Need 800 lumens for 8hr

letschat7

Suspended
If you aren't in Czechoslovakia you can't make payment. Otherwise I'd have a headlamp 8k lm. After using my Silva Spectra last night I'm really curious how the Lucifer performs. It may even be better since Spectra can't maintain 10k to save it's life. Maybe on a windy day in Antarctica, then just maybe.

tonkem

Enlightened
If you aren't in Czechoslovakia you can't make payment. Otherwise I'd have a headlamp 8k lm. After using my Silva Spectra last night I'm really curious how the Lucifer performs. It may even be better since Spectra can't maintain 10k to save it's life. Maybe on a windy day in Antarctica, then just maybe.
Lupine has the Alpha, at 8100 lumens, but it is not specifically a headlamp, but a helmet light. And $1300 for just the lamp head.

letschat7

Suspended
Hmm I may have to give that one a look. Maybe around 8000 lumens is the sweet spot for head lamps like 500 is for hand held lights?

letschat7

Suspended
It seems that may work with the bike mounts. I'm really interested in this. Of course I can see it now: $50 bike $1200 bike light

Asusvivobook

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. The Pilot looks great but out my budget. That Lucifer was my next choice but not available.

I ended up getting the Fenix hp25r. It's damn near perfect - both flood and spot at my choosing. Solid clicky buttons. A tad heavy but that was expected. The only fault I see is the horrible cold blue tint 🥶

Maybe, with the accumulative knowledge on this site, I can swap the led for something warmer and make this the perfect headlamp.

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. That hp30r is huge! It might be built for a hard hat. I need smaller, and mobile.

I'm willing to build a battery pack to give any headlamp more runtime, but I need to know what light to work on.

Is That Fenix hp25r my best external-battery-headlamp option?
It isn't just a question of changing the power source. The light itself will overheat and step-down.

I think having a goal for something more along the lines of 350-400 lumens for 8 hours would probably be more realistic. - with a 21700 or bigger if not wanting to change out batteries.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
When is Lucifer lights going to be able to sell outside of Czechoslovakia?
We normally ship worldwide, with three packages to the US this week alone. We have had ONE payment in the past that for some unknown reason did not go through the payment gateway, it appears to have been the letshachat7 payment. I then checked with support why this happened, they changed some settings and said it's fine now.

tonkem

Enlightened
We normally ship worldwide, with three packages to the US this week alone. We have had ONE payment in the past that for some unknown reason did not go through the payment gateway, it appears to have been the letshachat7 payment. I then checked with support why this happened, they changed some settings and said it's fine now.
Ok, good to know. Thanks for the response

I ordered one of the headlamps that brother sirprtr mentioned in his post above. My payment went through without issue, and I received confirmation that payment was received within two minutes of completing the transaction. No worries mate, order with confidence.

tonkem

Enlightened
I ordered one of the headlamps that brother sirprtr mentioned in his post above. My payment went through without issue, and I received confirmation that payment was received within two minutes of completing the transaction. No worries mate, order with confidence.
Which one did you get? When will the Lucifer X be available again, sirprtr?

I ordered the Z2 Micro, the smallest of the Lucifer line. It's powered by a single 18500 cell. I wanted a small, robust light for travel, but one that nevertheless offerers a relatively long run time coupled with a broad range of illumination levels.

I'll post my impressions once the light is received. Stay tuned...:popcorn:

tonkem

Enlightened
I ordered the Z2 Micro, the smallest of the Lucifer line. It's powered by a single 18500 cell. I wanted a small, robust light for travel, but one that nevertheless offerers a relatively long run time coupled with a broad range of illumination levels.

I'll post my impressions once the light is received. Stay tuned...:popcorn:
I use a Zebralight H600 MkIII 18650 headlamp, using 1 18650 and is good for 12 hrs at 120 lumens, so I was looking at the Lucifer lights for higher output for longer run times. I used to have a Lupine Pike Headlamp at 1300 lumens max, with the battery being carried on the head strap itself, but I could not justify keeping it when the Zebralight had non proprietary batteries and similar output. I liked the Lupine lights, but their more powerful lights are very expensive and use proprietary batteries, as do the Lucifer lights, except a few that use standard cells, like the light you ordered. I may have to pickup the L+ to check it out, as I like how the battery (using the 4 cell hardpack) can reside on the back of the headlamp and not have to be carried in a pocket, etc. I am also looking at the S2x+ as it takes a standard 18650 as well. It looks like the charger that comes with the light is not US spec. How would you charge the battery with a US plug, any adapters or just another charging cable?

As to tariffs, this is my first Lucifer light, so no idea yet. Average tariff rates on goods from the Czech Republic were 1.2 - 2.7% as of 2023. I doubt things have changed enough to worry about a rate not likely to exceed $5 on my purchase.

Last edited:

borrower

Enlightened
... I am also looking at the S2x+ as it takes a standard 18650 as well. It looks like the charger that comes with the light is not US spec. How would you charge the battery with a US plug, any adapters or just another charging cable?

For what it's worth, I just pull the 18650 out of the case and stick it into my normal 4 bay charger.

And regarding tariffs, my experience is a little out of date, but I didn't get dinged with any additional costs. YMMV.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Which one did you get? When will the Lucifer X be available again, sirprtr?
I hope that we will have X2 at the end of this year, but please don't take the date as 100%, there are many things that we are still developing. Of course, we try to make it as soon as possible, because we already have a few customers waiting for this headlamp. But this year we will make a lot of changes to the headlamps, aesthetic, functional, production, however, most headlamps will not increase their light output or runtimes, because the S2X+, M6+ and L+ already have the most powerful Cree XP-L2 diodes with the W3 bin. The X2 headtorch will also get these new diodes, so its performance will increase. By the way, we also develop our own TIR optics. We will have interchangeable buttons in many colors and we are considering an aluminum case with batteries for this headlamp.

I use a Zebralight H600 MkIII 18650 headlamp, using 1 18650 and is good for 12 hrs at 120 lumens, so I was looking at the Lucifer lights for higher output for longer run times. I used to have a Lupine Pike Headlamp at 1300 lumens max, with the battery being carried on the head strap itself, but I could not justify keeping it when the Zebralight had non proprietary batteries and similar output. I liked the Lupine lights, but their more powerful lights are very expensive and use proprietary batteries, as do the Lucifer lights, except a few that use standard cells, like the light you ordered. I may have to pickup the L+ to check it out, as I like how the battery (using the 4 cell hardpack) can reside on the back of the headlamp and not have to be carried in a pocket, etc. I am also looking at the S2x+ as it takes a standard 18650 as well. It looks like the charger that comes with the light is not US spec. How would you charge the battery with a US plug, any adapters or just another charging cable?
These headlamps are quite different. Firstly, there are headlamps without cables such as Zebralight or our Lucifer Z2Mini, they are packable, waterproof, practical to wear, but in order not to put pressure on the head, in my opinion, the maximum possible cell is 18650. This limits runtime quite a bit, so the maximum is e.g. 850 lumens per 1h45. By their very nature, with all the weight only in the front, they are not comfortable for active sports such as running.

The second type of headlamps are headlamps with a cable and one replaceable 18650 cell. This is for example our Lucifer S2X+, we highly recommend it for running, even ultra-running, because the total weight is low and the weight is perfectly distributed on the head. You can run all night with this headlamp on your head and you won't feel a headache in the morning (ask me why I know that :)). The runtime is very similar to the Z2Mini (same LEDs and the same battery), i.e. 1050 lumens for 1h45.

The last type of headlamps are with a cable and multiple cells. They are heavier on the head but can still be comfortable because the weight is distributed between the front and back. They can then offer the highest performance, because more batteries are able to supply a given current for a long time without a major drop in voltage. Simply, more LEDs, more batteries/larger capacity. E.g. our M6+ headlamp can deliver 1900 lumens for 1h45 or our Lucifer L+ can shine 3500lm for 1h40. All of course with constant brightness/regulation. These batterypacks usually cannot be combined with user replaceable cells. This is not because the user has to pay for an expensive proprietary solution, but simply because each protected battery and each contact of the spring adds tens to hundreds of mOhms and when all such resistance is added up, it causes the voltage to drop very much at maximum brightness (= current of several amperes). Runtime is then lower. Of course, it's possible that some companies make it that way, but it doesn't make sense to us, because we always try to give the customer the maximum possible/manufacturable with the current worlds technology.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
@DaveTheDude, Reviewers state Lucifer headlamps (imo lousy name) are well constructed, top notch machining and UI..

Are US customers stuck paying a tariff fee on top of the selling price?
Lucifer, though associated with Satan, means light bearing or light bearer and was comparable with the morning star, Venus (actually a planet), the brightest light other than the moon in the night sky. Lucifer was Satan's name as an angel of light, before he was cast out of heaven for his pride thinking he should be worshipped like God.