optic is FWHM.

All optics have spill. This can be almost totally abated by placing the optic at the base of a 4in. long tube with an ID about the same as the OD of the optic.

That 2.5˚ optic I mentioned earlier is in fact an optic, but it does have some metallizing done. It has a beam divergence of 5˚ FWHM.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link. the 30mm 5 degree was a reflector so the spill was too excessive for my application. however, i found this http://www.polymer-optics.co.uk/Cree%20XR-E%20Optics%20Range%20Brochure.pdf which looks like a very good candidate for what I need (6 Degree XR-E Collimator Lens - Part No. 170(. This place will only sell to you if you have a minimum order of 50lbs. I only need 1 to 2 :-(.

I think that optic is available from cutter electronics. Give me a minute to check.

Yep they've got it.

Last edited:

steve6690

Enlightened
I have a Polymer Optics 170 here. It projects a bright square of light with very minimal spill. It doesn't give a particularly narrow beam, in fact the DX 18.5mm reflectors have a narrower hotspot. Polymer Optics also make an optic ( No 173 ) for "beam insertion into a fibre optic bundle". I wonder whether you could make use of it. Might be worth dropping them an email.

Tekstyle

Newly Enlightened
I have a Polymer Optics 170 here. It projects a bright square of light with very minimal spill. It doesn't give a particularly narrow beam, in fact the DX 18.5mm reflectors have a narrower hotspot. Polymer Optics also make an optic ( No 173 ) for "beam insertion into a fibre optic bundle". I wonder whether you could make use of it. Might be worth dropping them an email.

Thanks Steve. can you post a beam spot of the 170 on a ruler from 12" away?

steve6690

Enlightened
3096553616_09b865cfd7.jpg

not good quality but I think it shows it...

Last edited: