Nebo?

Blindguy

Newly Enlightened
I did a search in the budget forum and didn't find Nebo listed. Are they not considered lower end or did they improve their lights?
Reason I'm asking is because I am somewhat interested in the one they call 'select' but haven't found enough positive or negatives reviews on it.
If I missed it, can someone point me in the right direction?

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
Not that this means anything, but frankly, until I saw your post, I never even heard of "Nebo."

I took a look around, and seems like they may be pretty good flashlights. Hard to say without ever having owned one. It appears that a company called "Nebo Tools" has a flashlight division (whether that is a marketing or manufacturing division is not clear to me). I tried to take a look at their website, but for some reason I couldn't access it.

I also took a look at a Nebo "select" (5620) flashlight for sale on Amazon. It certainly has some nice features. I especially like their mode selector switch that keeps you from having to cycle through all the modes each time you want to use it.

I wish they would tell us what kind of emitter it uses. I guess it is likely not a Cree or they would probably publicize that fact. Based on buyer reviews on Amazon and a "sort of" review on www.ar15.com, however, it seems to be relatively bright, whatever emitter they are using.

But, frankly, I was kind of taken aback by the price. At $35.00 (or very near) there are many many very good flashlights to choose from. I think I would question whether or not this flashlight is any better or even "as good as" other lights in that price range.

I also noticed that it comes with 2 sets of alkaline batteries (1 set inside the light, and 1 spare set). As this fact indicates, this flashlght is going to go through AAA cells like there is no tomorrow. You are going want a good set of Eneloops (preferably, Pros or XX if you can find them) to feed it. Besides the obvious risk of leaks (especially when alkaline cells are driven this hard?), I think you will quickly grow tired of purchasing alkaline AAA cells which tend to be quite expensive given their limited capacity. (3xAAA cells are the equivalent of about 1xAA cell.)

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. I don't really know anything about this particular flashlight.

If it really looks like what you want, why don't you buy it and then tell us all what you think, after you have used it a little while.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think NEBO is considered sub-lower end to be honest. Now having said that I have a couple of their lights around and the tiny little AA "angle-head" light I have is very useful for work partly because it gives me a local flood to do instrument readings with but -mostly- because I wouldn't be very upset if I lost it.

Blindguy

Newly Enlightened
You bring up some good points. I completely forgot about the AAA batteries. Just for that reason alone I will probably pass on this one. I do like the features it offers but in the end, if you can't afford to feed it...

cloggy

Newly Enlightened
I too have found their website, they have some interesting products.
I'm intrigued by the Lumo clip light, it looks very similar to the Jil Lite Costel, a favourite
of mine, but with fewer lumens and considerably cheaper.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen some of their products around here and they are on the low end of the scale. With the odd looking emitters. They do make good cheap lights for loaning out to the co-worker who constantly misplaces the tools he borrows. I'd rather he misplace my Nebo than my EagleTac. And so far, the one I have still works. It is a single AA light.

sicko

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nebo Redline SE (#5638) which I got a couple months ago, and although I don't use it that much it's done it's job. I got it on a whim for a little under $30, and overall I'm happy with it. Mine is very bright, and I love the broad filled beam you get when you zoom-out with it.

My only two issues with it are: 1) for the price I expect better machining, the tail cap on mine has some sharp edges which will cut you if you're not careful when trying to unscrew it. 2) The switch is supposed to turn red when the battery is low, however mine didn't turn red until the light was already too low to be usable. I feel it's important to note that the red light may have switched on and I just missed it. I don't think that happened, but I can't rule out the possibility.

As I mentioned the light itself is very bright, and I've had friends ask me about it when they've seen me use it. Whenever I've been asked about it, I recommend the light because I haven't had any major issues other than the two already mentioned. Though should mention that I believe the low level is still too bright. On low you can easily walk through your house or light the path as you go around your neighborhood, and I feel it would be just a touch too bright if I was trying to read by it. Others might like it, but it'd be a bit brighter than what I'd like.

Other things to note, the magnet on mine is fine. It will hold the light vertically or horizontally with ease, however it's not strong enough to hold if it gets a decent bump. Also, I feel it's too big in diameter to be an EDC (though I don't have the need for an EDC light). Some people might not mind throwing something its size in their pocket, but for me it's bigger than I'd like. I wouldn't mind that much if I was tossing it in my jacket pocket. But if I was going to carry it in my pants pocket, I'd rather have a 2-AA light that was thinner which I could clip on the side of my pocket, then to have a light this wide in my pocket.

Overall I'm happy with the light and will continue to use it until it breaks, or I lose it.

survialist89

Newly Enlightened
i too have a nebo redline and for all it can do i think it was almost worth the 30$ i spent on it.4 modes and focusable beam is an A+ in my book.the blueline is made pretty crappy,altho there durable on the outside the internals and l.e.d is crap and not worth the 20$.havent really played with other nebo models.

also the colored rings on bothe the redline and blue line are cheap plastic garbage.i would definitly get someone to make a metal version of it.iv had mine for about a year and its starting to wear out already.the led is kinda starting to yellow and the ground connector on the led driver is getting worn out due to me taking the whole thing apart.

Last edited:

bstaff

Newly Enlightened
I have the Select model and previously owned the Redline. The Redline was dropped and stopped working. For some reason I spent the money on the Select. The only reason I can figure is for the flood which is fairly unique in my opinion. There is absolutely no hotspot, just pure flood (maybe that's common with zoom able lights). I keep this one bedside in case of power outages and what not. Because of the wide flood there's no glare or bounce back off the walls. Lights up a dark house very well. The spot feature is laughable once you own a higher end light. The magnetic tail cap is nice and stays put. It has a "stealth ring" which is designed to cover up the red ring around the head. It is fairly worthless and gets annoying when you adjust the beam.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a select, a blue line, and two other models of redlines. Nebo's are like Coast lights in a way. They like using the 3 AAA configuration in most of their lights, which to me, puts them on the mid-low end. The Select is my favorite only because of its looks and the selector ring, however, I paid about 40-50 dollars for it which was way too much. The low-med-high is done well on it (10-50-300 lumens), but the high is NOT 300! Since it takes 3AAA's the runtime on it will suffer. Do not get into a habit of taking apart the head. The bezel screws onto the red plastic piece under it, and I bet it will strip if you play with it too much. Overall, they are not bad, but you can do better for the money.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first read this header on this post, I thought something was fishy! I read Nemo instead of Nebo! Ha! Seriously for fun, you can try and swap out the 3 AAA for one 14500. If you cut some PVC pipe or something of the like, you can make adapter that will probably fit. So instead of working off 3 AAA, you use One 14500. That trick will work with alot of the Budget 3 AAA lights.

I have checked out the Nebo lights, I don't see the quality being up to par for the $30 plus dollar range.

fonaryk

Newly Enlightened
I have a few Nebo lights kicking about although I never spent anywhere near their srp's. They seem to be in every NAPA

location, many ACE hardware stores and such. I think the old standby applies, you pay for what you get. Mine work fine

and no worries about dings ,dents or losses. I've given many out to young nephews as Christmas gifts or just for fun and

they love them. Tacticool for a few shekels.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first read this header on this post, I thought something was fishy! I read Nemo instead of Nebo! Ha! Seriously for fun, you can try and swap out the 3 AAA for one 14500. If you cut some PVC pipe or something of the like, you can make adapter that will probably fit. So instead of working off 3 AAA, you use One 14500. That trick will work with alot of the Budget 3 AAA lights.

I have checked out the Nebo lights, I don't see the quality being up to par for the $30 plus dollar range.

A 14500 or other battery like that will not work. The battery carriers in these lights have odd connections on both ends. They are not just your standard single - and + terminals.

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
I have the Redline Select. It's OK... The pattern has a distinct round shape like a stage spotlight, with barely any spill, which can get annoying. The light is a fairly cool white color. The lens is plastic and scratches easily. The tail is magnetic so you can stick it onto things sideways. The button lights up red when the batteries are low. It's kind of thick for pocket carry.

You can completely unscrew the focus ring/lens head to use it as s room lantern.

Now that I have a Fenix PD32UE, I don't even use the Nebo.

jmoyat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too was surprised not to find Nebo on this forum.. a Nebo my first light which got me into this flashlight frenzy! I bought a Nebo O2 Beam 420 lumen at my local hardware store because it "looked cool", and soon enough, I discovered I could get so much more from smaller flashlights with only a single 18500 battery!!! This first Nebo requires 4 AA batteries for a mere 420 lumen! But I have to pay respect to this (fairly large) light, which made me discover the world of flashlights.. Though I am running out of space on my bedside table, Nebo o2 may have to go sometime..
[h=1][/h]

BBeard

Newly Enlightened
I have two Nebo 50 lumen AA flashlights that I picked up for ten dollars at a local feed store. I use one every day at work. I m an electrician in an industrial setting. I find them to be a good work light. Not overpowering and the clip is right to put on the brim of a baseball cap. The second one I am using when I let the dog out but it's reallyl not powerful enough. In complete darkness outside at night it will let you see where you are walking just fine. A good option for a really cheap flashlight that has much further throw is an Ultrafire aa with adjustable focus. They are usually 3-6.00 online.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also purchased a few of the $10, "50 lumen" 1xAA Nebos.

I wasn't impressed. Plastic lens, non-CREE LED, incredibly dim output, single mode. Even though it was advertised at 50 lumens, I suspect actual output was closer to 10 or 15 lumens. The tint was a very cool and unpleasant blue white. For $10 or or even $5 you can get a much brighter and more useful light. (The Sipik 68 and its many CREE XRE and XPE powered clones are far better).

The Nebo lights feel like a throwback. It feels like ... 2004 LED technology in 2014.

The Nebo lights have just one redeeming feature: They feature a very nice rubber grip sleeve, which does a fantastic job of increasing grip. So far I haven't found any other manufacturers who sell 1xAA size lights with rubber grip sleeves.

The Nebo lights I purchased recently I bought specifically so I could salvage the grip sleeve to put on other lights.

Last edited:

Desdinova

Newly Enlightened
I did a search in the budget forum and didn't find Nebo listed. Are they not considered lower end or did they improve their lights?
Reason I'm asking is because I am somewhat interested in the one they call 'select' but haven't found enough positive or negatives reviews on it.
If I missed it, can someone point me in the right direction?

I recently saw a Nebo vehicle cigarette lighter, single LED, rechargeable light on Amazon, that I almost bought. It was very highly rated. Looked pretty cool. Check it out. Maybe they're OK.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Nebo CSI Edge that gets used around the house a lot. Definately a low end light, and I don't think I would spend $10 on it again- but $5 definately. Handy little sucker. Bright enough for "around the house" stuff, too. I won't lie, I like the dang thing even though its kinda crappy :twothumbs

Phoebus

Newly Enlightened
I saw some Nebo brand lights at a local military surplus store I was in. All I remember is that they were small and had a pocket clip. Don't know if they ran on AAA or AA batteries, though.