narrow optics for CREE XRE?

steve6690

Enlightened
Where do you get these from?

I also have the Fraen reflectors, which I'm using in my recently completed dive light project. They're fine for multi-emitter lights but with a single emitter you can notice there are lines in the beam pattern.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I am fine with the lines!

Good throw without the big heavy bubble aspheric lens sounds perfect. So where do I buy them?

steve6690

Enlightened
The Fraen at 12 inches from the wall.

3096886526_44b0301a6a.jpg

I bought mine from Cutter as they were quite cheap..

Tekstyle

Newly Enlightened

Good throw without the big heavy bubble aspheric lens sounds perfect. So where do I buy them?

YOu can get them from cutter.

Thanks for the picture Steve.. i am waiting on an aspheric lens from DX, but if that doesnt work, the next lens to try out is definitely the 170, 173, or fraen.

How's the spill beam on both the 170 and fraen at 12"? would it be too blinding if the spill was in someone's eyes?

steve6690

Enlightened
18.5mm DX OP reflector

3096906566_7b4e6c0a08.jpg

I would say that the spill from the Fraen and the DX is very bright/blinding indeed. The spill on the PO 170 is definitely much less and is tolerable to look at.

steve6690

Enlightened

If you can't get the Fraen reflectors you will be more than happy with the DX

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5951

It's as tight as the Fraen but much cleaner in both hotspot and spill area. IMHO it's slightly better than the Fraen if you can deal with the mounting issues

gillestugan

Enlightened
The ebay link is a 10˚ FWHM beam. FWHM stands for Full Width Half Maximum and is an easy way to say the full angle measure of the beam. That's on the wide side of what you want.

It may be 10 degrees with a luxeon, but I measured it to 5 degrees on the wall with a XR-E. But again you get that perfect projection of the die which I dont like at all.

Tekstyle

Newly Enlightened
It may be 10 degrees with a luxeon, but I measured it to 5 degrees on the wall with a XR-E. But again you get that perfect projection of the die which I dont like at all.

i'll have to check this out if it's indeed 5 degrees with a XRE. thanks for the heads up!