NCR18650GA vs NCR18650B ?

light-wolff

Newly Enlightened
The GA has more capacity, maintains higher voltage under the same load, and can deliver higher current. But it has no PTC.

ncr18650gavsncr18650bnuu3v.png

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
The GA has more capacity, maintains higher voltage under the same load, and can deliver higher current. But it has no PTC.

ncr18650gavsncr18650bnuu3v.png

You could find rebranded 18650ga 3500mah protected like Evva, Orbtronic, Keeppower, Eagtac...with button top instead the flat top of the original one without protection.

And some with "no name". It is the same cell inside but a third party add the pcb (protected) at a lower cost.

http://m.aliexpress.com/search.htm?keywords=ncr18650ga+protected

These ones above are button top too.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thanks, with what you have said, COST ASIDE, why would one choose the "B" cell over the "GA?"
Mainly cost like you said, but I have found that some protected GA cells to be a little fatter in diameter than the B cells. As far as non-protected cells go, I think I favor the GA over the "B" because of the raised positive terminal. It's not a flat top like the B cell and its not a button top either.......somewhere inbetween and that makes the difference on some flashlights that won't accept a flat top.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?412664-Keeppower-3500mAh-18650-batteries-too-wide

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
Mainly cost like you said, but I have found that some protected GA cells to be a little fatter in diameter than the B cells. As far as non-protected cells go, I think I favor the GA over the "B" because of the raised positive terminal. It's not a flat top like the B cell and its not a button top either.......somewhere inbetween and that makes the difference on some flashlights that won't accept a flat top.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?412664-Keeppower-3500mAh-18650-batteries-too-wide

Ok, one more, is cost also the only reason that someone would want, say a 2400mAh battery vs. 3500mAh battery? My feeling is, since I don't have dozens of batteries, I'd rather just get the longest lasting b/c the cost difference to me is negligible. Thanks!

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

I have followed your link to the other thread, very interesting. I have bought Evva 3500 for my armytek predator and barracuda but they don't fit like the keeppower you have. I was planning to buy the keeppower 3500 but with your issue, I think there is a chance that they don't fit either. I have the LG MJ1 that fit in my barracuda (2cells) but if I shake the light, there is a little ratle but no flickering. No problem with one cell in these 2 lights. I think I will add the button top with the spacer and rewraped them.

Do you know a place to buy the button top cap and the spacer? For the wrap, we can find them easily.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Ok, one more, is cost also the only reason that someone would want, say a 2400mAh battery vs. 3500mAh battery? My feeling is, since I don't have dozens of batteries, I'd rather just get the longest lasting b/c the cost difference to me is negligible. Thanks!

The ncr18650b unprotected or with pcb circuit added fits in the majority of flashlight. If you plan to buy a modified one, you will surely need a cell that can give higher disharge current (10-20-30-40A) instead of the 5A that the 18650B give.

Until now, I use the ncr18650b in all my lights.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ncr18650b unprotected or with pcb circuit added fits in the majority of flashlight. If you plan to buy a modified one, you will surely need a cell that can give higher disharge current (10-20-30-40A) instead of the 5A that the 18650B give.

Until now, I use the ncr18650b in all my lights.
Somehow I think by the time one of our modders builds a light like one that takes a 20+ amp battery, will be the day they get sued out of business. That's a huge amount of current flowing thru a few wraps of coiled spring and solder braid for contact.

Maybe a 20+amp battery for use in a pack where all the contacts are spot welded, but nothing depending on friction for contact. Those types of amperage demands are met with XT60 and Dean connectors. I could be wrong.

light-wolff

Newly Enlightened
No PTC? What internal protection mechanisms is the GA using? A heat resistive layer?
HRL and CID are present like in the B type. Only the PTC is missing, as in the other 3500mAh cells SDI 35E, LG MJ1.
The highest capacity cell with PTC afaik is BF. BL is BF without PTC.

Last edited:

Latest posts