Neat household MacGyver tricks you've learned

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
Sick & tired of your legislated, wimpy, low-flow toilet?

Here's an easy fix, and it's legal too. Just get yourself a plastic basin that is square and deep, the type used for soaking feet, and fill it up nearly to the brim with warm water. Now just pour it into your low-flow toilet.

Now your toilet works the way it's supposed to. The way it would be working if a bunch of [email protected]$$ law-makers didn't waste time passing Feel-Good legislation.

A low-flow toilet is fine for little old ladies and children. But sometimes, it just doesn't get the job done when a real man uses it. Cause some of us work hard for a living, and we get hungry. And a cup of soup and half a sandwich at a trendy, over-priced, boutique cafe just ain't going to satisfy a real man.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Yesterday I heard a folky song on the radio from a lady who has extolling the virtues of "bailing twine" and how no one should be without some at all times. Good advice. My late father would have understood. He used little bits of string for everything.

Geoff

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
To remove wallpaper or border, use one part fabric softener to 10 parts water and put it in a spray bottle. Peel away some of the top coat, spray, wait a few minutes, then it comes right off.

My wife spent more than 2 days removing a border and there was a lot of damage to fix.

I picked up this tip from the internet, and did a similar sized room in about an hour.

DimmerD

Enlightened
It wasn't in the house but I will still share. Went fishing and it was raining bad, so we stayed in the camp. After 3 hours of hard rain my friend said the bilge pump wasn't automatic on the boat and we needed to check it. Sure enough the boat was full of water. The wires to the bulge pump were submerged and he couldn't get the pump started, so I started to bail with a bucket. I wasn't getting anywhere quickly and my friend started to panic. I grabbed a chunk of styrofoam from a broken ice chest and broke it in two. I told him to jam the wire connections from the battery to the pump into the chunks of styrofoam. As soon as he did they floated to the top of the water and the pump started immediately! He actually called me MacGyver after that.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sick & tired of your legislated, wimpy, low-flow toilet?

Here's an easy fix, and it's legal too. Just get yourself a plastic basin that is square and deep, the type used for soaking feet, and fill it up nearly to the brim with warm water. Now just pour it into your low-flow toilet.

Now your toilet works the way it's supposed to. The way it would be working if a bunch of [email protected]$$ law-makers didn't waste time passing Feel-Good legislation.

A low-flow toilet is fine for little old ladies and children. But sometimes, it just doesn't get the job done when a real man uses it. Cause some of us work hard for a living, and we get hungry. And a cup of soup and half a sandwich at a trendy, over-priced, boutique cafe just ain't going to satisfy a real man.

You need try a Niagara Flapperless toilet.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
This is kind of the opposite of the Things I've learned the hard way thread. Have you learned of any neat little tricks where you've used household materials for uncommon applications?
How about making a HDTV antenna that can pull in much more channels then any local store brought rabbet ears and such. It resembles antennas like a db4 antenna.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1061184/hdtv_coat_hanger_antenna_babblin5_review/ which is a review (and easier to follow) of this one

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Maybe you already know this one but I've just discovered it -

I grind my coffee at the supermarket and keep it in it's little paper bag. It doesn't seem to take long foro it to go stale, and keeping it in the fridge doesn't help much because of the condensation that forms. The paper is just too porous to the air.

So I've recently discovered that if I put the paper bag of coffee inside a plastic bag and wrap it up tightly, it lasts far longer. A very simple trick that I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize much earlier! :p

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I recently purchased a screen printing kit; This kit includes a Diazo photo emulsion system for reproducing pictures, logos, etc.

It needed an exposure lamp. The manual suggested a 2250w incandescent photoflood bulb or an unfiltered UVA blacklight fluorescent lamp. I had neither on hand so I looked up the Diazo emulsion requirements, and it's peak wavelength sensitivity seems to be in the blue-violet range.

I thought about taking one of my Philips "alien head" remote phosphor LED bulbs and removing the plastic lenses, but the LEDs are arranged in different planes so they wouldn't shine in the same direction, and the reflector that I have isn't deep enough to correct the beam pattern. Then I remembered that I have a couple of Utilitech remote phosphor bulbs where the blue LEDs are all arranged in the same plane. Not only that, the phosphor lenses are very easy to remove via two tiny philips screws.

So I pulled the lenses off of a 75w equivalent LED bulb, set it up as my exposure lamp and it worked well. I now have an inexpensive, rugged, low-wattage "Diazo Blue" exposure lamp for my screen printing setup. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Saw this one on another forum tonight -

If you're having trouble opening a jar lid and you don't have one of those gripper pads handy, use the bottom of a mouse pad. It's essentially the same material.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
if you take the mcmuffin part of a egg mcmuffin and place one on each ear you will look silly

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
Saw this one on another forum tonight -

If you're having trouble opening a jar lid and you don't have one of those gripper pads handy, use the bottom of a mouse pad. It's essentially the same material.

My mouse pad has a wrist pad built in. I use the triangle end of a kitchen bottle-opener. The end you use to punch holes into large fruit punch cans for large gatherings. Very carefully place the tip up underneath the lid. Now very slowly pry back and forth. Both towards and away from you. Do it several times, until just a bit of air slips in and thus breaks the vacuum seal. Now just twist the jar off with zero resistance. If you do it too hard, the tip is going to slip and the momentum will send the sharp tip most likely into your chest. Not deeply, but it'll likely hurt. Thankfully, Mono's got a gentle touch. :cool:

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
how to peel a bunch of cloves of garlic.

cut the tips off of both ends
throw the cloves into a covered pot,
Shake them really hard for twenty strikes or so.

For the most part, all of the skins will be separated from the cloves.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I've never had a one eyed bandit aiming a bazooka at me while I used chewing gum, a pipe wrench and duct tape to take him out but I have learned how to use a few ordinary items to make life better.

Got gutter nails that keep working loose.
Rubber cement. Fills the gap, glues them and remains flexible year round.

Best yard fertilizer money can't buy. 50/50 ground up tree leaves and grass clippings. Either composted or spread as is any time of year, as often as desired.

Got tree roots trying to enter your sewer: pour bleach in the bath drain a couple of times a month. Do it last thing in your day so it can set in the outgoing pipe overnight.

Golf shoes make great lawn aerators. Wear them while using your push mower.

Mirrors multiply candle or flashlight output in lights out events.

Magnifying glass and newspaper can start a charcoal grill. Stack 3 loosely balled up pages in a metal coffee can at a slight angle with newspaper protruding out, then your coals over the paper. Use magnifier to light newspaper. Only works on sunny days though. But a bic lighter will light newspaper any time.

Tuna can covered with foil and filled with soaked wood chips makes a great burger/steak/chicken smoker. Poke holes in foil and set onto coals or burner. More/larger holes smokes faster. Less/smaller holes smokes slower.

That's all I got for now.