Need a "grab bag" of lenses for new EnVee laser

Kwizatz Haderach

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the 60 mW EnVee laser from LucentOptics on Sunday and am looking for a mix of surplus lenses/prisims. I found a grab bag at Edmund Scientifics but not much else. Anyone have a better idea for an surplus optics supplier?

Two questions for any EnVee owners: Can you use Lithium AA size batteries in the laser and by 100% Duty Cycle does that mean you can basicly run the laser till the batteries run out?

thanks
smile.gif

SenKat

Enlightened
Okay - you have GOT to buy this kit ! :naughty:

Go to www.optotronics.com - they have an optics kit that is out of this world ! They have FOUR diffraction gratings in there - that alone makes it worth while, as the Diffraction gratings themselves are VERY expensive ! Now - I have not taken a picture of the contents yet - but there is literally hundreds of dollars worth of optics in this thing....no - I do not work for them, although I heartily endorse their optics kit - as I just bought one, and it is awesome. 100% worth the money, and then some !

Kwizatz Haderach

Newly Enlightened
Thanks SenKat, that's looks like just what I need. Now just for a Cylindrical lens for making a laser line and maybe a Neutral Density filter to drop down the beam for low power use. I'll need some saftey goggles of course but they are easy to find.

Thanks again
grinser2.gif

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, for laser optics the optotronics kit is the best I can think of. Surplusshed.com also has an interesting $25 grab bag that has even more stuff, but not really as laser appropriate.

As for the Envee, you can use liths in them fine. Be wary about saying 100% duty cycle though. From what I can tell, they are fine to use till the batteries drain without worrying about killing the laser. However they don't stay anywhere near stable on a 100% duty cycle. I have/have had >120mW ones, and after a few minutes they won't be topping 30mW due to the heat's effect on efficiency. Let them cool down again and they are fine though, so its all up to you whether or not you consider that a duty cycle.

Kwizatz Haderach

Newly Enlightened
Thanks pseudo, I'm going to get that opto kit and most likely the AL2 saftey glasses from wicked.

I was worried at first about the glasses only having an O.D. of 2 at 532nm but upon further research I found that translates into an attenuation factor of 100 !

Even at a peak of 60 mW from the EnVee the glasses would bring that down to 0.6 mW if I understand that correctly. Not that I plan to look down the beam glasses or not.
yellowlaugh.gif

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I have a few pairs of those OD 2-3 WL goggles and they should easily handle a 60mW. It might be pushing it a little, but I still even use them with an RPL 300mW without problem.

bridaw

Newly Enlightened
I'll second that on the optics kit from optotronics! I have not had time to play with everything in my kit but it is well worth the money. In fact you can even get your optics kit free with the purchase of the RPL-260 or RPL-300 (while supplies last). I just got the (super) optics kit with my RPL-300 this past Saturday. :) My eye protection has not arrived yet. :( I'll post more about the RPL-300 when I can play with it and not worry about frying my eyes.

I also picked up some stuff from edmund scientific. I got the bags of prisms, optical components, and lenses (prisms still on BO). I also got a demonstration lens set which is pretty cool and a 6 piece optic set in a box, a couple first surface mirrors and some other items. I wanted items for light experiments with my son. The grab bags are nice since I don't have to worry if they get scratched or chipped (more). Of course they are also fun with laser pointers.

Last edited:

Kwizatz Haderach

Newly Enlightened
Was about to order the $49.99 glasses from wicked. Then I saw $18.99 for shipping. To Oregon no less. Must come in a three foot tall box filled with foam peanuts
rant.gif

Oh well, looks like Toolking then.

*** EDIT *** Check my post at the end of "Did we ever determine..Laser goggles" thread. This may be the answer.

Last edited:

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
I would stay away from the toolking deal. The $19 shipping is because they come express EMS from China. You can get the green lasershades for $40+$19 shipping, and use a promo link to get 5% off which should bring you to about $50. My reasoning is that: If you can't afford laser goggles, you can't afford a laser.

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened
That optotronics grab bag looks pretty good to me too. paypal here we come :)