Neat household MacGyver tricks you've learned

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Growing up in the midwest, we always had corn on the cob. Always frustrating dealing with the pesky silk ruining the experience. After many decades I found the magic trick.

Microwave corn in husk for 4 mins (add 2 mins for every additional ear).

Using mitts/ove glove, cut off the stalk end (opposite the silk) about 1 kernel above bottom.

Squeeze corn from silk end out through that cut off stalk end.

It slides right out, and keeps all the silk from coming out.

It's like magic.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Got busted ice maker? No ice maker?
Got Nyquil cups you keep but have no clue why?

IMG_1896.jpeg

Ice cubes.

PewPewPew

Newly Enlightened
If you want crystal clear ice for mixed drinks, etc. Get yourself an insulated coffee cup or small insulated container and fill it 2/3 with tap water. Let it freeze until it's about half ice/half water, take it out of the freezer and let it thaw until it slides out of the cup/container easily and looks clear (tempered), then score it and split it with a hammer and knife/chisel until it's in the sized pieces you want. Once you've chopped up your ice for future use, you can seal it in ziploc baggies for long term storage.

The reason this method works is that as the ice freezes, it pushes the bubbles and contaminants and minerals down into the unfrozen water. The insulated container makes sure that it freezes in one direction, which allows it to push the contaminants in one direction instead of trapping them in the center of the ice.

TPA

Enlightened
Got busted ice maker? No ice maker?
Got Nyquil cups you keep but have no clue why?

Ice cubes.
Got a penny? Toss it on top of one of those frozen ice cubes. If for some reason your freezer defrosts, the penny will no longer be on-top of the ice, even if it freezes again. Very useful in places with frequent power outages, or if you have a dodgy Samsung refrigerator.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get a lot of house flies in my areas so it's really annoying when I do get one (I live near the coast and it's cooler here so we just don't get them). We don't have fly swatters and we don't have newspapers to make swatters with so I've figured out that an old tennis racket works great for swatting them when they're flying around. Just make sure you don't hit anything else...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't get a lot of house flies in my areas so it's really annoying when I do get one (I live near the coast and it's cooler here so we just don't get them). We don't have fly swatters and we don't have newspapers to make swatters with so I've figured out that an old tennis racket works great for swatting them when they're flying around. Just make sure you don't hit anything else...
You can order actual fly-swatters online. :)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
And my wife will throw them away.
Different pages, and it sounds like the flies aren't the problem.

One of my friends is permanently out of money, except whenever he and his girlfriend split up. Then he catches up on the bills, gets things he needs, then goes back to the poorhouse as soon as they get back together.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Latest Life Hack: How to save money.

Get rid of your girlfriend.
Note: This hack only works for men, or lesbians.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Latest Life Hack: How to save money.

Get rid of your girlfriend.
Note: This hack only works for men, or lesbians.
:crackup:

Unfortunately there's a lot of 'worse half's' in the world, famously guys with narcissistic, controlling leeches for girlfriends, and vice versa as well. Also unfortunately, we all know at least several of each.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
:crackup:

Unfortunately there's a lot of 'worse half's' in the world, famously guys with narcissistic, controlling leeches for girlfriends, and vice as well. Also unfortunately, we all know at least several of each.
True.

Some aren't even useful as flashlight mounts when changing a flat tire.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Okay.... Barely qualifies as a trick.
But, if you have big, fluffy bath-towels that never seem to dry by the time you shower the next day, try the following:

Get out of the shower. Use a smaller hand-towel to initially dry off. Just a quick wipe of all your body parts, except your back. Then use the bath-towel to dry off your back. With another sweep of the rest of your body parts. Hang up both towels, separately. Due to its smaller and thinner dimensions, the hand-towel will dry by tomorrow. Due to not being nearly as wet as usual, the bath-towel will be dry by tomorrow too.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elastic bands can be pretty effective fly killers for picking off resting flies.
Take a wide elastic band, place one end over the tip of an index finger, pull the band back with the other hand, take aim and let go.
Once you get your aiming sorted out, this can have a decent success rate.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone suggest a trick to get rid of fruit flies? A family member has them, and there is no obvious attraction such as exposed ripe/overripe fruit or vegetables.

At first I told them "fruities, be off with ye!" but they didn't listen. Next I contemplated starting a "fruit fly circus" (sort of like a flea circus) to at least make them useful, but it would be too much work. I also thought about chocolate-covered ants, perhaps same could be done with these little critters.

Seriously: at one time I tried a bit of over-ripe banana/peel in a plastic bag, waiting until they accumulated; closed the bag, took it outside and stomped on it. Not very effective. Perhaps there's a one-way trap mechanism which works. Somehow you need to get all of them, or they just keep going.

BTW at times in stores I've seen them hovering around onions, wondering why; and would it give them "onion breath?" :)

I recall high-school biology class, studying populations of fruit flies. Once a day, they were anesthetized with a drop of ether, counted, then allowed to recover. Ether is risky and not practical, perhaps there's something better/safer?

I see suggestion for spraying Windex, however around food doesn't sound good.

Dave

DRW

Enlightened
Put some cider vinegar in a saucer, a couple drops of dish soap, they will fall into it and drown.

To get rid of them, you need to clean up the source of rotting fruit/veggie. We had them real bad and found a bag of acorn squash we forgot about in the basement.